U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 AM

9,343 posts, read 16,944,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
on the lefthand side it says where i live, brookhaven hamlet, i think, who the heck knows because there are no visible borders between towns.

A map of the Hamlet of Brookhaven in the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Brookhaven has a different border than does the "Brookhaven, NY 11719" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Brookhaven, NY 11719" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Brookhaven and a place can have other than a "Brookhaven, NY 11719" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Brookhaven): places that have a "Brookhaven, NY 11719" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Brookhaven are in the Hamlet of North Bellport and in the Hamlet of Shirley; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Brookhaven that have a "Yaphank, NY 11980" mailing address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 AM

15,856 posts, read 17,105,076 times
Quote:
we moved from md to suffolk county. let me tell you, think hard and long about whether you want to move here. for some reason, long islanders, esp. suffolk folks think of LI as a suburb to NYC. it's not, it's a few bridges away (that most of the time are jammed pack, but before you get to the bridges, you deal with awful traffic, crazy drivers (you've heard about NY drivers. not a legend, it's true).
It is a suburb of NYC. Many places in Suffolk are a far commute, but I would say most of it is still in the suburb category rather than "exurb." The OP isn't going to work in NYC anyway, so Suffolk would not be a problem that way.

It's either a single bridge or a tunnel away. Manhattan is an island too so you can't drive there without using a bridge or tunnel, but it's one, not multiple.

Quote:
you cannot compare DC to NYC, you can't even put those two on the same page.
I agree. NYC is a world class city. DC is not.

Quote:
you really cannot compare bethesda to anything in LI. wish we could, but we can't.
That's true. Since I live in one and have visited the other, I agree.

Quote:
if you do ask here which school districts are the best and why, and once you get a district recommendation know that it will still be substandard to where you are coming from.
I don't think that's fair. Especially since we do not know where the OP is coming from.

Quote:
LI is overrated, has nothing to offer, beaches are to write stories about (not good ones).
if you are bringing family (sorry didn't rest all the pages), and have kids, and have a wife, then make sure you guys come and spend days here. you cannot get to know LI in a day trip or via message boards. taxes are huge, roads are broken (feel free to replace your car and get a junk thing to drive around with), because you'll ruin it within a year. grocery stores are filled with expired items (diary, meats you name it, it's like an epidemic of 'i just don't care' attitude).
i could go on and on but if i had gotten to know LI like I do now, i and kids would have probably never moved here.
I only agree with one thing here and that is in bold.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
You know I adore you.

But the city reeks, especially in the summer. In D.C. the shop owners hose down the sidewalks in front of their shops in the morning. I understand that NY is too busy and water-conscious for that, but after being in D.C. for all that time, the first thing I noticed about NY is the stench. D.C. is an exceptionally clean city, NY is an exceptionally dirty one (most cities I've been to are somewhere in between), so the contrast was really noticeable for me. I always feel gross after a day in NY, between the air there and the dirt on the LIRR.
How much time do you actually spend in Manhattan?

I guess you've never pulled an all-nighter in NYC, but in the early AMs the shopkeepers here hose down the sidewalks too.

I spend most of my time in Manhattan in a very nice and clean area that is a magnet for wealthy shoppers and tourists, so it is very well kept. Perhaps you have only been around the Penn Station area, which, admittedly, can be dirty and smelly. I hate to tell you, but this area has actually gotten better over the years. It has cleaned up from when it used to be nicknamed "Calcutta West" because of all the homeless people setting up camp wherever they pleased. Back then you would have to dodge puddles of pee everywhere, even inside Penn Station!

The most horrible air quality I've ever experienced in Manhattan was downtown after 9/11. It was awful even a week after 9/11.

NYC is not exceptionally dirty to me. When you travel internationally, especially to 3rd world countries, you will definitely notice a difference in the pollution and air quality because of the lax environmental standards and no regulations when it comes to manufacturing. For example, visit Mumbai, India and you will be struck by the stench of burning rubber in the air from factories and you will choke on the actual particles of pollution on bad air quality days.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:16 PM

