Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 50,091 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving to Long Island in June for a job at LIJ hospital and I would love some input about where to live. I am a late 20s, single young professional female and have been living on the UES in Manhattan. The hospital is not within walking distance of LIRR or subway and I have tried to take public transportation from the UES and it was a 2 hour ordeal involving subway, LIRR and sketchy buses.

I am planning on living in Queens or Nassau County and commuting by car to the hospital. I will be working 8am-6pm. I love some of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn but I'm worried that it might be too long of a commute in rush hour so I'm focusing on areas in Queens such as Astoria, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Bayside, etc. I am also interested in neighborhoods in Nassau County such as Long Beach, Mineola, Huntington, Great Neck, Floral Park and Port Washington but I have not actually made it out to LI to explore these neighborhoods and have no idea how hard it would be to get to work.

Any advice about where a young person should live within a 30 minute commute by car to LIJ would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 11:37 AM

19 posts, read 42,569 times
What's your budget (very important)? 1 bedroom?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Budget is $1500 max in Queens, $1600 max in Nassau county- the NYC tax hits my income pretty hard so it would be great to find a place in Nassau County. Glen Oaks sounds great, thank you for the tip.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 AM

233 posts, read 751,670 times
Aren't there multiple LIJ locations?

Can you say which one or will you be floating?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 AM

633 posts, read 952,568 times
The Glen Oaks Village Owners (GOVO) co-ops are in that area. I believe a lot of people rent out their co-ops, or, if you plan to be at LIJ long term, you could consider buying. GOVO is in both Bellerose and Glen Oaks.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 PM

25 posts, read 81,295 times
go on the nslij 'healthport' and look on the employee bb

Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will be 90% at the New Hyde Park LIJ location. I will not be going to other locations more than once or twice a month. I can't log into healthport because I don't get an ID until orientation, so that unfortunately doesn't help. I have been getting emails from the new hire office with available housing listings but most of these are either $3000+ house rentals or furnished room rentals, neither of which is what I'm looking for.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,180,143 times
Go on mlsli.com and look at the rental offerings. Another idea is to contact a real estate agent in the area of the hospital or one of the areas you want to live in who does rentals. A lot of the time the real estate agents have the best apartments (although you'll pay the fee, but you know that already from living in Manhattan). Good luck to you and welcome to LI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island