Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:40 AM

19 posts, read 32,995 times

Advertisements

well i appreciate all the advice.. even if u did make it about ur own arguement. The only reason I asked about Elmont was because I had been speaking to a broker about a house to rent there (which is no longer happening). My father-in-law is in Queens, & my daughter's God Father is in Baldwin.. I'd MUCH rather be in Baldwin, we were just out there for interviews on April 7th. It's a beautiful area. I really think I'd feel safe there. The only thing stopping me is I can't find a place to live in our price range! (limit is $1550)
I come from a small town in South Western NY (south of Buffalo). This was a great area when i was growing up, and before that. My family has lived here ever since coming to America from Sweden. But other than things to do outdoors, there's nothing.. Everyone is moving to Buffalo & Pittsburg. I just want to give my daughter every opportunity possible. & I know that I'll be able to do that living near NY. I'm open to any place in Nassau County, (Suffolk is too far).
As far as the whole racist part.. the only ppl that didn't seem to aggree with my boyfriend & I being an interracial couple, were Jamacians (which my boyfriend is!!) Mind you, this was in a Jamaican restaurant, the store nextdoor to it, and my father-in-law's girlfriend's Jamaican Family. I don't really care what anyone thinks, it just makes me be THAT much more nice/obnoxious! Just as long as I'm not being physically threatened, I don't care.
So please.. I'll take any ADVICE I can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 08:58 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimi9507 View Post
well i appreciate all the advice.. even if u did make it about ur own arguement.
Welcome to Long Island.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:57 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
IMO, I also prefer Baldwin over Elmont. Did you look into Valley Stream which borders Elmont? Valley Stream also borders Queens so you could still be close to your Father-In-Law and Valley Stream schools have a better reputation than Elmont schools.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:58 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Did you look into Valley Stream which borders Elmont?

The Hamlet of North Valley Stream, which is between the Hamlet of Elmont and the Village of Valley Stream, borders Elmont.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The Hamlet of North Valley Stream, which is between the Hamlet of Elmont and the Village of Valley Stream, borders Elmont.
Well, no, I wouldn't recommend the Hamlet of North Valley Stream because that feeds into Elmont Schools. I should have been more precise and stated the Village of Valley Stream.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Well, no, I wouldn't recommend the Hamlet of North Valley Stream because that feeds into Elmont Schools.

From the maps I have, it appears that the western section of the Hamlet of North Valley Stream is in the Elmont Union Free School District and Central High School District 2, while the rest of the Hamlet of North Valley Stream, as well as a small part of the Hamlet of Elmont, is in the Valley Stream Union Free School District and Central High School District 1.

Among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:24 PM

581 posts, read 1,243,783 times
You know it kills me to see people talk trash about areas and they have no idea. I have lived in Elmont since 2004 and never experience any crime. I am on the road all hours and nothing. I swear some of you are such cowards and run under your bed if a cricket makes a sound. LOL.

People, stop judging a neighborhood by the major road that runs through the area. Some of you need to move somewhere where crime is the staple of the day. Then and only then some of you will stop making certain comments.

OP, drive through the area to see if you like it.

Plus for me about Elmont:

1. Close to highways

2. Close to queens with better public transportation.

3, Close to the city

4. Its quiet here and the houses are well kept.

5.Everything seems to be within reach.

My only con about here is that I work right there off jamaica ave in queens village. And where I live, I would have to take 3 buses if i dont want to walk. If I walk a little, It would be 2 buses and at a certain time of the day i might be able to take only 1 bus. Its close but yet so far for me.

But its a nice area.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
You know it kills me to see people talk trash about areas and they have no idea. I have lived in Elmont since 2004 and never experience any crime. I am on the road all hours and nothing. I swear some of you are such cowards and run under your bed if a cricket makes a sound. LOL.

People, stop judging a neighborhood by the major road that runs through the area. Some of you need to move somewhere where crime is the staple of the day. Then and only then some of you will stop making certain comments.

OP, drive through the area to see if you like it.

Plus for me about Elmont:

1. Close to highways

2. Close to queens with better public transportation.

3, Close to the city

4. Its quiet here and the houses are well kept.

5.Everything seems to be within reach.

My only con about here is that I work right there off jamaica ave in queens village. And where I live, I would have to take 3 buses if i dont want to walk. If I walk a little, It would be 2 buses and at a certain time of the day i might be able to take only 1 bus. Its close but yet so far for me.

But its a nice area.
Just keep telling yourself that...b/c ya know, Roosevelt's a nice area too!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:59 AM

63 posts, read 238,214 times
In my opinion, I think Elmont is a good community. Of course it has changed over the years and like anywhere you live, you have to be cautious. If you need good statistics, I'd suggest you contact the 5th precinct. Sgt Grimes would be more than happy to assist you.
I'd suggest staying away from hempstead tpke west (starting at the old Argo theatre because (hate to say it, but it's true), that area leaves a lot to be desired. It has deteriorated significantly.

I know a lot of you won't agree with me on this, but I think the schools are just as good if not better than Baldwin. The superintendent lives in Baldwin and he often makes such references. I think the best schools are Alden Terrace, Covert Ave, Stewart Manor, Clara Clarkson and Dutch Broadway. I personally do not like Gotham Avenue...due to the location and they tend to have a lot of "obedience issues with the kids"..trying to be tactful...

As mentioned in previous posts, there is no LIRR service, so your options would be Floral Park, Merillon, Valley Stream or Rosedale which involves $$ for parking. On the other hand, you can park by hempstead tkpe & Elmont Road and take the public transpotation (if you're heading West).

I live accross from Elmont, but I'm there quite often because I'm active in my the lives of my neices and nephews. My nephew attended Alden Terrace and Elmont Memorial High School. He just completed his 1st year at UCONN. The high is know for it's accomplishment in Math and Science.

I think one of reason why there's so much negativity towards Elmont, is because it's become a predominantly minority neigborhood versus years ago. However, these people are hard working middle class (mostly West Indians) with careers and Income equal to those of other neighborhoods. For example, my family members are Nurses, bankers, CPAs. They've been living in Elmont for years and chose to remain. There is still a small concentration of Italians and a few people of German descent (neighbours of my family).

Lately, there has been an esacalation in break ins, robbery and also vandalism, but most of these crimes aren't committed by the residents of the community. You have to bear in mind that due to the close proximity highways, and other main streets that lead into queens...Elmont is easily targeted. Unfortunately, the 5th precint doesn't have enough resources to spend all their time in one neighborhood, but they've steped up their efforts in the community.

Are there much better neighborhoods that Elmont? Definitely, without a doubt and you should take the time to explore that before you make a decision. I'd start by attending board and civic meetings. Talk to people in the neigborhood. Drive around at different times of the day. Stop by the supermarkets. You'll get a much better feel for the different community.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,937 times
I have been residing in Elmont since 2006. To the family that is interested in moving to Elmont, I would suggest looking at house closest to Franklin Square or close to Clara H Carlson Elementary school. I have not experience any crimes and feel very safe. I love the elementary school and the neighbors are wonderful. My neighbors are of different ethnic groups including whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island