Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,595,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
why exactly? do you think he's going to say something different this time? lol...
OK, OK. I am sorting through my LP's looking for The Man of La Mancha soundtrack.

"The Impossible Dream" is up next on the playlist.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:58 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Illegal immigrants.

In Syosset there are vans full of them outside the schools lined up to distribute drugs and other things.
Yeah, that's what they have in Carle Place, right outside the schools or around the corner from them.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 PM

721 posts, read 1,560,766 times
I worked in RP in the early 90's. It was not bad then and it is fine now. I used to walk to work and never had a problem. There was a bit of a biker crowd there back in the day but really. It is fine. I shop there with my kids (Tilda's!) and go running and I never think twice about my safety. I would have no qualms about buying a house there.

The one time I have had a real experience with crime on LI was in the early 90's in the parking lot of the LIRR in Ronk. I was attacked by a man on my way home from a concert. A good samaritan came to my aid. It turned out better than it could have. Doesn't mean I am scared to ride the train. Some things are just random.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,480,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Yeah, that's what they have in Carle Place, right outside the schools or around the corner from them.
According to my contacts at the NCPD, their new thing is that the Juarez Cartel has purchased Mr. Softee ice cream trucks for their street level dealers to canvass neighborhoods in. If you ask for a Macho Man Randy Savage WWF All-Stars wrestling bar that means "8 ball of cocaine", a 20 bag of weed is a Ghost Buster's Slimer Pop. You can buy actual soft serve ice cream from them too. This has only been reported in Great Neck and Floral Park so far, but I'm sure they will start heading east sooner or later.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 PM

4,694 posts, read 8,721,070 times
Quote:
According to my contacts at the NCPD, their new thing is that the Juarez Cartel has purchased Mr. Softee ice cream trucks for their street level dealers to canvass neighborhoods in. If you ask for a Macho Man Randy Savage WWF All-Stars wrestling bar that means "8 ball of cocaine", a 20 bag of weed is a Ghost Buster's Slimer Pop. You can buy actual soft serve ice cream from them too. This has only been reported in Great Neck and Floral Park so far, but I'm sure they will start heading east sooner or later.
what about chili fritos?

Old 04-15-2010, 01:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,208,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Elmont, Valley Stream, Glen Cove, Baldwin, Hempstead, Freeport, Roosevelt, Uniondale...just to name a few.
I disagree with Valley Stream.

As for the rest ... most of them have historically been considered troubled areas so that's nothing new.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The gentrification of those areas has made them unaffordable and thus driving the crime, gangs, and drugs out this way.
And LI is typically affordable to criminals, gangbangers and drug dealers when there are so many working people complaining they can't afford to buy their first home here?

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 04-15-2010 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triboro bridge View Post
I sure did.

Cars parked on people's side lawn up on cynder blocks - check

Garbage in the street - check

Gutters hanging off houses - check

Unregistered/Uninspected cars parked on the street - check

People selling drugs out of their house - check

I'm sorry to be speaking the truth, but Rocky Point is a disaster. It's white trash central on LI.
The truth of the matter is ...

LI'ers don't even really know what true WHITE TRASH is!

Honest. Go out to other parts of the country and see all the trailer parks, meth and hillbilly heroin addicts ... most of whom are on SSI or trying to get on it. REALLY. There is a plethora of white trash all over the country except on LI, including RP. The legendary Shirley and Mastic are tame compared to what's out there in middle America. I think what saves us from them is that we don't have a lot of trailer parks and a lot of land to put trailers on. Watch any of the jail shows on TV and you will see plenty of white dirtbags locked up in them. Then look at the jails around here and the prisons in NY and count the whites in them. LI'ers don't know what white trash truly is.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I'm just going by what I heard from a friend who is a sergeant in the NCPD. He says there is a big MS-13 presence in Plainview these days.
Yeah the jewish folk from El Salvador are quite something else!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I wouldn't sweat it.

I rented *gasp* in Rocky Point from 91-96 in what some people might consider the rough area. The area I lived in (Locust off Broadway) has improved since those days. My old house, the house next door, the house across the street, the house next door to it, the house around the corner have ALL undergone serious improvements since 96. During my time in the area, I saw bungalows being converted into bigger homes, derelict properties being rehabbed.

I thought nothing of walking and pushing a stroller from Locust by Magnolia across town to McCarricks and the PO Boxes. I used to walk to the laundromat on Broadway, too.

Back then there was some sketchy housing in the pockets between 25A and Prince, but that never stopped me from walking along Prince between Broadway and Harding (McCarricks.) There were some sketchy houses along King between Bway and Harding, too, and again, I had no reservations walking along the street.

What people have described on this thread (cars on blocks, unregistered, blah blah blah) I have seen in many areas on LI. Some people on this forum are trying to get Crooks' goat. Other people are talking without having actually lived in the area. My experience may be older, but I can drive back through my old neighborhood today and see the changes (all positive) which have occurred since my RP days.
Poor crooks didn't know what he was starting ... he didn't know how mean most of you are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island