Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:38 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-li View Post
I've been in the pool business for like 12 years or so, maybe more.
It took me until last summer with the begging and pleading of my wife and kids to finally build a pool. I know better
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-li View Post
We're getting one this summer. Is it really that terrible?!?
For a guy that works on them 70+ hours a week 8 months a year...
Then has to come home and do it all again...
YES!

Honestly, a pool is great to have if you have the time and patience to maintain it. Or the dough to hire a company to maintain it.
Some people just don't realize what they're getting into as far as taking care of a pool, which doesn't always stop at the end of the summer.
Sometimes things happen to the pool over the winter too.
It's a big responsibility, a pool is not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 03:10 PM

128 posts, read 340,559 times
I grew up with a pool. I loved it as a kid, have some great memories. I intend on installing one down the line. Nothing beats a nice backyard with pavers, a BBQ and an in ground pool. To those that say it may be a negative, just some food for thought. In-laws recently sold their house (which had an inground pool). I believe one couple commented that they didn’t want a pool (they were older with no kids) the other younger couples that were looking at the house ate it right up. Granted it was the middle of July and the pool looked great, but I think it was icing on the cake. Its a personal choice but I don’t see it as a deterrent. For everyone person that doesnt like it, I would be willing to gamble that there are 2 that wouldnt mind a nice inground pool.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:39 PM

7 posts, read 15,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
anyone know how much value a $30k pool adds to the house like 10 years later when you try to sell?
Add? LOL - If I were buying a house with a pool, I would subtract the cost of filling it with dirt and planting some sod from the asking price.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
I grew up with a pool. I loved it as a kid, have some great memories. I intend on installing one down the line. Nothing beats a nice backyard with pavers, a BBQ and an in ground pool. To those that say it may be a negative, just some food for thought. In-laws recently sold their house (which had an inground pool). I believe one couple commented that they didn’t want a pool (they were older with no kids) the other younger couples that were looking at the house ate it right up. Granted it was the middle of July and the pool looked great, but I think it was icing on the cake. Its a personal choice but I don’t see it as a deterrent. For everyone person that doesnt like it, I would be willing to gamble that there are 2 that wouldnt mind a nice inground pool.
I grew up with a pool. It was fun while I was a kid, but as I grew old enough to maintain it, it became my job. Testing, chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing the filter...I grew to loathe the pool.

My SIL has an inground -- no one uses it.
My MIL & FIL had their pool filled in -- no one used it.

My husband wanted a pool -- I asked him how much more he wants to pay in taxes, and asked what the point is installing something that is a liability year round and only usable for a few months?

For me there's nothing worse than covering one's backyard with pavers, cutting down the shade trees and having a giant hole in the earth full of water to have to keep pets and critters out. But that's just me. If it pleases someone else -- more power to them!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
It is my understanding a pool adds zero value.
Further, 1/2 of the potential buyers view a pool as a negative, not a positive.

That's about right!

High end properties can be the exception.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:59 AM

335 posts, read 935,032 times
Hotkarl: we are currently looking at a home in a high-end area with an inground pool built in 1960. What should we be looking for concerning the condition of the pool shell and also the mechanicals? Is this something that the home inspection will cover as well??? (I never had a pool so I am ignorant to these things). Thanks

Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modmondays View Post
Hotkarl: we are currently looking at a home in a high-end area with an inground pool built in 1960. What should we be looking for concerning the condition of the pool shell and also the mechanicals? Is this something that the home inspection will cover as well??? (I never had a pool so I am ignorant to these things). Thanks
Pools usually are not covered by a home inspection. You would have to hire a pool company to do the inspection, I strongly suggest you have someone look at the pool and make sure it's in good shape. If you don't know what to look for it could cost you a small fortune to correct any problems. Being that the weather is getting nice now, you should ask that the homeowner have the pool opened and up and running, if they refuse I would be a little suspicious. This has happened many times where the homeowner is trying to hide some sort of issue, in that case you need to have escrow held just to be sure everything is ok. Sometimes the homeowner is just plain old cheap and doesn't feel like dealing with the expense and upkeep of the pool when they know they are selling. I'm telling you from my years in the business, don't believe it when they tell you everything is fine with the pool. I've had people buy a home with a pool and have to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars in repairs and/or renovations. The best line is "everything was good last summer".
Feel free to send me a PM for more info.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:24 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
I think people overthink pool ownership. It's not hard, and costs me $200 per season in chemicals to maintain. If you pick an appropriate site (NO trees) and learn some simple concepts (The filter has to have water in it to actually work) it's really no big deal.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
anyone know how much value a $30k pool adds to the house like 10 years later when you try to sell?
$0.....1/2 of my clients ask me how much it would cost to fill it in!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Don't forget to figure in for landscaping (fence, privacy hedges) as well as cost of maintenance and how much your taxes will increase once the pool is in.
Add another $30 grand to do all the surrounding work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island