Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 27,900 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm Guyanese Indian and am looking to move maybe to Wantagh. My wife and I are both professionals, and we have 2 kids ages 5 and 2. The rational being that we like the housing stock, the prices, and the very good school district. We also know that there's not much diversity there and don't want our kids to be treated differently, or be outcasts. Does anyone live there, or can provide any thoughts or opinions on this. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:57 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Well, I live in Massapequa Park..couple of towns over from Wantagh. I can't speak about Wantagh specifically but I can say that the "Italian Riviera of the Great South Bay"...the area from Bellmore to Massapequa Park...is not known for its diversity or is it populated by those who are seeking a diverse community. My guess is neighbors will be tolerant but probably not all that welcoming.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:36 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
You'll be better off moving to Hicksville

Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM

94 posts, read 255,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Well, I live in Massapequa Park..couple of towns over from Wantagh. I can't speak about Wantagh specifically but I can say that the "Italian Riviera of the Great South Bay"...the area from Bellmore to Massapequa Park...is not known for its diversity or is it populated by those who are seeking a diverse community. My guess is neighbors will be tolerant but probably not all that welcoming.

Wait so your saying that my Greek and Mexican Wife and my Greek/Mexican/Italian kids would not be accepted in these areas?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:59 AM

I can only assume that your neighbors are making no judgment about your wife's ethnicity but I can be reasonably certain that if a black family moved into some areas of the SouthShore they are not going to be welcomed with open arms.

Be realistic here.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 PM

128 posts, read 340,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I can only assume that your neighbors are making no judgment about your wife's ethnicity but I can be reasonably certain that if a black family moved into some areas of the SouthShore they are not going to be welcomed with open arms.

Be realistic here.
South Shore = Racist. Gotcha.

Blanket statements like this are ridiculous.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:16 PM

What you seem to think is ridiculous most others would probably call it the truth.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:17 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
My sister lives in Hicksville. I can tell you they have a very welcoming community for Indian Americans. I don't know enough about Wantagh, but my guess is that it would be fine. Much of it depends on how much effort you make to be friendly to the neighbors. If you are pleasant and show that you want to be part of the community, then it should be fine.

The husband of the couple down the street from us is Indian. We live in Garden City, which many on here believe to be Virginia during the Civil War. That family is very welcome and participate in many neighborhood activities. Their kids play with all the other kids, and it doesn't matter that their skin is slightly darker than the rest. A lot of these generalizations on here are myths.

So, don't let people scare you from areas of LI with blanket statements.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
South Shore = Racist. Gotcha.

Blanket statements like this are ridiculous.
To play devils advocate (considering who we are talking about), web sites like this are all about blanket statements. The schools are good, the schools are bad, the area has drugs, the area doesn't, the people are nice, the people suck.

We're dealing in generalities here for the most part, and as a general statement, the south shore of Nassau Cty is pretty Italian-American centric with a nod to the Irish-Americans, and not know for being a bastion of diversity. If blanket statements offend you, you should probably not be on this forum. Just repeat in your head "eveyone is different, everyone's experience will be unique" and move on.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 PM

I think, in a wordy manner, Dman actually agreed with me

Wow...there is a pig outside my office window...it's flying!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island