U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 11:38 PM

6 posts, read 17,788 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move to Babylon Village. We are looking at house that is south of Park Ave not too far from the Fairfield Apartments. Some don't seem to like this area. We also pondered a cheaper fixer upper north of park but were told to steer clear. I am wondering what people's impressions of these areas are specifically the area south of Park.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Default ALso what do people think of the area off of Siegel Blvd?

I think its the president's section or neighborhood. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:21 PM

450 posts, read 656,367 times
I do a lot of work in the area your speaking of. Your best bet is Take a drive around the local streets during the day and at NIGHT. Oh stop by the local high school when there getting out to see what lives in the area.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 10,276 times
There are no bad areas of Babylon Village that anyone should advise you to star clear of. The area north of Park, between Siegel Blvd and Deer Park Ave is the Presidential section which is considered one of the premium areas of the Village. The area south of Park by the Fairfield apartments is a little more down market, but it's still a fine neighborhood. I lived in those apartments up until very recently and I was very happy there.

Check out this blog for more information about Babylon Village

Home In Babylon My house is where I want to be and it looks like all my dreams

Old 04-16-2010, 06:04 PM

6,639 posts, read 11,076,787 times
<3 whalers cove. 'nuff said.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:38 PM

Default Could you actually...........

say a bit more??????

Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,276 times
Whalers Cove is condo complex in Babylon Village. Mostly two bedroom, town home-style units. It's a bit run down, but you can find a good deal if you're looking for that sort of thing.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 PM

322 posts, read 708,264 times
@DGold1009 I currently rent in that area of Babylon Village, I can honestly say that there is nothing wrong with that area. You are close to the elementary school, train station, and small parks. I may be biased, but Babylon Village is one of the best places to live on the island. Your only concern should be the taxes on the property, which most times is astronomical!If you want something a little more afordable, look at Babylon Village homes that are outside of the school district. They are nice areas and you don't pay village taxes. How do you know which is which? If the street sign is a white wooden post with the street name engraved upon it, then it is Babylon Village in the Babylon Village school district. Anything else is Babylon Village in North or West Babylon SD.The only area of Babylon Village I have heard mixed reviews about is the North West section (considered West Babylon) bordered by Little East Neck Rd. and Old Farmingdale Rd, but I have never seen anything worth worrying about, although at night I have heard the sounds of drag racing in the area.I agree with Nevar242, drive around the area day and night to see what makes you feel more comfortable.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:28 PM

8,717 posts, read 16,892,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
@DGold1009 I currently rent in that area of Babylon Village, I can honestly say that there is nothing wrong with that area. You are close to the elementary school, train station, and small parks. I may be biased, but Babylon Village is one of the best places to live on the island. Your only concern should be the taxes on the property, which most times is astronomical!If you want something a little more afordable, look at Babylon Village homes that are outside of the school district. They are nice areas and you don't pay village taxes. How do you know which is which? If the street sign is a white wooden post with the street name engraved upon it, then it is Babylon Village in the Babylon Village school district. Anything else is Babylon Village in North or West Babylon SD.The only area of Babylon Village I have heard mixed reviews about is the North West section (considered West Babylon) bordered by Little East Neck Rd. and Old Farmingdale Rd, but I have never seen anything worth worrying about, although at night I have heard the sounds of drag racing in the area.I agree with Nevar242, drive around the area day and night to see what makes you feel more comfortable.
Babylon Village is a great place to live! I lived there for 15 years and still have fond memories; it's only gotten better since then
In fact, I recommend it to many if they can't afford the North Shore or want waterfront property at "affordable" prices while having the fun and convenience of a Village.

However, I do not agree with your above statement regarding white wooden posts and Village taxes. I lived on a street with a white wooden post AND paid Village taxes BUT it was W. Babylon schools. WB schools have improved since then, but if you're looking for Babylon schools only, the above is NOT a true indication...

Old 05-14-2010, 06:24 PM

9,341 posts, read 23,159,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
If you want something a little more afordable, look at Babylon Village homes that are outside of the school district. They are nice areas and you don't pay village taxes.

By NYS definition, any place that has a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address but does not pay Village of Babylon property tax is not in the Village of Babylon.

A map of the Village of Babylon in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County:

The Village of Babylon has a different border than does the "Babylon, NY 11702" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address and not be in the Village of Babylon and a place can have other than a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address and be in the Village of Babylon): places that have a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address that are not in the Village of Babylon are in the Hamlet of North Babylon and in the Hamlet of West Babylon; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Babylon with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island