U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,544 posts, read 15,276,102 times
Reputation: 6234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
There's 2 things in this country that I can't stand: Republicans and Democrats.
To me they are one and the same because they basically govern our "corpocracy" the same way: not for the benefit of the people ("democracy"), but for the benefit of the corporations.

Their new combined name is Republicrats!

Wouldn't it be great if they all had to wear NASCAR driver like jumpsuits with patches all over them of all the corporations that gave them money? Then we could see at a glance who they are really working for ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
 
7,235 posts, read 7,125,633 times
Reputation: 2807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post

Only about 1/6 of the property taxes is from the county. That is the only portion the County Executive whether its Suozzi, Mangano or anyone else has control over. So Mangano's plea to reduce taxes really was totally unrealistic, and basically made up. He only has influence over 1/6 of the property taxes, 2/3 of which go to the cops, and they helped bankroll his campaign so we know he isn't touching that.

Good job Nassau, reactionary voting at it's best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,544 posts, read 15,276,102 times
Reputation: 6234
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
He shoots and scores... The people spoke. If more people went to the booths and took action taxes would go down eventually. You have to excersize your right to vote. If you sat on the couch your opinion is worthless. You know who you are.



Thats what Good ol King George would have you believe (circa 1776)
We have really been quite pathetic as voters here on LI. We keep re-electing the same old clowns over and over and over again, even though they don't do a darn thing except use their offices to enrich themselves and give themselves power. Look at Kate Murray. Why in the world is she always re-elected? Because she wastes so much money sending junk mail out or never met a photo op she didn't like? I got a calendar from the Town of Hempstead in the mail. Wouldn't you know on every single month there was a picture of Kate somewhere!

Of course the politicians will continue to take shameless advantage of us if we are stupid enough to keep reelecting them! I am not saying the new person in office will automatically be great or better than the old one, but if the voters just keep voting them out of office, eventually even the most thickheaded of politicians will get the idea that to stay in office they actually have to do something positive for the public, and maybe we will find one actually worth keeping in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM
 
3,107 posts, read 3,393,475 times
Reputation: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
First off the only people who this new assessment thing is going to help out are those who turn their properties into McMansions and can pay the taxes at their old value for several more years.

Secondly, as I love LI But pointed out Suozzi lost because he got blamed for the property taxes, 2/3 of which is School Taxes which neither Suozzi, Mangano or anyone else at the county level have any control over. Mangano was able to take advantage of that and he vowed to reduce property taxes even though he can do very little.

Only about 1/6 of the property taxes is from the county. That is the only portion the County Executive whether its Suozzi, Mangano or anyone else has control over. So Mangano's plea to reduce taxes really was totally unrealistic, and basically made up. He only has influence over 1/6 of the property taxes, 2/3 of which go to the cops, and they helped bankroll his campaign so we know he isn't touching that.
apparently he also lost because he didn't think he could lose. Supposedly a large portion of his campaign fund ended up not being spent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,544 posts, read 15,276,102 times
Reputation: 6234
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
apparently he also lost because he didn't think he could lose. Supposedly a large portion of his campaign fund ended up not being spent...
He was too smug and complacent, that is true. But maybe more spending would have sunk him faster judging by what he was producing for the media!

I remember one Suozzi commercial that kept running all the time on TV where he talks about the "good" things he's done and then at the very end he offers up a trite little apologetic P.S. It was something like, "I know your property taxes are too high ..."

He offers no possibility of a "solution" or plan for the problem whatsover if he gets reelected except saying something like, "we're working on it" or "we hope to work on it," and I don't know about any of you, but that commercial made me NOT want to vote for him precisely because of his lame little apology about property taxes! Nor did the genius put forth in the commercial the fact that he does not control most of the property tax money collected and let the public know who does. Perhaps the teachers' unions gave him money too and he didn't want to out them. So he sunk himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
13,670 posts, read 6,941,065 times
Reputation: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Hopefully he is too smart for that and knows that era is long over. However, funny you say that as I was driving down Franklin in GC today and outside the government building right by Old Country Road there were a whole bunch of workers (many in uniform) holding a huge banner for a photo opportunity. The banner said something like, "Thank You Mangano for Creating Jobs for Us!"
He was in the Legislature during that tenure a strong ally of Gullotta and supporter of those contracts. He also got his campaign bankrolled by many of the same groups that supported Gullotta.

