Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:22 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

I use it rarely, but the other day we needed to go to Terminal rd. at 9 am

What an[ mod] language removed [/mod] from 112-Wireless (and looked like more gridlock to Nicolls when we got off).No accidents or construction...just little rain.

50 Minutes from RP.Whats that like 8 miles and hour?

If I had to depend on that road Id be outraged.That used to be the bypass?It used to move.Brookhaven really screwed the pooch and killed a major amount of the QOL of the area on that one as it opens up just past the Smithtown line.

Does anyone have any inside poop on the back door dealings that caused the Bypass to become death by Curbcut in Brookhaven?
Rt 347 now officially gets my vote as the worst highway on LI. An epic failure in "planning".

Why isnt every civic leader in 3V/PJ/PJSta etc SCREAMING at their elected officials?
MaybeIm nostalgic but it would be a dealbreaker for me in terms of living near 347 today.Is anything being done?

Ive heard plenty of Moderator cut: language ... any hard facts out there with a timeline?
Tunnel/Widening/Light Rail/Elevated Highway/Overpasses?

where Moderator cut: please watch your language are the Brookhaven Dems....they all live there?

Useless.

Crookhaven

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-09-2010 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 08:05 AM

465 posts, read 1,709,392 times
belle meade rd

and yes, 347 is useless east of the junction with 25.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Thats not my neck of the woods, but the last time I was over there I noticed the traffic lights were not timed correctly. And this was a time of the day when there was little traffic and we should have been moving.

It does not happen overnight, but one development after another adds up alot of traffic after a while. So little planning done by the Towns --- just let the developers keep building and building and building......

Old 05-09-2010, 08:47 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
There was a plan to turn it into a limited access highway but it was too ambitious and nimby types and environmentalists shot it down. I remember having a conversation with a guy who worked as an environmental consultant, and his attitude was that 347 should be left the way it is because if you improve it that will simply spur more development out east and the situation will be the same in 10 years.

I can't argue that might happen if the planning is poor, but we are supposed to punish people who live in the area now because the area was poorly planned?

They basically need to eliminate half the lights between 25 and 112. There should only be 2 or 3 main access roads onto the highway and very few crossing points.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There was a plan to turn it into a limited access highway but it was too ambitious and nimby types and environmentalists shot it down. I remember having a conversation with a guy who worked as an environmental consultant, and his attitude was that 347 should be left the way it is because if you improve it that will simply spur more development out east and the situation will be the same in 10 years.

I can't argue that might happen if the planning is poor, but we are supposed to punish people who live in the area now because the area was poorly planned?

They basically need to eliminate half the lights between 25 and 112. There should only be 2 or 3 main access roads onto the highway and very few crossing points.

Do you have any historical Dman?

I heard that Grucci lined his pockets on this.

Thats good insight though.I know 25a is having a corridor study to try and not become 347.My expectations are low.

Crooks

Old 05-09-2010, 01:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

There was talk in the recent past (12-18 months) of trying to create greenways alongside 347 to encourage bicycle traffic, etc, and making 347 more limited access with service roads. To me it sounded like the area in NJ around Rtes 4 & 17 which is a nightmare, too.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:41 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
A bit of research has revealed that your local fire departments and volunteer ambulance services use what is called an opticom system. An opticom system is located on the emergency lightbar of each of their emergency vehicles. Once activated, IE: an emergency response, those vehicles have priority over the roadways via a sensor mounted by each traffic light at every intersection usually at mid wire. The sensor is black and it appears that small tubes protrude from it. Once activated their light will turn green. THe sensors can pick up the signal from approximately 1/2 mile away.

Normally the lights reset once the vehicle has passed and all is fine.

Occasionally it can throw off a traffic light system that is timed to keep traffic at a steady flow. Indications that it is messed up can be situations like a light that won't change for several minutes or gets stuck. a person from the town will then have to respond with a key to the traffic box to manually fix the light.

Numerous emergency response vehicles can wreak havoc with the system such as vehicles that are coming from 2 or 3 directions although I think fire has priority over the ambulance signal.

There you go.

Ain't technology grand

Old 05-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
A bit of research has revealed that your local fire departments and volunteer ambulance services use what is called an opticom system. An opticom system is located on the emergency lightbar of each of their emergency vehicles. Once activated, IE: an emergency response, those vehicles have priority over the roadways via a sensor mounted by each traffic light at every intersection usually at mid wire. The sensor is black and it appears that small tubes protrude from it. Once activated their light will turn green. THe sensors can pick up the signal from approximately 1/2 mile away.

Normally the lights reset once the vehicle has passed and all is fine.

Occasionally it can throw off a traffic light system that is timed to keep traffic at a steady flow. Indications that it is messed up can be situations like a light that won't change for several minutes or gets stuck. a person from the town will then have to respond with a key to the traffic box to manually fix the light.

Numerous emergency response vehicles can wreak havoc with the system such as vehicles that are coming from 2 or 3 directions although I think fire has priority over the ambulance signal.

There you go.

Ain't technology grand

Wow

That explains plenty.
Aint nothing but meatwagons tearing up Nicolls en route to SUSB Hospital all day long.

Thanks LIC.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:21 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Over-development is what happened to Rt.347. The McMansions across from Smith Haven, and then more McMansions further east. Never should have been built. Ditto for that Target/Best Buy.
Its Sprawl at its worst.
The best we can hope for a major conflagoration in what woods remain to burn that crap down.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:42 AM

110 posts, read 456,311 times
347 has been a suck road for awhile. The lights are not syncronized for one thing. If they left 347 exactly like Northern State pkwy, it would have been a pleasure to drive on. I avoid it unless its real early in the morning or real late at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island