U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-07-2010, 10:24 AM
GPC

991 posts, read 1,532,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
If you say so. Average salary on LI is not that much. Giving the c.o.l. and the starting salaries elsewhere I def. would not choose LI.

If your offered a $40K job on LI and $35 in NC it would not even be close. A sh*tty basement apt. on LI averages $900 a month. You can buy a house with those numbers elsewhere.
Exactly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:26 AM

5,130 posts, read 4,984,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
If your kids are going to college and can land a decent job I find no reason why they will not be able to afford Long Island. Everything is relative. Yes housing is expensive, but wages are also competive.
Seriously... you're done with college - awesome. Now you need to find "a decent job" to start paying down all those student loans. Where are you going to do that? The wages are NOT competitive in the private sector on LI. You need to work in the public sector or go into NYC to find a salary that comes close to justifying the housing prices, taxes, consumables, insurance, etc. Even then, one could argue that it's still not nearly enough.

The previous posts about living in parents basements, expanding off the back in some ugly multi-family situation, or leaving LI are happening. Ignoring that is a mistake.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:26 AM

2,438 posts, read 5,651,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
Exactly, so you still need a cheaper place to attract businesses. Businesses won't come here with these type of taxes/expenses. Not only businesses but also a young talented workforce. My dad was involved in hiring a few people for the company he works for, and he said they had 2 really good new grads lined up, but when they saw how much taxes/houses were in comparison to what they were getting paid, they both ran off. He said it's getting really difficult to hire good people now.

I couldn't help it but I was curious to see the salary schedule for a fairfax county teacher:
http://www.fcps.edu/DHR/salary/scale...ay_teacher.pdf

and here's one from hauppauge, NY, p46
http://www.seethroughny.com/Portals/...ppauge%20T.pdf

Mind you, I think the teachers in fairfax country get paid pretty well, but a Hauppauge BA earns more than a PhD in fairfax county?! And fairfax county has a higher COL than suffolk. And, also the salary in fairfax never surpasses 100k irregardless of degree or experience.
Farifax district also serves 170,000 chindren with over 20 High schools and they spend over $13,000 per pupil. Amazing. Would never happen here. There could be alot of money saved by consolidating school districts but no one wants to do that. Wonder how good this district could be? Sounds like the "Costco" of school districts. Cheap but maybe little to no service?

Fairfax is also rated 54th highest in the country in population fleeing the county.

Interesting.....

Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 AM

5,130 posts, read 4,984,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Fairfax is also rated 54th highest in the country in population fleeing the county.

Interesting.....
Where do you find a stat like that?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ And this is why alot of people are not coming back to LI after graduating.

My take on it is like this....When I retire I will more than likely have to leave LI. When my kids graduate college they wont be able to afford LI. So why the hell do I stay here? If you think about it doesnt make any sense to stay. Taxes will continue to rise no matter what.

You stay because this is where your family and friends are, which in the end, its what its all about.

I don't worry about retirement now. I will most likely move close to my kids wherever they end up, be it NY or elsewhere.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 AM

128 posts, read 203,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Seriously... you're done with college - awesome. Now you need to find "a decent job" to start paying down all those student loans. Where are you going to do that? The wages are NOT competitive in the private sector on LI. You need to work in the public sector or go into NYC to find a salary that comes close to justifying the housing prices, taxes, consumables, insurance, etc. Even then, one could argue that it's still not nearly enough.

The previous posts about living in parents basements, expanding off the back in some ugly multi-family situation, or leaving LI are happening. Ignoring that is a mistake.

Depends what private sector you are talking about. The tech side (CA, Symbol, etc) is competitive, the educational side is very competitive (though not private I suppose), plumbers, electricians, contractors make very good money, not sure what industry you are talking about where the wages aren't competitive?

A major difference between people in my age segment and say my parents is that my dad was able to support my family while my mom was a stay at home mom. That is nearly impossible, both need to work to make ends meet.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Where do you find a stat like that?
City-Data

Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,543,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Farifax district also serves 170,000 chindren with over 20 High schools and they spend over $13,000 per pupil. Amazing. Would never happen here. There could be alot of money saved by consolidating school districts but no one wants to do that. Wonder how good this district could be? Sounds like the "Costco" of school districts. Cheap but maybe little to no service?

Interesting.....
But where are they fleeing to? Plenty of other counties surrounding it that a person could go to while still maintaining the same job.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:26 AM

429 posts, read 534,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
If your kids are going to college and can land a decent job I find no reason why they will not be able to afford Long Island. Everything is relative. Yes housing is expensive, but wages are also competive.
I don't agree with this. Back in the 90's my SIL, who lived in WI said that the wages here (in NY) are so much more, so it's a wash. She found out the reality when she moved here (and had to live with my in-laws).

As for a degree that will pay: show it to me. Having been in the engineering business, I can tell you that professional jobs are hard to come by and laden with layoffs. Not a great life. The only people I know who are doing well on LI are in unions.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,787,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
So eventually something has to give. No businesses, no jobs, less people - and the tax burden falls on those who remain. Eventually they will leave as well. Schools will have to shut down (which has happened in the past with less enrollment) - I believe there's alreay been a hiring freeze for a number of years in my district (MCSD). Let's face it, it really is the school portion of the taxes that is killing us. Kids coming out of college would be crazy to stick around here, unless they want to live with mom & dad forever...
And it has been that way since 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island