Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times

Advertisements

kayfour...I think you should differentiate between owning and operating an automobile. There is no need to know the workings of a car to operate it properly but, if you own it, you may want to learn a few more things.

I know many people who could never change a tire or do an oil change who are excellent drivers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 12:23 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitterChatter View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention the driver in front of me is usually NOT even near the speed limit. More like driving in a 30 mph zone and doing a casual 15-20 mph. Sometimes my foot isn't even on the pedal and I end up creeping on their tail without meaning to do it. I end up driving on my break the whole time.
Oh well yeah that is bad and I'd get angry too. I hate when I'm going the speed limit or a little over and people expect me to go 90 in a 30mph zone.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
kayfour...I think you should differentiate between owning and operating an automobile. There is no need to know the workings of a car to operate it properly but, if you own it, you may want to learn a few more things.

I know many people who could never change a tire or do an oil change who are excellent drivers
I'm not saying bad drivers can change tires/oil and good drivers can't, or even the other way around.

I'm saying if you are operating something you should have a basic understanding of what it is, what it does, and how to fix it if it breaks.

Even if I am renting something or borrowing a tool from someone, I would want to know how to use it, what job it does, and what to do if I need to fix it.

Call me crazy.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I'm not saying bad drivers can change tires/oil and good drivers can't, or even the other way around.

I'm saying if you are operating something you should have a basic understanding of what it is, what it does, and how to fix it if it breaks.

Even if I am renting something or borrowing a tool from someone, I would want to know how to use it, what job it does, and what to do if I need to fix it.

Call me crazy.
Sure, I'll call you crazy!

You may be crazy, but if your tire goes flat on the interstate, YOU won't be waiting around for the auto club to make an appearance ... you'll change it and be off!

PS: Besides a spare tire, keep basic tools and belts in the car for another quick fix that, if you didn't have the stuff on hand, might otherwise leave you stranded for awhile.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Sure, I'll call you crazy!

You may be crazy, but if your tire goes flat on the interstate, YOU won't be waiting around for the auto club to make an appearance ... you'll change it and be off!

PS: Besides a spare tire, keep basic tools and belts in the car for another quick fix that, if you didn't have the stuff on hand, might otherwise leave you stranded for awhile.
Before you spout off sage advise about tools and belts etc...you should take a look under the hood of a new car. I challenge you to be able to change what, at one time, was accesible and easily fixed. Taking out a battery now is a major project.

Repairs should be left to experts..that's why they have towing services.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post

Call me crazy.
Ok, you're crazy. If the world followed your advise, the majority of the people who post on this site probably would not be using a computer because most don't understand its workings, have a limited knowledge of what it can do...and forget fixing it...thats why there are call centers in Mumbai!!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Ok, you're crazy. If the world followed your advise, the majority of the people who post on this site probably would not be using a computer because most don't understand its workings
I know, what a travesty.. having people do some research on what they are using. We don't want the world to end, I guess...

Maybe if people would spend the time to sit down and understand some basic things, we would stop having parents call their kids about broken computers because the power cable is unplugged

Old 05-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
that's why they have towing services.
No, they have towing services for suckers who can't figure out a serpentine belt from a seat belt.

When my alternator broke on a trip from NY to VA, I didn't cry to a tow truck (right away), I busted out my tools (in the pouring rain) and attempted a fix.. until I realized the shaft on the alternator snapped.. THEN I called a tow truck

Old 05-06-2010, 02:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
In a similar vein to kayfour...I believe no one should drive a car who spells "brake" as "break". How can someone safely operate a motor vehicle who doesn't know how to spell each part properly.
After all how would you break the news that your brakes are broken?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Ok, you're crazy. If the world followed your advise, the majority of the people who post on this site probably would not be using a computer because most don't understand its workings, have a limited knowledge of what it can do...and forget fixing it...thats why there are call centers in Mumbai!!!!!!!!
If we are talking about Dell Level 1 ... more useless than a person who doesn't know a mouse from a foot pedal ... staffed with people who don't know anymore than the consumer, barely speak english, and read off questions from a script AT the caller instead of listening to what the caller is asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: