U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What do you like to complain about on LI?
Property Taxes 33 63.46%
Sales Tax 9 17.31%
Income Tax 7 13.46%
Public Employee Unions 11 21.15%
Highly compensated public employees #1: public school teachers 12 23.08%
Highly compensated public employees #2: police 13 25.00%
Traffic 22 42.31%
Illegal Aliens 18 34.62%
Street Gangs 8 15.38%
Land Rover drivers 6 11.54%
Politicians 12 23.08%
Drug abuse 5 9.62%
Crime 8 15.38%
Guidos and Guidettes 10 19.23%
Soccer Moms in SUVs 13 25.00%
Cheapo Employers 9 17.31%
LIRR 9 17.31%
Write In: (make a post about it) 9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2010, 02:19 PM

5,856 posts, read 6,629,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
WHAT do you have? i am looking. be specific
I already said it- amazing wineries (I am a huge wine conosseuir, I have tasted wine from all over the world and LI wine is among my favourites!), ferries to CT and Fire Island (which really is quite a world of it's own), 1-2hrs to NYC (which is easily accessible by the LIRR- although I am not a fan of the LIRR, it's a good alternative to not driving in), beaches on both the north shore & south shore (which are for the most part pretty clean- I like them), both surburban & rural living, Montauk, nice homes, moderately-upscale mall shopping as well as outlet shopping, The Hamptons, 2 lighthouses (perhaps more? they are very pretty!), fishing, great restaurants, kayaking (nissequogue/reynolds channel- many more places), great nightlife for all kinds of clientele...

there's so much more but I don't want to hurt your eyes
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
oh and that just changed my mind. completely. i am sorry i was just missing all the stuff that LI offers, and with one line you explained it all to me...NOT.
best real estate? must have never left LI, have you now jdawg. i tell you, there is real life outside LI. i promise you. take my word for it. the world is wide. no really. it is
I didn't say best, I said some of most expensive...and that is not an opinion, it's a fact.

Full List: America's Most Expensive ZIP Codes - Forbes.com

many LI zip codes to be found here

Old 04-06-2010, 05:28 PM

2,846 posts, read 5,875,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
I complain about the complaining nature of many LIers. It's like no one can just be happy with what they have, who they are or where they are going. Too many grumpy people who are just unhappy with life in general. Hard to take sometimes.
I checked off a few on the list, but this is actually my biggest complaint too!

I'm not trying to say LI is perfect and there is nothing at all to complain about (check any one of the probably hundred or so posts I've written in the property tax/teachers/cops/etc. threads LOL), but some stuff just makes me go

Look at that list JdAwG wrote, we really do have a lot to offer and a wonderful location. I have no desire to live anywhere else, it'd never be the same.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:37 PM

2,846 posts, read 5,875,019 times
Oh here's another write-in:

Hardcore Billy Joel fans

BJ's music is "okay", not a huge fan but I've got nothing against the guy. It's just kind of embarrassing that we've got hordes of college kids, and college kids trapped in grown man bodies, whose biggest thrill in life is seeing Big Shot play "Downeaster Alexa" at The Crazy Donkey.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

Hardcore Billy Joel fans

BJ's music is "okay", not a huge fan but I've got nothing against the guy. It's just kind of embarrassing that we've got hordes of college kids, and college kids trapped in grown man bodies, whose biggest thrill in life is seeing Big Shot play "Downeaster Alexa" at The Crazy Donkey.
I love his music...but I am told he didn't pay his musicians.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:17 PM

239 posts, read 333,020 times
Quote:

Hardcore Billy Joel fans

I couldn't agree more. Billy Joel's music is not what bothers me; it's the Billy Joel "culture" that I find irritating! (The same applies to Dave Matthews Band, but that's not a Long Island thing).

Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 PM

554 posts, read 573,279 times
Quote:

Hardcore Billy Joel fans
LOL

I actually like living here too and I don't participate in most of the threads that are devoted to complaints. I could list all of the things I do like but that would be OT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yeah they tend to forget all the middle and upper class hispanics. They DO exist!
Yes, lots of middle class families. Just like mine.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:19 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,200,030 times
Default Complainers

I complain about complainers. If I didn't I'd just limit my complaining about "Death Race: The Commute" Soccer Moms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island