U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of fence would you put up in a yard that backs state land with lots of trees?
Do the White PVC anyway (even though it may not look right) 5 20.00%
Stockade 14 56.00%
Colored PVC fence (tan or adobe, etc.) 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:27 AM

819 posts, read 2,472,133 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to get some of your opinions on what you would do if you were us. My house is on a corner lot which backs town land and next door to me is state land. We currently have a 4 foot chain link fence which surrounds our entire back and front yard. I really don't like the look of the chain link fence and if we were to keep it, it would need work. Also, since the land next to us is vacant, we do get some foot traffic which walks along our property line and I have no privacy in my yard. I guess this is how it would be as well if we lived on a normal corner lot and people walking through streets. We've had estimates come in for 6 foot privacy white PVC fencing for the entire yard and to create a backyard look by enclosing the sides from the house to the property line. I've also gotten some estimates for stockade fencing which suprisingly is not coming out to be too much less than PVC.

My question is, since we are surrounded by lots of tree's, etc. b/c we have vacant land to the side of us and behind us, would you put up a PVC or stockade fence. I know everyone is probably thinking stockade would not be good b/c of all the dampness which I agree with... BUT I feel a white PVC fence would be taking away the charm from looking at nature. My aunt & uncle came over the day and looked around and told me that our property and the whereabouts of our house reminds them of being upstate where a white PVC fence just would not look right. I kind of have to agree with their thinking. I do think a stockade would blend more with all the trees but I also know it requires maintenance which probably would not take place in my household. LOL. Just have to be honest.

My question to you is, which fence would you do in our situation? As I said before, we definitely do want a 6 foot privacy fence for our yard b/c we do have some foot traffic through the woods so doing a new 6 foot chainlink or iron (which is a see through fence) is not an option. I am also thinking of adopting a dog as well so this is another reason why I would want my entire yard fenced in at 6 feet.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,325,034 times
White PVC is becoming as popular on Long Island now as interior paneling became in the 60s and 70s.
I have no problem with the white PVC fencing...I would prefer to see a variety of colors but they don't seem to make them yet..or at least, I haven't seen too much of a variety.
Personally, I prefer the PVC fencing to stockade fencing. Stockade tends to look worn faster and seems to wind up broken and in pieces unless you are fastidious at maintenance.

Go for the PVC.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,538,365 times
I think you can do a colored version of the vinyl fence. I grabbed this from a random fence company...but there are some choices...

http://www.hooverfence.com/vinyl_fen.../allcolors.jpg

Im facing the same dilemma with having a shady moist back yard. I did dig a small trench along the bottom of the stockade fence and tacked on a small plastic strip to keep the critters out. This helps keep down the rot.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 AM

1,917 posts, read 4,493,915 times
I think those white pvc fences look like Tupperware.
I never liked them.
Stockade is cheap and the beautiful part is after 3 years, you can't tell if your stockade fence is 3 yrs old or 30 yrs old.
A cheap stockade fence will last at least 15 years.

If you have a fence in place that allows you to follow the terrain, you really should do the fence yourself and save a bundle of money. It's not difficult at all. If you don't want to dig post holes, rent an auger. Set posts 8' on center, drop 24" in ground (No concrete necessary) and simply screw the fence sections to the posts.
DIY should be 1/3 the cost of paying someone to do it.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 AM

36 posts, read 91,625 times
I have tan pvc fence -- love it -- lots of privacy and no maintenance, tan blends in with the scenery a little easier than the bright white

Old 04-27-2010, 12:19 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
If you're backing a wooded area, go with stockade. It will blend in nicely over time. My stockade is 14 years old and is under a heavy cover of trees. A PVC fence would detract from the natural setting. It sounds like you are in a nice spot with the state land behind you.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:17 PM

15,735 posts, read 23,966,899 times
Make sure 6 feet is legal. Some towns do not allow it on a corner because it impedes sight lines - you don't want to find that out after the fact.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Make sure 6 feet is legal. Some towns do not allow it on a corner because it impedes sight lines - you don't want to find that out after the fact.
Good point!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I know what you are speaking about. I am a corner lot but I am not a "normal" corner lot b/c I do not have a road to the side of my house. It is state land that has never been improved. It's basically abandoned state land. Therefore, no cars travel on a street on my corner. Thanks for the info though.

Also, my house is set back far from the street.. If I put up a 6 foot fence, it would not come anywhere near the front corner area on the front of my house as I plan on tapering it down to 4 feet anyway near the front..

Old 04-27-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
White PVC is becoming as popular on Long Island now as interior paneling became in the 60s and 70s.
I have no problem with the white PVC fencing...I would prefer to see a variety of colors but they don't seem to make them yet..or at least, I haven't seen too much of a variety.
Personally, I prefer the PVC fencing to stockade fencing. Stockade tends to look worn faster and seems to wind up broken and in pieces unless you are fastidious at maintenance.

Go for the PVC.
I hear what you are saying about the PVC fencing, etc. but if the stockade became worn looking, it would totally match in with the colors of the stumps of the tree's, etc. In other words, it would blend in with the area.

I would rather do the pvc though b/c it's easy to maintain. Although, being with all the tree's, it's probably going to turn green b/c of the moss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or