Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,770 times

Advertisements

It amazes me how many people so willingly and joyfully surrender their 4th and 5th amendment rights! No, you do not have to let them in. No, not everyone who refuses is guilty of something, some just don't like strangers in their house. Yes, they can get a warrant, but they will need some reason to convince a judge you are doing something wrong, not just "tax purposes". You have a RIGHT to refuse them entry, it is an unreasonable search of your property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 PM

186 posts, read 526,435 times
no one can enter your home except
1. with your permission
2. with a warrant
3. a police officer in close pursuit

its up to the town to prove you have an illegal apt. any information you give them will be used against you. In the U.S of A your inocent until proven guilty. you don't have to exonorate yourself for anyone. getting the warrant is no easy thing

Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
Perhaps after the present IRS scandal is settled the rules regarding a building dept will be re written.Lets hope so for the better and the home owners rights.In the mean time call your local elected officials with any complaints

Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 AM

556 posts, read 622,764 times
True Story:
A neighbor was reported for having an illegal apartment, which she did. She did not get any notice but an inspector showed up one day. The inspector asked the illegal tenant for entrance into the illegal apartment. Within 1 month the illegal tenant was looking for a new residence!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
I just don't like state employees and would enjoy making their jobs as difficult as possible.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 PM

38 posts, read 73,991 times
I work with a law office in Suffolk County, Long Island. This is one of our most common inquiries.

You absolutely can and should refuse access.

It's even better when we fax them a "lawyer letter" telling them to leave you alone. :-)

Old 06-06-2013, 01:18 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
While I agree in principle wholeheartedly that you have the right to deny them access, in practice, one never knows the ramifications of doing so and I personally would rather deal with what I know as opposed to what I don't know. Just read through any thread dealing with permit issues and you can see the hell people have gone through.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
While I agree in principle wholeheartedly that you have the right to deny them access, in practice, one never knows the ramifications of doing so and I personally would rather deal with what I know as opposed to what I don't know. Just read through any thread dealing with permit issues and you can see the hell people have gone through.
Exactly. Sure, a homeowner can refuse entry but the inspector no doubt has unique ways of getting 'even' at a later date. Unless a homeowner plans on dying in the house and/or never selling it, making the building inspector's life hard now will likely make for a miserable selling experience down the road.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,310 times
Default Warrantless searches

The typical homeowner does not have to submit to warrantless inspections. They send you that letter with all the legal gumbo on it. Here is the leading court case regarding your questions. Make them get a warrant.

Camara v. Municipal Court, 387 U.S. 523 (1967)

This is a great case.[/FONT]

Old 05-12-2014, 05:53 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
True Story:
A neighbor was reported for having an illegal apartment, which she did. She did not get any notice but an inspector showed up one day. The inspector asked the illegal tenant for entrance into the illegal apartment. Within 1 month the illegal tenant was looking for a new residence!
This is different. The inspector was granted access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island