In 2006 when the last Police Union contract was up Suozzi fought for and was able to get some concessions from the Union (though not as much as he wanted) and was able to turn back some of the really absurd things that came out of the Gullotta era contracts. Considering his past support for the Gullotta era perks, as well as who his campaign contributers were, I am concerned that we will go back to the 90's style contracts if Mangano gets the opportunity. I'm not sure how long the current contract which started in late 06/early 07 IIRC ends, or when the negotiations for the new contract will take place. However, if it occurs during Mangano's tenure I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the concessions Suozzi was able to get in 06 goes away and instead we go back to the late 90's contracts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2010, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
13,670 posts, read 6,941,065 times
Reputation: 2382
To get back on topic, according to Newsday the assessment system isn't as bad as first reported

Quote:
Across Nassau County, the conventional wisdom goes, the tax assessment system is so unfair that it produces vastly different assessments on similar homes in similar neighborhoods.

Is that so?

A Newsday analysis of the tentative 2012 tax roll finds there is reason to believe that the vast majority of county assessments are fair. The analysis shows variations between similar homes are far less severe than commonly believed, and are well within national standards.

The belief that assessments are not fair is fueled by anger over high property taxes and has led tens of thousands of Nassau County residents - and many more businesses - to challenge their assessments every year. In doing so, they hope to bring down their tax bill, if only by a few dollars, but also to strike a blow at a system they don't like. And more often than not, they succeed, which costs the county some $100 million annually in residential and commercial tax refunds combined.
Top Stories Item

don't need to subscribe to Newsday or its online service to view the link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,544 posts, read 15,276,102 times
Reputation: 6234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
He was in the Legislature during that tenure a strong ally of Gullotta and supporter of those contracts. He also got his campaign bankrolled by many of the same groups that supported Gullotta.

In 2006 when the last Police Union contract was up Suozzi fought for and was able to get some concessions from the Union (though not as much as he wanted) and was able to turn back some of the really absurd things that came out of the Gullotta era contracts. Considering his past support for the Gullotta era perks, as well as who his campaign contributers were, I am concerned that we will go back to the 90's style contracts if Mangano gets the opportunity. I'm not sure how long the current contract which started in late 06/early 07 IIRC ends, or when the negotiations for the new contract will take place. However, if it occurs during Mangano's tenure I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the concessions Suozzi was able to get in 06 goes away and instead we go back to the late 90's contracts.
Smash, if he does that, then I hope the voters of Nassau will have the brains to vote him OUT at the next election. I know I will vote against him.

It's disgusting that all the political parties on LI seem to have to offer is washed up old hacks like him anyway. I am hoping he will see the light and change his old ways, but I am realistic and know there's a chance he won't. It is still better than keeping Suozzi. Now Suozzi is working for the Dolans, so hopefully he will stay there where he belongs ... out of public "service."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,544 posts, read 15,276,102 times
Reputation: 6234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
To get back on topic, according to Newsday the assessment system isn't as bad as first reported



Top Stories Item

don't need to subscribe to Newsday or its online service to view the link
So it's a token attempt to make the system look a little better to the property taxpayers and is not geared towards actually attacking the problem and lowering taxes for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
13,670 posts, read 6,941,065 times
Reputation: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Smash, if he does that, then I hope the voters of Nassau will have the brains to vote him OUT at the next election. I know I will vote against him.

It's disgusting that all the political parties on LI seem to have to offer is washed up old hacks like him anyway. I am hoping he will see the light and change his old ways, but I am realistic and know there's a chance he won't. It is still better than keeping Suozzi. Now Suozzi is working for the Dolans, so hopefully he will stay there where he belongs ... out of public "service."
Going with someone whose record in the Legislature showed he was beholden to the Gullotta and Schmitt way of doing things, supporting the absurd contracts, etc is not better than Suozzi... Though that is a different argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:44 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top