839 posts, read 799,397 times
Quote:
we moved from md to suffolk county. let me tell you, think hard and long about whether you want to move here. for some reason, long islanders, esp. suffolk folks think of LI as a suburb to NYC. it's not, it's a few bridges away (that most of the time are jammed pack, but before you get to the bridges, you deal with awful traffic, crazy drivers (you've heard about NY drivers. not a legend, it's true). you cannot compare DC to NYC, you can't even put those two on the same page.
if you really have to move to LI, then look into nassau county. it resembles civilization to a slight degree. you really cannot compare bethesda to anything in LI. wish we could, but we can't. I can't explain the towns. the LI towns baffle me the most. most of the areas do not have a 'downtown,' good restaurants are a phenomenon. read this message board on LI schools and see the variety of opinions. my opinion as someone who is not from LI is that schools are not great but you pay a pound of flesh and God knows what else in taxes, so you'll probably end up using public schools. if you do ask here which school districts are the best and why, and once you get a district recommendation know that it will still be substandard to where you are coming from. LI is overrated, has nothing to offer, beaches are to write stories about (not good ones).
if you are bringing family (sorry didn't rest all the pages), and have kids, and have a wife, then make sure you guys come and spend days here. you cannot get to know LI in a day trip or via message boards. taxes are huge, roads are broken (feel free to replace your car and get a junk thing to drive around with), because you'll ruin it within a year. grocery stores are filled with expired items (diary, meats you name it, it's like an epidemic of 'i just don't care' attitude).
i could go on and on but if i had gotten to know LI like I do now, i and kids would have probably never moved here.
LI is an expensive place to live. Basic research would uncover that if it was done before one moves there.

It sounds like you have a different idea of what suburbs are than most people. As bmwguydc posted, Bethesda is more like a satellite or edge city than the suburbs. LI is where modern day suburbs were born (Levittown) and are more like the traditional suburbs – meaning sub-urban – not city, not country. Bethesda would seem to compare with the outer boroughs of NYC.

Traffic has little to do with comparisons as the traffic in the DC area is comparable to LI.

Not sure why you’re not able to compare DC to NYC. NYC is about 8 times larger though, in population, and is more of a cultural center than DC – museums, raido, TV, theater (Broadway, off Broadway), fashion, etc…

Not sure why the towns baffle you. The towns on LI are smaller than Bethesda, but the overwhelming majority of them have a “downtown” local shopping district. Just about every stop on the LIRR is a downtown area. Because Bethesda is only one area and is larger than the average LI downtown, maybe you are confusing that with quality of shops, although there are quite a few areas on LI that offer non-mall base high end shopping.

“Restaurants are a phenomenon”? Not if you check Zagats. LI has a much higher than average amount of non-chain highly rated restaurants. Heck, during the 1st season of Gordan Ramsey’s “Kitchen Nightmares” several were shot on LI, rescuing once high quality restaurants, as the challenge was to do so in areas that were saturated with thriving eateries.

LI schools, based on taxes, are expensive, but comparable to other areas of the country.

Plenty to on LI – try Jones Beach in the summer at night.

“roads are broken - (feel free to replace your car and get a junk thing to drive around with), because you'll ruin it within a year. grocery stores are filled with expired items (diary, meats you name it, it's like an epidemic of 'i just don't care' attitude).? Exaggerate much?

Did you do any research before moving to LI?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
It sounds like you have a different idea of what suburbs are than most people. As bmwguydc posted, Bethesda is more like a satellite or edge city than the suburbs. LI is where modern day suburbs were born (Levittown) and are more like the traditional suburbs – meaning sub-urban – not city, not country. Bethesda would seem to compare with the outer boroughs of NYC.
TY for the description of the differences!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 PM

3,131 posts, read 2,534,266 times
Quote:
LI is an expensive place to live. Basic research would uncover that if it was done before one moves there.

Traffic has little to do with comparisons as the traffic in the DC area is comparable to LI.

Not sure why you’re not able to compare DC to NYC. NYC is about 8 times larger though, in population, and is more of a cultural center than DC – museums, raido, TV, theater (Broadway, off Broadway), fashion, etc…

Not sure why the towns baffle you. The towns on LI are smaller than Bethesda, but the overwhelming majority of them have a “downtown” local shopping district. Just about every stop on the LIRR is a downtown area. Because Bethesda is only one area and is larger than the average LI downtown, maybe you are confusing that with quality of shops, although there are quite a few areas on LI that offer non-mall base high end shopping.

“Restaurants are a phenomenon”? Not if you check Zagats. LI has a much higher than average amount of non-chain highly rated restaurants. Heck, during the 1st season of Gordan Ramsey’s “Kitchen Nightmares” several were shot on LI, rescuing once high quality restaurants, as the challenge was to do so in areas that were saturated with thriving eateries.

LI schools, based on taxes, are expensive, but comparable to other areas of the country.

“roads are broken - (feel free to replace your car and get a junk thing to drive around with), because you'll ruin it within a year. grocery stores are filled with expired items (diary, meats you name it, it's like an epidemic of 'i just don't care' attitude).? Exaggerate much?

I agree with most of what you said. But comparing NYC (Manhattan) to L.I.
isn't really fair. You have Brooklyn and Queens in the way. I know they are all part of NYC. But Bethesda is right next to D.C. you don't have to travel 45 minutes to 2 hours to get there. It's hard for a layman like myself to explain.

