Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:43 PM

128 posts, read 340,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I'd go west. Wyoming, Utah, Western Nebraska, around there. It's everything LI is not. No crowding, horrible traffic, it has low taxes, low crime rates, low humidity, much lower cost of living. It's not perfect but then no where is. Due to higher altitude for the most part,they have harsher winters but even that isn't so bad because with the low humidity, the cold doesn't seep into your bones the way it does here.
If the poster likes being near the water, the three you mentioned would be a big no no considering they are land locked and the winters are brutal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
Utah is an up and coming state. They have strong and smart local government and they've encouraged a lot of growth there over the years. Yes, there are many Mormons, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
You'll end up in Cary. They all do. Cary= Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. 5 bedroom house for under $400k sure won't be a reality in Cary though! Not since it has been overtaken by Long Islanders! lol

If you want to see what Cary (and unfortunately most of Wake County) will look like in 10-15 years, look at Broward County FL....and to see what it will look like in 30 years just look at Long Island!

Best advice; if you want to move to a place as an escape from what Long Island has become, it is probably wisest to NOT move to a place where the rest of your fellow LI expats are all flocking to.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:15 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times
The last thing we've ever been is materialistic, LOL! We're in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath cape with four children and one on the way. Our taxes are close to if not around $10K as is (the 2nd bath is not c/o'd), so if we add on we're in trouble. I think having five children share 4 bedrooms isn't asking for too much.

My husband just finished his 20 years with the police. No, he's not much older, he's 43 and I'm 36. I drive a 10 year old minivan (and proud of it) and he working hard on driving his Hyundai station car into the ground, LOL. I do not get my nails done weekly, nor do I hit Starbucks daily or throw $500 birthday parties for my children. I buy in bulk, have pizza parties and brew my own coffee, thank you very much.

I'm not saying LI is on the decline at all. It is just proving to be beyond our means if we wish to save for the future, college tuition (at least some), and the like. I LIKE staying home with the children and raising them. It is a choice that I made that USED to be something one could do here on the island. Well, for the most part, those days are gone. My husband does not want to go into the security field like most retired cops do, and wants to pursue his education and do something different. I say why not encourage the guy to do that? The last thing I want him to feel after putting in his time is that he HAS to put in time somewhere else. He has his B.A and if he wants to earn a Masters, God bless him.

So, just to clear it up...NOT looking to go somewhere else where being materialistic comes at a cheaper price, LOL. Just looking for more home for the money with less taxes and quality of life. I'll miss LI, but that's only because I was raised here. My husband brought up a very good point to me. He said if we were from any other state and went in search for a home, we would NEVER zero in on LI due to cost factor alone. It would have immediately been taken off our list, same as DC, Boston, etc.

Thanks to all who have replied BTW! I appreciate all of the opinions!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
You'll end up in Cary. They all do. Cary= Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. 5 bedroom house for under $400k sure won't be a reality in Cary though! Not since it has been overtaken by Long Islanders! lol

If you want to see what Cary (and unfortunately most of Wake County) will look like in 10-15 years, look at Broward County FL....and to see what it will look like in 30 years just look at Long Island!

Best advice; if you want to move to a place as an escape from what Long Island has become, it is probably wisest to NOT move to a place where the rest of your fellow LI expats are all flocking to.
I agree 100%. Before I moved to Central Va. I to was going to follow the herd to Cary.....I'm so glad I didn't. Sometimes listening to your spouse does work

Old 05-03-2010, 05:12 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
The last thing we've ever been is materialistic, LOL! We're in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath cape with four children and one on the way. Our taxes are close to if not around $10K as is (the 2nd bath is not c/o'd), so if we add on we're in trouble. I think having five children share 4 bedrooms isn't asking for too much.

My husband just finished his 20 years with the police. No, he's not much older, he's 43 and I'm 36. I drive a 10 year old minivan (and proud of it) and he working hard on driving his Hyundai station car into the ground, LOL. I do not get my nails done weekly, nor do I hit Starbucks daily or throw $500 birthday parties for my children. I buy in bulk, have pizza parties and brew my own coffee, thank you very much.

I'm not saying LI is on the decline at all. It is just proving to be beyond our means if we wish to save for the future, college tuition (at least some), and the like. I LIKE staying home with the children and raising them. It is a choice that I made that USED to be something one could do here on the island. Well, for the most part, those days are gone. My husband does not want to go into the security field like most retired cops do, and wants to pursue his education and do something different. I say why not encourage the guy to do that? The last thing I want him to feel after putting in his time is that he HAS to put in time somewhere else. He has his B.A and if he wants to earn a Masters, God bless him.

So, just to clear it up...NOT looking to go somewhere else where being materialistic comes at a cheaper price, LOL. Just looking for more home for the money with less taxes and quality of life. I'll miss LI, but that's only because I was raised here. My husband brought up a very good point to me. He said if we were from any other state and went in search for a home, we would NEVER zero in on LI due to cost factor alone. It would have immediately been taken off our list, same as DC, Boston, etc.

First, good luck with,when and where you decide to move

Second, I was in kind of the same situation as you are. I'm a retired PD LT. and your husband's pension will go so much further once your off the Island.

Third, It's a lot less stressful now that the 5 of us don't have to fight over the one shower we use to have. Let me warn you though my 6 full baths are a ***** to clean, so a different kind of stress but you learn to deal with it!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:13 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Twingles,

Are you serious? A 1560 and a 99% and she can't get into Ivies from LI schools? That's very odd, unless she is white and somehow the affirmative action quotas have totally blocked out any chance she may have. Those scores are normally a shoe-in for some Ivy League schools.
I believe it.

That is not a shoe-in or even close. Just went through this, 2400 SAT, 5s on 18 AP exams, merit scholar, national finalist in several national competitions, intel semi-finalist, national TV appearances, leadership roles and awards resulted in rejections and wait-listed. There are quotas based on your geographic region and Long Island and parts of NJ are the most competitive. Lots and lots of over-achievers. Even kids who had all of the above and went down to South America and single-handedly started some village school in an Indian community get rejected. Too many others have done the same thing. Your neice should not feel bad.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post

Best advice; if you want to move to a place as an escape from what Long Island has become, it is probably wisest to NOT move to a place where the rest of your fellow LI expats are all flocking to

Amen

Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Hard to argue with that BM.

Huhuh

BM

Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post

Good luck in your search. As I said in my post the materialism/large house thing did not apply to the thread you started (this one). Keep us posted as I am always curious how these things play out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island