U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:10 PM

2,349 posts, read 3,463,887 times
Default How many days till I see something ?

I just finished seeding and put fertilizer on my lawn, in time before the rain started. It seems like its going to rain a bit till tomorrow (good for me right ?).

I plan to keep the ground moist after that. What kind of time frame am I looking at here on Long Island for the grass to start growing ? I put the Scotts mixed sun 'n shade seed (that needs less water seemingly).
I keep reading on the internet and it varies between a couple of weeks to 4 weeks. I have a feeling that it depends if you live up North or South so I'm just looking for a ballpark figure for our area.

Thanks for reading !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 08:16 PM

2,922 posts, read 2,926,943 times
Within a week, you should start to see the tip of green on the soil. Keep it moist. In about two weeks, it will definitely be more noticeable, by four weeks it will be completely covered.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:21 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,109,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I just finished seeding and put fertilizer on my lawn, in time before the rain started. It seems like its going to rain a bit till tomorrow (good for me right ?).

I plan to keep the ground moist after that. What kind of time frame am I looking at here on Long Island for the grass to start growing ? I put the Scotts mixed sun 'n shade seed (that needs less water seemingly).
I keep reading on the internet and it varies between a couple of weeks to 4 weeks. I have a feeling that it depends if you live up North or South so I'm just looking for a ballpark figure for our area.

Thanks for reading !!

Good luck. I just fertilized yesterday and had my sprinkler system brought back online this week although I probably won't have it running until may.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Within a week, you should start to see the tip of green on the soil. Keep it moist. In about two weeks, it will definitely be more noticeable, by four weeks it will be completely covered.
Really ? Thats awesome news. I was out there with the spreader like a mad man walking the lawn at twilight, hopefully something good will come of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Good luck. I just fertilized yesterday and had my sprinkler system brought back online this week although I probably won't have it running until may.
Thanks buddy, is the grass holding up good ? I see a lot of dead spots in my yard, but I think that might be because the previous owner just gave up on taking care of the yard.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:48 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,342,853 times
It might be too late to start this season, seeing as you put down the new seed and it has to take root and grow, but I've used this Scotts 4 Step Program on my mostly shady lawn and it has worked well. I spread Step 1 last week, threw down new seed last night in preparation for the rain.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It might be too late to start this season, seeing as you put down the new seed and it has to take root and grow, but I've used this Scotts 4 Step Program on my mostly shady lawn and it has worked well. I spread Step 1 last week, threw down new seed last night in preparation for the rain.
Yeah I used the Scotts Step 1 alternate.... the crabgrass preventer with new seed fertilizer.... fingers crossed. I put down 27 lbs of seeds on a 3500 sqft lawn. I'm just hoping I get lucky. If it does not grow, I am doing professional overseeding come this fall.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,342,853 times
Quote:
Yeah I used the Scotts Step 1 alternate.... the crabgrass preventer with new seed fertilizer.... fingers crossed. I put down 27 lbs of seeds on a 3500 sqft lawn. I'm just hoping I get lucky. If it does not grow, I am doing professional overseeding come this fall.
As others have written, keep things moist this week and you will see grass emerge. It really grows in quickly once it starts. Keep it watered and make sure you do give it appropriate feedings.

If you find the patches you mentioned earlier are still a problem, it could be too much shade or perhaps grubs.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 PM

294 posts, read 322,104 times
Quote:
What kind of time frame am I looking at here on Long Island for the grass to start growing ? I put the Scotts mixed sun 'n shade seed (that needs less water seemingly). I keep reading on the internet and it varies between a couple of weeks to 4 weeks. I have a feeling that it depends if you live up North or South so I'm just looking for a ballpark figure for our area.
Ryegrass, Fescue and Bluegrass are the likeliest types in the blend. Rye typically germinates in 5-7 days, Fescue in 10-14 and Bluegrass in 14-21 or more.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
As others have written, keep things moist this week and you will see grass emerge. It really grows in quickly once it starts. Keep it watered and make sure you do give it appropriate feedings.

If you find the patches you mentioned earlier are still a problem, it could be too much shade or perhaps grubs.
feedings other than water ? Can you please elaborate ?

I'm afraid I think there are grubs as I see holes in the ground near the edges of the property, I have a feeling they are moles.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTAC View Post
Ryegrass, Fescue and Bluegrass are the likeliest types in the blend. Rye typically germinates in 5-7 days, Fescue in 10-14 and Bluegrass in 14-21 or more.
Ok, this is important info, thanks, I would have been happy by the 2nd week, but now I have to keep the soil moist for a month. Appreciate the tip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island