U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 05:14 PM

127 posts, read 618,036 times

Advertisements

I have spent a lot of time in upstate NY and recently helped put a beautiful green "tin" roof on an old house upstate. Metal roofs have been the norm there are available in a huge number of nice colors and styles these days. They go on easily and are light enough so one would not need to do a total rip to shed weight. Better yet, if you have some plywood sagging or other imperfections, these can be made-up by adjusting the height of the perlins that are nailed to the rafters to support the roofing sheets.

I guess I'm just wondering why there is such a STARK difference between the two areas as there is, especially since metal roofs are fairly decent looking and competitively priced these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 05:20 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
I wondered that, too. I spend a fair amount of time in VT where there are many standing seam roofs.

My theory is climate.
The standing seam roof sheds the snow and ice far more easily. More snow and ice further north.
Potential for hurricanes on LI -- wind whipping off long sections of metal can't be good.
Salty air -- deteriorating the metal more quickly.

We did have a client out east who ordered a metal roof designed to resemble Spanish adobe tiles. Much lighter in weight, and from the ground looked like the real deal.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:25 PM

127 posts, read 618,036 times
Interesting- what is the deal with the "standing seam" concept? The roofs that I have put on are more corrugated in natures and you overlap the seams and nail/screw through them with a special color-matched fastener with a rubber washer attached. Can be DIY if you don't mind cutting/handling the stuff. Looks decent, but the "standing seam" look is cleaner.

Do you know how that is put up?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 PM

1,917 posts, read 4,492,125 times
LI gets screwed simply because the contractors have it all worked out. There are many, many construction materials/techniques out there that are simply unavailable to us. This is why every freaking house looks just like the next one. If you really look in to it, you find out "It's too expensive".

Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 PM

3,114 posts, read 8,493,407 times
Corrugated metal roofs are too "rural" for suburbs.

I see standing seam roofs on LI but mostly commerial or "accent" for high end homes.

Comes down to cost. People do not want to pay for it. It is more expensive than asphalt. Can be noise in a rain storm.

Metal roofs do not cause ice dams and is why they are used further north.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snad5393 View Post
Interesting- what is the deal with the "standing seam" concept? The roofs that I have put on are more corrugated in natures and you overlap the seams and nail/screw through them with a special color-matched fastener with a rubber washer attached. Can be DIY if you don't mind cutting/handling the stuff. Looks decent, but the "standing seam" look is cleaner.

Do you know how that is put up?
I've had it explained to me, but I would be lying to you if I said I paid close attention. OBH is not a fan of heights and doesn't see herself roofing anytime soon.

Standing seam metal is usually fabricated on site; companies come along with a spool of the metal which is cut and bent at the home.

Here's a Bob Vila site description:
Standing-Seam Metal Roof Basics - Metal Roofing, Roofing

Old 04-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Corrugated metal roofs are too "rural" for suburbs.

I see standing seam roofs on LI but mostly commerial or "accent" for high end homes.

Comes down to cost. People do not want to pay for it. It is more expensive than asphalt. Can be noise in a rain storm.

Metal roofs do not cause ice dams and is why they are used further north.
Here's a company I've seen in NH
Stratton and Sons Roofing, for Standing Seam metal roofing that lasts a lifetime. (http://www.standingseammetalroofs.com/standing_seam_metal_roofs.php - broken link)

Old 04-27-2010, 09:23 PM

7,658 posts, read 16,215,552 times
"Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin Roof.........Rusted"

SNOW

Crooks

Old 05-01-2010, 09:40 PM
sci

88 posts, read 174,715 times
Default metal roofing

I have put a premade standing seam panel roof on the addition on my own house in Hicksville. I will do the existing roof when I can affored it.
I think the biggest hurdle to metal roofing here is the cost. The cost for the metal roof was about 3 to 4 times higher than asphalt shingles, and this was a middle of the road price wise for the metal roofing. It is also easier to instsall asphalt shingles, easier to cut, if you miscut you only loss a few dollars per piece, easier to walk on [ metal is like a ski slope].

Also it is very hard to change contractors way of thinking. " This is what we install and have installed for years". Most people here are very set in their ways and are unwilling to change there ways. I even had trouble with the suppliers not really know what they were selling.

With all the problems to start and all the naysayers I think most people give up and use asphalt shingles.

I can say that the look is great, that the roof should last 50 plus years, and it sheds heat alot faster than asphalt does, keeping the house cooler. Would definatly do it again if I could afford it and recommend it to others [ nobody so far has spend the money for it].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island