U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 AM

3,569 posts, read 4,561,023 times

Advertisements

When trying to attract big business you have to ask, "Why Long Island?"

Is it affordable, business friendly, employee friendly, has an efficient transportation system, etc. You really can't sell the Island as desirable to business based on "beaches, pizza and close to NYC".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 AM

277 posts, read 298,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Neither come first- Businesses nowadays with the magic of the internet will locate to a place that's cheap and convinent for them, as well as a place where they can find hires and live well.

NoVA is in many ways the well developed commercial and residential suburb to Washington, with many of the Gov't offices especially military being in NoVA. NoVA has the quite posh urban cities of Alexandria and Arlington. NoVA has a fantastic Metro, poor traffic but the roads on an okay day can get you into DC in 30-40 minutes. NoVA has George Mason, UVA, and VA Tech.

Long Island is a sub-par developed residental suburb to New York. There is little to no major commerical business remaining here. There are no towns/cities of noteriety (save the East End which is a completely different story). We have a rip off railroad, and traffic that's so poor, generally the 40 minute trip to Manhattan takes 90 minutes and costs 5.50 each way. LI has Hofstra, C.W. Post, and NYIT.

Well, what does LI have that's a bigger plus- it's proximity to NYC is far more valuable than anyones proximity to DC, but you know what- if a business wants to be in NYC... there's plenty that's closer and cheaper, hungrier for their dollar, and willing to work with big business.

So the taxes will not end. Even if you can have your way with your massive public service cuts, taxes here will never stabalize to what other people pay- nothing will ever equate to what commercial business base can do to an area.
Exactly, so you still need a cheaper place to attract businesses. Businesses won't come here with these type of taxes/expenses. Not only businesses but also a young talented workforce. My dad was involved in hiring a few people for the company he works for, and he said they had 2 really good new grads lined up, but when they saw how much taxes/houses were in comparison to what they were getting paid, they both ran off. He said it's getting really difficult to hire good people now.

I couldn't help it but I was curious to see the salary schedule for a fairfax county teacher:
http://www.fcps.edu/DHR/salary/scale...ay_teacher.pdf

and here's one from hauppauge, NY, p46
http://www.seethroughny.com/Portals/...ppauge%20T.pdf

Mind you, I think the teachers in fairfax country get paid pretty well, but a Hauppauge BA earns more than a PhD in fairfax county?! And fairfax county has a higher COL than suffolk. And, also the salary in fairfax never surpasses 100k irregardless of degree or experience.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:50 AM

429 posts, read 537,683 times
So eventually something has to give. No businesses, no jobs, less people - and the tax burden falls on those who remain. Eventually they will leave as well. Schools will have to shut down (which has happened in the past with less enrollment) - I believe there's alreay been a hiring freeze for a number of years in my district (MCSD). Let's face it, it really is the school portion of the taxes that is killing us. Kids coming out of college would be crazy to stick around here, unless they want to live with mom & dad forever...

Old 05-07-2010, 09:26 AM

2,923 posts, read 3,139,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
So eventually something has to give. No businesses, no jobs, less people - and the tax burden falls on those who remain. Eventually they will leave as well. Schools will have to shut down (which has happened in the past with less enrollment) - I believe there's alreay been a hiring freeze for a number of years in my district (MCSD). Let's face it, it really is the school portion of the taxes that is killing us. Kids coming out of college would be crazy to stick around here, unless they want to live with mom & dad forever...
Living at home with mom & dad is not bad, consider the alternative - Homeless or living 9 in a 3 bedroom apartment.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:46 AM

9,343 posts, read 17,001,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Living at home with mom & dad is not bad ...

Especially, if the child/children can finance a multi-generational expansion of the parents' home.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 AM
GPC

992 posts, read 1,539,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Living at home with mom & dad is not bad, consider the alternative - Homeless or living 9 in a 3 bedroom apartment.
Ideally, no adult children would need/want to live with mom and dad. A better alternative, in my opinion, is to move to an area where everyone can afford to pay their own housing expenses. Besides, even if mom and dad allowed their adult kids to remain at home, I can only imagine the damage inflicted on their kids' pride as a result.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:09 AM

3,589 posts, read 6,085,340 times
^^ And this is why alot of people are not coming back to LI after graduating.

My take on it is like this....When I retire I will more than likely have to leave LI. When my kids graduate college they wont be able to afford LI. So why the hell do I stay here? If you think about it doesnt make any sense to stay. Taxes will continue to rise no matter what.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 AM

128 posts, read 204,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post

My take on it is like this....When I retire I will more than likely have to leave LI. When my kids graduate college they wont be able to afford LI. So why the hell do I stay here? If you think about it doesnt make any sense to stay. Taxes will continue to rise no matter what.
If your kids are going to college and can land a decent job I find no reason why they will not be able to afford Long Island. Everything is relative. Yes housing is expensive, but wages are also competive.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:16 AM

9,146 posts, read 10,759,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post

That's our take too. It's doable now. But it won't be doable when we retire, so why not move now. My parents just moved, they are in their mid-70s and it was difficult for them (although they are thrilled now that they are all settled). Same with our kids...give them a chance to grow up somewhere affordable.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:21 AM

3,589 posts, read 6,085,340 times
If you say so. Average salary on LI is not that much. Giving the c.o.l. and the starting salaries elsewhere I def. would not choose LI.

If your offered a $40K job on LI and $35 in NC it would not even be close. A sh*tty basement apt. on LI averages $900 a month. You can buy a house with those numbers elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
If your kids are going to college and can land a decent job I find no reason why they will not be able to afford Long Island. Everything is relative. Yes housing is expensive, but wages are also competive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island