Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,333 times

Advertisements

Why focus on the negative?
Which areas of Long Island that are getting better?

New Cassel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,412 times
Rocky Point....I'll save Crooks some time here.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:20 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Rocky Point....I'll save Crooks some time here.

Thanks you for the sanity GPSMA.

Ill also add Bay Shore, West Babylon,Lindenhurst,Sound Beach,Kings Park,Ridge,Holbrook,Bohemia,Patchogue Village and yes believe it or not Gordon Heights(no lie...go see).

I think few would argue (except of course LIC aka Mastic Spice) that the big comeback stories in Brookhaven are without question Rocky Point and Sound Beach.

These areas were left for dead in the 80s and have really turned into nice affordable, safe places to live that are rich in natural beauty and have both good schools and decent taxes.

A working guy can be Middle Class with dignity here and a reasonably wealthy man can live like a king on the Sound.

We love it here.

JMHO

Crooks

Old 04-14-2010, 09:54 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,298 times
Patchogue village has made a HUGE come back, they just need to fix the schools

Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Patchogue village has made a HUGE come back, they just need to fix the schools
Agreed.

Sadly its been at the expense of Medford and E Patchogue.

If they got Village schools in there it would be a home run.

Crooks

Old 04-15-2010, 06:42 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,342,729 times
Patchogue Village took millions in federal and state money and fixed up main street. You STILL have 27 people living in old school victorians right on the bay. Hasn't changed a bit.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Ill also add Bay Shore, West Babylon,Lindenhurst,Sound Beach,Kings Park,Ridge,Holbrook,Bohemia,Patchogue Village and yes believe it or not Gordon Heights(no lie...go see).
I'm glad you mentioned Holbrook as being on the upswing.

Patchogue Village--do you mean Main Street? Lots of construction going on there. But there are some nifty restaurants--just had lunch there last week. Friend of a friend of mine owns a [URL="http://www.onceandforallcafe.com/"]fun little cafe[/URL] down there, too. When my friend told me about it, I thought, "In Patchogue? No way. It's too fon-fon artsy. It will never work." And yet, they seem to be doing well. I can vouch for the food. Haven't been to the Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts yet, but it looks nice.

Bay Shore sure has been on a rollercoaster over the last 30 years. It had a nice Main Street until they built the South Shore Mall. Then a lot of businesses on Main Street and the surrounding areas suffered (my father's included, taking my college fund with it). Then there was the deinstitutionalization of quite a few Pilgrim State residents. Turning the theater across from the parochial school into a XXX venue didn't help. I remember the nuns being upset about it. It was a tough, tough time, and it just got worse after I left in 1984.

Although Bay Shore still isn't what it used to be when I was a kid (Fifth Avenue heading toward Brentwood is downright dilapidated), I'm really surprised and thrilled to see the return of Main Street. The Y is on the site where the XXX theater was, and there are some nice restaurants on Main Street, along with the Boulton Center (which is on the former site of another XXX theater).

I wish my parents could have lived to see the renewal.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:16 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times
Bay Shore and Patchogue improved significantly in the 2000s, I think those are probably the two biggest recent "success stories" on LI. I remember going to The Swingset in Bay Shore (now The Nutty Irishman) when I was in high school and that whole area was really grimy and desolate looking. It's really transformed completely since then, and the same goes for Patchogue.

I know both areas still do have their problems (hell, just a couple weeks ago a kid got shot in the back 5 times outside Bay Shore HS!!), but cleaning up Main Street and giving people a reason to go there is a fantastic start. That's the heart of both towns and a very visible indicator of the way things are going. People are coming back and spending money, no way that can be considered a bad thing. Patchogue's downtown revitalization has received tons of favorable press, even in the NY Times.

To a lesser degree, Westbury has done a pretty nice job with Post Avenue. This was another area that was just totally useless, worn out and ugly ten years ago. With the new apartments, village square and storefront remodeling it's looking a hell of a lot better. They could still use more entertainment-oriented stuff to get people outside the village coming through, but the restoration of the old movie theater should help a lot. That building has been an eyesore for a long time.

Bellmore has also improved their small downtown very nicely too, although those efforts really started back in the mid-90s. It was the right move bringing the car show in the LIRR parking lot back, that provides a huge amount of foot traffic.....noise be damned! Sad to say I've actually noticed a few stores have gone out of business over the last year or so, but hopefully that's just an anomaly and not a sign of the times.

I never knew Rocky Point when it was a dump, but I've been there in the last few years and it seems really nice....in fact I can't even imagine it ever being "bad" so they must have done something right.

In the future I can see areas that have a usable downtown or places that are along the shores making a comeback (people will always be interested in waterfront real estate), but purely suburban areas that have gotten effed up or were just never any good to begin with will have a much tougher time. For instance, I can see Hempstead or Freeport someday long into the future becoming destinations once again because they've got the right infrastructure for it.....but Roosevelt? Wyandanch? Even if things did improve a little bit, how would anyone ever notice it? There is absolutely no reason to ever go to places like that for 90% of people on LI. The only hope in those cases is fixing the schools, and that's a hell of a lot tougher than putting up some fancy awnings or getting a Starbucks.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:24 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Bay Shore and Patchogue improved significantly in the 2000s, I think those are probably the two biggest recent "success stories" on LI. I remember going to The Swingset in Bay Shore (now The Nutty Irishman) when I was in high school and that whole area was really grimy and desolate looking. It's really transformed completely since then, and the same goes for Patchogue.
Main St. has gotten nicer...but what about the areas immediately to the North? I haven't been by there in a while, but it might be more accurate to say Bay Shore's downtown area has improved....and not "Bay Shore".

Old 04-15-2010, 12:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times
I know some people who stopped sending their kids to St. Johns the Babtist and put them into the Bay Shore district. They have nothing but good things to say. I think the Bay Shore schools have improved greatly.

Sean X4..I think that shooting happened in Brentwood? But the kid was from Bay Shore. I could be wrong though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island