Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

I've had FIOS for 3 years...Love it!

You couldn't pay me to go back with our cable provider (Comcast)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,751,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
That is true about CV and their modems. I remember many nights getting shut down completely until morning with Optimum.

If you need reliable Internet, Fios is definitely the best in the biz for Internet. It's probably the most expensive depending on your particular deal (I just got a letter that my monthly rate is rising next month). And the picture is the brightest and as good or better than Directv's HD pic -- and with Fios no need to worry about your dish going out in a major storm. The phone service is what it is...expensive because of hefty NYS taxes on it.

See, when I had Optimum, I had Verizon for my phone (no way am I going to cable phone EVER, since Verizon goes out extraordionarily rarely and Cable used to to go out if I flushed the toilet wrong....yes, that's an overstatement pequaDUDE, so unknot the panties). Anyway, when I went to FIOS, I ended up saving money from CV (for Cable with HBO and Starz and HBO on Demand and internet) and Verizon for phone for FIOS with phone, a higher level of internet and EVERY movie channel with each of their On Demand Channels....oh, and FREE content. Hear THAT, CV? Some companies actually offer free content like FEAR.Net and other channels...who knew TCM even HAD movies on demand?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I've had FIOS for 3 years...Love it!

You couldn't pay me to go back with our cable provider (Comcast)

My brother lives near Philly and has been impatiently waiting for years for FIOS to come so he can dump them. He HATES Comcast.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
See, when I had Optimum, I had Verizon for my phone (no way am I going to cable phone EVER, since Verizon goes out extraordionarily rarely and Cable used to to go out if I flushed the toilet wrong....yes, that's an overstatement pequaDUDE, so unknot the panties). Anyway, when I went to FIOS, I ended up saving money from CV (for Cable with HBO and Starz and HBO on Demand and internet) and Verizon for phone for FIOS with phone, a higher level of internet and EVERY movie channel with each of their On Demand Channels....oh, and FREE content. Hear THAT, CV? Some companies actually offer free content like FEAR.Net and other channels...who knew TCM even HAD movies on demand?

CV can offer you a list of on-demand channels for a low price of 9.99.*

*on-demand channels can be purchased ranging from 9.99 per month to 19.99 per month.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
CV can offer you a list of on-demand channels for a low price of 9.99.*

*on-demand channels can be purchased ranging from 9.99 per month to 19.99 per month.

It used to be 4.95 in addition to the regular subscription (i.e. if you subscribed to HBO, you could get HBO On Demand for 4.95 a month more)...they RAISED the rate?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
And this will transfer between CV, VZ or whoever phone provider you end up with. Taxes are taxes.
Do Vonage, Skype, magicJack and Google Voice carry these same NYS land line taxes?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:52 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Do Vonage, Skype, magicJack and Google Voice carry these same NYS land line taxes?
dunno, probably in all honesty. It's not like it's a company tax, it's local/state/federal taxes.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM

516 posts, read 1,075,204 times
As the original starter of this thread I have to say I have no problem with how FIOS performs, it does beat Cablevision. I personaly know some of the FIOS installers and they are Verizon employees.

My only problem with Verizon is the is the deceptive sales practices they used on me. Verizon Wireless is no better, you never know what the service costs till your second or third bil,

For now I am sticking with Cablevision till Verizon gets the sales/billing thing down right

Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 AM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times
I've had FIOS for a year and a half and am very happy with it. I had Cablevision for years and it was horrible. My modem used to go out all the time. I've never had an issue with any of my FIOS equipment. Yes, my husband works for FIOS but this is not why I favor FIOS over Cablevision. I couldn't wait to dump Cablevision after moving out of my condo complex. I also had the DISH which blew Cable tv out of the water (aside from losing it when having storms). Overall though, I like FIOS and if I ever had to choose again what provider to go with if I ever dumped FIOS (which probably wouldn't happen), I would totally choose the DISH over going back with Cablevision. I also would get DSL lines before going with Optimum internet b/c as I said before, my modem used to go out all the time and then I would have to sit there unplugging it and plugging it back in. Oh, and my cable boxes were the same way...Trying to reset them and wait for them to come back on was a biatch...Never had a problem with FIOS like that.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:12 AM

157 posts, read 379,340 times
Among the many benefits of FIOS, I can now watch the NFL network. Try doing that with CV.

Matt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island