U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:54 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,466,872 times

Advertisements

Don't know understeer vs oversteer?
Don't know how to change a tire?
Don't know how to change your oil?
Don't know the basic components to your engine?

Then you shouldn't be driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 AM

4,944 posts, read 4,355,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStarfish82 View Post
People who sit three inches from their steering wheel
I saw an early 20's girl the other day sit right up against the wheel... I couldn't believe it. How's it possible to drive like that - range of motion and all? And any slight bump from another car she'd hit her head on the wheel - no joke.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:16 AM

3,686 posts, read 4,530,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Don't know understeer vs oversteer?
Don't know how to change a tire?
Don't know how to change your oil?
Don't know the basic components to your engine?

Then you shouldn't be driving.
What does that have to do with driving?

That stuff is for grease monkeys to take care of.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:48 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,412,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
What does that have to do with driving?

That stuff is for grease monkeys to take care of.
No.

You should know how your 2 ton steel monster on wheels operates before you barrel that thing down roads.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 AM

9,127 posts, read 10,709,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
blind people
For once you are right.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
No.

You should know how your 2 ton steel monster on wheels operates before you barrel that thing down roads.
That's utterly ridiculous and absurd. The only mechanics you need to know are in the owner's manual.

why do you need to know how to change oil to drive a car?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:59 AM

15,856 posts, read 17,126,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
old people, teenagers, people originally from massachusetts (slooowest drovers!), people who drive buicks, people who wear really big hats, blind people
I don't know about that jdawg. If blind people shouldn't drive, then how come sometimes the drive-up ATM machines have braille on the buttons?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:58 PM

3,939 posts, read 4,412,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
That's utterly ridiculous and absurd. The only mechanics you need to know are in the owner's manual.

why do you need to know how to change oil to drive a car?
I'm not saying you need to know the minute details of the inner workings of the engine, but just driving a car and not knowing how to do something as simple as changing a tire, or even changing your own oil, is absurd and pathetic.

I may be totally weird but before I start getting involved in something big for a long period of time I like to know how it works and know what to do if it breaks, if only to protect myself from harming myself or someone else.

Relying on others for such little things is terrible.

EDIT: EVEN IF YOU CAN'T DO IT, it's good to know what is going on so you're not taken for a ride when you bring your car in to the shop.

"Hi I need my oil changed I don't know what it uses or where it goes."
"Sure that'll be $150.00. Need to change your blinker fluid and exhaust bearings too."
"OKAY!!!"

Old 05-06-2010, 01:05 PM

27 posts, read 52,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
sorry but if I'm on a one-lane road and going either the speed limit or a little over and you come barreling down expecting me to double the limit, I'll take my sweet time.
Sorry, I forgot to mention the driver in front of me is usually NOT even near the speed limit. More like driving in a 30 mph zone and doing a casual 15-20 mph. Sometimes my foot isn't even on the pedal and I end up creeping on their tail without meaning to do it. I end up driving on my break the whole time.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:09 PM

In a similar vein to kayfour...I believe no one should drive a car who spells "brake" as "break". How can someone safely operate a motor vehicle who doesn't know how to spell each part properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island