But I could tell you this, yes Levittown was one of the first mass-produced suburb in America but that was like 60 years ago...and boy does it show. Most of the "newer" suburban areas blow Levittown and most of L.I. away. Walk around downtown Bethesda and any "downtown" L.I. town and your telling me they compare? L.I. is like a time warp back 50-70 years ago, even to where I live, it feels like the stone age.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:09 PM

492 posts, read 756,506 times
Quote:

this made me smile. thanks. actually no response, just thanks. i did the research before moving to LI, and i am still confused about it. that's why i was suggesting to OP to visit for a while before making a decision.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:16 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,787,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How much time do you actually spend in Manhattan?

I guess you've never pulled an all-nighter in NYC, but in the early AMs the shopkeepers here hose down the sidewalks too.

I spend most of my time in Manhattan in a very nice and clean area that is a magnet for wealthy shoppers and tourists, so it is very well kept. Perhaps you have only been around the Penn Station area, which, admittedly, can be dirty and smelly. I hate to tell you, but this area has actually gotten better over the years. It has cleaned up from when it used to be nicknamed "Calcutta West" because of all the homeless people setting up camp wherever they pleased. Back then you would have to dodge puddles of pee everywhere, even inside Penn Station!

The most horrible air quality I've ever experienced in Manhattan was downtown after 9/11. It was awful even a week after 9/11.

NYC is not exceptionally dirty to me. When you travel internationally, especially to 3rd world countries, you will definitely notice a difference in the pollution and air quality because of the lax environmental standards and no regulations when it comes to manufacturing. For example, visit Mumbai, India and you will be struck by the stench of burning rubber in the air from factories and you will choke on the actual particles of pollution on bad air quality days.
I used to work there.

It's all relative. As I said, DC is exceptionally clean. Compared to the cities I've been to around the U.S.--I haven't been overseas in a while--NY is the dirtiest. Sure, there are nice areas, but generally speaking, it's too grimy for my taste. A lot of it is age and population density. There's not much anyone can do about it.

And ye gods, with the gum on the sidewalks!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:03 PM

13,913 posts, read 16,541,430 times
Quote:
obh, in paper that may be true. in reality, it's too far away to be considered a suburb. suburbs are outside cities, i was talking specifically about suffolk. we're not outside the city, we're hours away at the mercy of drivers.
like you said, my opinion based on being in many beaches other than LI. i have ruined my pretty much my brand new car in less than 2 years.
I was not talking about some dinky store, or stores in poorer areas. i am talking about chain stores like stop and shop, for which now i incorporate another 30 min into my grocery shopping getting the employees to come remove the expired items. i shop 1 x week, and there has never been a time i have not gone to get someone to remove something. please respect my experience, as i have no reason to tell it other than telling the truth. on the lefthand side it says where i live, brookhaven hamlet, i think, who the heck knows because there are no visible borders between towns.
The Suffolk County Government's web site perpetuates the fact that Suffolk is a suburb of NYC. Some might find it to be stretching the truth, but giong back 20, 30 years ago traffic and the population weren't as dense as it is now and the trip was faster. If NYC weren't to our west, Suffolk would never have grown the way it has.

The beach link was through National Geographic; I only pulled the national beaches to compare LI beaches with other US beaches seeing as the thread was about possible locales to move to within the US, more specifically east coast.

If you had problems at S&S, and management hasn't addressed it, you should write to the company as well. I understand and share your frustration when valuable time is wasted because someone isn't doing their job.

I apologize, I thought on your location you had Brookhaven which is why I suggested giving the OP a little more info. In all fairness, the OP has no idea that Brookhaven hamlet is situated between two communities which have some areas with issues -- Mastic and Bellport. Granted Bellport is literally divided by the train tracks; poverty to the north, luxury to the south, but sadly it's the issues people tend to hear about. I don't blame you for slamming schools when those two areas are figured into the mix. If I lived there, my children would be in private school, too.

Another reason for suggesting you give more info is because you are someone who has relocated here and it was with respect I suggested it, but with the caveat that the area you've selected is different from Babylon and the Three Villages.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 PM

13,913 posts, read 16,541,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent
Irregardless, bethesda houses are much more expensive for the same houses NEAR stony brook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
Sure the western Nassau is more expensive, but I'm not sure how that is relevant to this post.
Here's the relevance: when you posted that Bethesda houses are more expensive than Stony Brook area, it could be reasoned that by virtue of proximity to a major urban area, i.e. western Nassau or Bethesda, the values of those properties are driven by that convenience. Stony Brook being much further from NYC is more reasonable, even for waterfront property.

Quote:
Yeah, I looked at the Hamlet estates, I looked at houses in Nissequogue, but I've also looked at houses for 500k near stony brook area. I've basically came to the conclusion that we don't really need that much of a house. To tell you the truth, just because we can afford a house more than that doesn't deter us from buying something cheaper. And, I would love to live near teachers, cops, and firemen!
Prior to coming to that conclusion, you were looking at some properties with lots of bells and whistles, something that someone might label materialistic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island