Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,678,233 times

Advertisements

Go north or east a bit for a much nicer area.This you will quickly see when you ride around the area.MO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:10 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,636,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new york tex View Post

I am looking for new / newer construction and these were some of the few builders I have seen around. I have lived in Miami for 10 years since starting college so I am accustomed to some level of risk / being aware of my surroundings.
Keep in mind new construction comes with a hefty real estate tax bill. Our taxes are already sky high on our older homes.

You'd probably really enjoy living in or around Huntington Village. I'd recommend renting for a few months until you get your bearings and are able to figure out precisely where you want to live and how much your budget can take. One place near Huntington Harbor and Gold Star Beach is an area called Harbor Heights with small winterized summer cottages - there are probably a few up for rent there. And it's walking distance to the beach.

Or at the very least, spend a week here and drive around all the areas.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 PM

185 posts, read 456,710 times
I live a few blocks west (Maplewood Rd area) and the area you are referring to has some really large and really nice houses. I would not object to living there. The area between Maplewood and Rotterdam is a section of really run down houses and a sketchy neighborhood. Although it's sketchy and I, personally, would not live down those roads, I don't necessarily feel unsafe living near there area. If I haven't driven through the sketchy area I would never have known it was so.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,502,701 times
To the OP...good luck with your move. I have been in Miami for a few weeks and despite the gorgeous weather I can't wait to get back home to LI. Hopefully you will like it there!

I'd also recommend renting for a year if you can.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,678,233 times
The township of Huntington might get a big tax increase if the Power Co.wins it's law suite

Old 02-18-2011, 02:25 PM

570 posts, read 1,212,398 times
That would be the Northport/East Northport school district getting a big tax increase! They've been the beneficiaries of the large tax paid by LILCO/LIPA all these years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island