U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,382,241 times

Advertisements

It'll end when enough people like me get sick of these rediculous taxes and move the heck away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 02:16 PM
GPC

990 posts, read 1,532,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
It'll end when enough people like me get sick of these rediculous taxes and move the heck away!
You took the words right out of my mouth!!!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:18 PM

15,856 posts, read 17,105,076 times
^^^
Some of us don't want to run.

We want to stand and fight.

We want reform of out-of-control unions for a start.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:21 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,543,127 times
When we were buying in the mid 80's the taxes were what shocked us. And that was before the tax shock of 88-89.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
Thats not true.... at all. You think Long Island and taxes and cost of living were so much cheaper thirteen years ago then it is now. Did the cost of living, taxes and home prices jump so drastically that the majority of college grad's will not be afford to buy homes? Well I guess myself and many of my friends must be exceptions to the rule. I guess the neighbors behind me, who are in their late twenties, must have hit the lotto in order to buy their home. Yes it is hard, but it can be done.
How much are you and the other neighbors saving?

How much extra debt are you and they running?

If you lost your job today how long would it be before you burned through all your cash?

What university did you graduate from?

When we were buying in the mid 80's the taxes were what shocked us.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:31 PM

128 posts, read 203,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
When we were buying in the mid 80's the taxes were what shocked us. And that was before the tax shock of 88-89.

How much are you and the other neighbors saving?

How much extra debt are you and they running?

If you lost your job today how long would it be before you burned through all your cash?

What university did you graduate from?

When we were buying in the mid 80's the taxes were what shocked us.

All I am saying is that it's possible. Im a middle class guy who married his high school sweetheart, went to a decent college ( yes I have loans), attended grad school (on my employeers buck), saved and was able to afford a home in a good neighborhood. If I can make it happen, others can as well.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:32 PM

2,438 posts, read 5,651,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ Nice. Got in before the boom. I missed it by one year!
Me too!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:45 PM
GPC

990 posts, read 1,532,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
Some of us don't want to run.

We want to stand and fight.

We want reform of out-of-control unions for a start.
I'd rather spend my time living than fighting.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:01 PM

429 posts, read 534,744 times
Quote:
Thats not true.... at all. You think Long Island and taxes and cost of living were so much cheaper thirteen years ago then it is now. Did the cost of living, taxes and home prices jump so drastically that the majority of college grad's will not be afford to buy homes? Well I guess myself and many of my friends must be exceptions to the rule. I guess the neighbors behind me, who are in their late twenties, must have hit the lotto in order to buy their home. Yes it is hard, but it can be done.

Well MY property taxes doubled and the cost of my house went from $170k to $385k (recently appraised). So, yeah, I'd say the cost increased. If I was right out of college, I'd think twice. Fortunately, we're doing fine now, but I'm looking at how the taxes are increasing exponentially, and I'm looking down the line as to what is to come. It can't be good. When I look at the young couples buying houses you'd better believe that I wonder what they do for a living. My husband and I (both engineers) scraped by when we first started. We got lucky, buying right before the boom.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:14 PM

277 posts, read 297,573 times
Quote:
All I am saying is that it's possible. Im a middle class guy who married his high school sweetheart, went to a decent college ( yes I have loans), attended grad school (on my employeers buck), saved and was able to afford a home in a good neighborhood. If I can make it happen, others can as well.
And what does your high school sweetheart do? And do you work in NYC or LI?

Old 05-07-2010, 03:16 PM

128 posts, read 203,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
And what does your high school sweetheart do? And do you work in NYC or LI?
We both work in the city, I work in finance she works in advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island