U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-06-2010, 04:46 PM

15,759 posts, read 16,339,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Before you spout off sage advise about tools and belts etc...you should take a look under the hood of a new car. I challenge you to be able to change what, at one time, was accesible and easily fixed. Taking out a battery now is a major project.

Repairs should be left to experts..that's why they have towing services.
I agree that the newer cars are much more complicated and often need computerized diagnostics to diagnose them before you can even fix them (which the DIY type guy/gal definitely does not have in his/her garage). However, there are still a few small things you can do yourself when in a jam.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 10:10 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,395,783 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with driving?

That stuff is for grease monkeys to take care of.
Quote:
That's utterly ridiculous and absurd. The only mechanics you need to know are in the owner's manual.

why do you need to know how to change oil to drive a car?
Understeer vs oversteer are driving conditions. Please refrain from driving because you don't know what your talking about either.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:04 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,443,951 times
Well, there's one guy in a red pick-up who is probably feeling like he shouldn't ever drive again. We were two cars behind him when he hit a cyclist on Montauk Highway in the Oakdale/Sayville area today.

Poor cyclist went flying into a telephone pole and couldn't get back up. Looked like he banged up his hip pretty badly. Thank goodness he was wearing a helmet, or who knows what would have happened because he had a nice lump sprouting in the center of his forehead anyway. My guy called the incident in and they took the cyclist away on a stretcher in an ambulance. He was talking, and he'll probably be fine, but augh, what a thing to see. Just bright neon green and WHAM into the pole.

The guy who hit him seemed stunned, himself. Thank goodness he owned up to it and didn't try any hit-and-run funny business.

And of course, within moments there were rubberneckers. Talk about people who shouldn't be allowed to drive. This one white-haired woman slowed down to about 20, 25 mph with other cars coming up on her fast, and veering over as she gawked. Her windows were open and heck yes, I barked at her to move it through. She was going to cause another accident right there, and take down the folks who were trying to help!

The silver lining: There are still some Samaritans around. When it happened, three or four other parties pulled right over, and one of the guys, who had an SUV, volunteered to take the bicycle to the poor guy's house for him. A few of the locals came out of their houses and offered to help. Response time was great for ambulance and police, too.

What a day.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:39 PM

26 posts, read 13,320 times
Default women yakking on cells

I hate to say this about my own gender, but women in general never stop talking. STOP TALKING and put the cell phone down, unplug it and look at the road.

Mothers are the worst, because their brats are yelling at each other (wouldn't you if your mother was always on the cell?) l........need I say more?

STOP TALKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd really like to say that men are as bad, but....they're not.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 PM

7 posts, read 7,162 times
Anyone that doesnt use a turn signal for changing lanes or making a turn BEFORE actually changing lanes or making the turn.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 PM

160 posts, read 146,682 times
People who drive cars with tinted windows.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,193,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Scout View Post
People who drive cars with tinted windows.
explain?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:26 AM

152 posts, read 177,070 times
*People with loose animals, animals sitting on their laps (usually females) or animals sticking out of windows

*very short women in very big SUV's

*people that dive 2" from your rear bumper

*woman putting on lipstick, makeup

*people picking their noses

*old bald guys in a convertible sports car

*very large people in very small cars

*males under 30

*anyone on a motorcycle

*people doing 25 in left lane on LIE

*people on Hwy that change 6 million times and get 10' ahead of you

*People that stop to talk to pedestrians in middle of road

*people that have no clue how to park

*people that create their own parking spots in lots

*people that even pull into a handicapped spot & not handicapped

Old 09-06-2010, 10:07 PM

15 posts, read 21,217 times
1. All those that park their car, open the door and hit the car in the spot next to it. You should be able to exit yours without damaging mine.

2. Those who do not adapt their driving for inclement weather and poor visibility conditions - such as snow, or the sun shining in your eyes during rush hour.

3. All those who are driving intoxicated ... I should type that one in bold letters as it may be the most popular infraction rolling.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:08 PM

752 posts, read 787,014 times
people that drive expensive cars but cant afford hands free kits...put the phone down or get a parrot kit or something morons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island