Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,343 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an appraiser on LI (preferably in Suffolk) that has done appraisals for FHA financed homes. If anyone has any recommendations, please post here.

Also, if anyone has information on what requirements (state certified, etc) must be met for an appraiser work with FHA financed homes that would also be helpful.

We are hoping to make an offer and have an inspection done on a home in Suffolk but we believe the asking price may be too high. The seller appears to be flexible.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 03:42 PM

9,916 posts, read 23,022,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbound View Post
I am looking for an appraiser on LI (preferably in Suffolk) that has done appraisals for FHA financed homes. If anyone has any recommendations, please post here.

Also, if anyone has information on what requirements (state certified, etc) must be met for an appraiser work with FHA financed homes that would also be helpful.

We are hoping to make an offer and have an inspection done on a home in Suffolk but we believe the asking price may be too high. The seller appears to be flexible.

Thanks in advance.
Are you willing to pay twice for an appraisal? You can have an appraisal done on your own of course (and pay for it), but the lender will require an independent appraisal regardless (and the buyer - you - pays for that...)

If you do, I can probably give you the name of one... (just have to find his card LOL)

Old 04-25-2010, 07:12 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,494,624 times
I know a great guy...

Elke is spot on in her post

Shoot me a DM

Old 04-25-2010, 09:23 AM

341 posts, read 1,530,360 times
I can completely understand the desire to do this... I thought about it to. But, I don't know if it's a good idea if you really think it through to the end.

It's important to understand that each appraisal is just an opinion, and the only one that the bank cares about is the one they order themselves (as Elke mentioned). So, that's the only "reality." The bank won't care if your other appraiser valued the house higher or lower.

So, let's say you're looking at a house that is listed at 500K. You pay for your own appraisal and it comes in at 575, so you bring that to the sellers, they agree to come down and you agree to 575k. Now, the bank's appraisal comes in at 565K. Your seller might simply say, that's B.S., you come up with the difference, we've already had a pro tell us the house is worth 575k. They're more likely to dig in.

It might be better to take a really good look at your comps and make the offer you're comfortable with. Have a conversation (or have your broker do it) with the sellers and say "Look, we like the house but worry it's overvalued. I'm willing to pay (blank). Also issue the caveat that, even with that, your concern is that it might appraise too low. THat way, if the REAL bank appraisal that counts comes in low, you can still negotiate a bit. If they already have another professional appraisal that's higher, you're only giving them a reason to really dig in their heals.

I did it the way I mentioned and it worked out that the bank appraisal came in 15K higher than my accepted bid. This guy picked good comps. I do think it could have worked out the other way just as easy.

If you like, I have a great FHA mortgage broker who made all of this VERY easy.

good luck!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,343 times
Yes, if you know a good FHA mortgage broker that would be very helpful. We are about to embark on this painful process...having someone knowledgeable in this area would help us a great deal.

Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:01 PM

341 posts, read 1,530,360 times
tried to send you a PM but your account doesn't set them.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 PM

75 posts, read 291,712 times
The house I bought appraised low about $17,000 below the agreed sale price. I appealed the appraisal and upon re-appraisal, they came up around $10,000. I split the difference with the seller, putting a $3500 more down and they dropped their price by 3500. In the end, it worked out better for me. You can appeal, and they do make some adjustments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island