Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 61,879 times

Advertisements

I notice that there are alot more shootings on long island, compared to the rest of NY, why doesn't long island just assimilate the laws NYC has regarding firearms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:00 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Because the bad guys don't care about any stinkin' laws. Just like the laws have helped NYC.

What laws specifically are you saying they should assimilate? Handgun licensing...Long Island has it already.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:15 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
I completely agree with the OP. The NYC gun law, once they started enforcing it, has absolutely had an impact on crime.
A similar law in Nassau/Suffolk would be awesome.
The bad guys do care about laws when they get a one year, non-negotiable prison term just for carrying a gun.

Relax Gpsma, nobody is trying to take your guns.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Look at the areas where the shootings on LI are prevalent. Are they perceived as wealthy and well-educated bastions of the elite or are they lower on the socioeconomic scale, were working poor residents struggle to get by as gangs infiltrate the schools and recruit their children?

The shooters in the stories you cite -- are they permit holders with legal, registered guns, or are you willing to wager that they don't have permits and obtained the guns through illegal channels?

Laws are for the law abiding. These dirtbags are going to obtain guns whether the gun laws are lax or draconian.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:08 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I completely agree with the OP. The NYC gun law, once they started enforcing it, has absolutely had an impact on crime.
A similar law in Nassau/Suffolk would be awesome.
The bad guys do care about laws when they get a one year, non-negotiable prison term just for carrying a gun.

Relax Gpsma, nobody is trying to take your guns.
Yes...thank almightly God and Mayor Shorty for making NYC so safe. I'm in there every day and I just rejoice how safe I feel knowing no criminal is carrying a gun because they are afraid of a minimum jail sentence. Yep..that sure put the fear of god in them. They all go to church now and obey all the laws. Thank god again for the greatest nanny any city to could elect.

I doubt the OP was commenting on minimum sentencing guidelines. Quite obvious the OP thought there were no gun laws in Nassau Cty.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 AM

128 posts, read 340,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso1 View Post
I notice that there are alot more shootings on long island, compared to the rest of NY, why doesn't long island just assimilate the laws NYC has regarding firearms?

Yeah because banning guns is the answer. Sigh. Gun laws only keep guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens, not the thugs. And when it comes to obtaining a gun in Nassau, you have to give your first born, cut off your left arm and sign away your life, it's beyond ridiculous.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:51 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."

Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
I'm assuming the OP isn't commenting on "Gun laws", he's commenting on NYC gun laws and how LI could benefit from them.
Figures the only people looking for an argument is the gun nuts.
NYC gun laws are more stringent and allow for jail time JUST BECAUSE the perp has an illegal gun. You get a year in jail just for possession. This law was put in to effect but was not really enforced (There was a bit of an outcry about it). Early on, Bernie Goetz (Probably misspelled his name) was the only person put in jail for possession!
Now, if you are caught with an illegal gun you go to jail. Talk to the cops, they will tell you. They will take crack off of perps but, uhoh-you have a gun, you're going in.
This law, coupled with Guliani hiring 30,000 cops (Not shorty, Gpsma) absolutely had a positive impact on crime in NYC.

If LI had a law that put an illegal gun possessor in jail for one year-mandatory-no DA plea bargin bs-LI would have less gun crime.

Houston is a great example of a state with liberal gun laws, yet has far more gun crime than NY (Even prior to Katrina). I never bought the armed soceity being a polite soceity concept. There is too much evidence to the contrary.
Come to my house in the middle of the night and you will receive multiple shotgun blasts to the chest. Unless you bring cake.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."
Where do the outlaws get the guns? They steal them from lawful gun owners,,,,it's a cycle.

I'm not against guns, a trusty shotgun is a fine addition to any home security system. But like most things people polarize to one extreme or the other unwilling to meet in the middle.

Guns laws should be restrictive and enforced. Concealable weapons should be reserved for those who demonstrate a real need to carry and conceal.

I disagree with those wanting to ban guns and those who jump up and down about the constitutional implications of restrictions. Every law abiding citizen has the right to bear arms, keep an arsenal of rifles and shotgun at home. Build a compound. more power to you.

Fact of the matter is pistols are easy to conceal, easy to transport, and are much more useful for the criminal element than the average citizen.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 AM

128 posts, read 340,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I'm assuming the OP isn't commenting on "Gun laws", he's commenting on NYC gun laws and how LI could benefit from them.
Figures the only people looking for an argument is the gun nuts.
NYC gun laws are more stringent and allow for jail time JUST BECAUSE the perp has an illegal gun. You get a year in jail just for possession. This law was put in to effect but was not really enforced (There was a bit of an outcry about it). Early on, Bernie Goetz (Probably misspelled his name) was the only person put in jail for possession!
Now, if you are caught with an illegal gun you go to jail. Talk to the cops, they will tell you. They will take crack off of perps but, uhoh-you have a gun, you're going in.
This law, coupled with Guliani hiring 30,000 cops (Not shorty, Gpsma) absolutely had a positive impact on crime in NYC.

If LI had a law that put an illegal gun possessor in jail for one year-mandatory-no DA plea bargin bs-LI would have less gun crime.

Houston is a great example of a state with liberal gun laws, yet has far more gun crime than NY (Even prior to Katrina). I never bought the armed soceity being a polite soceity concept. There is too much evidence to the contrary.
Come to my house in the middle of the night and you will receive multiple shotgun blasts to the chest. Unless you bring cake.

Great point. Look at Chicago's gun laws. Toughest and most restrictive in the country, yet they have one of the highest murder rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island