U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM

592 posts, read 930,486 times

Advertisements

I just spent over a month of intensive house hunting in the Selden, Centereach, Port Jefferson Station areas. I was looking in the $200,000 to $315,000 price range for a 2-3 BD, 1-2BA house preferably with a basement and/or a garage. (I concentrated in that area because I'm looking for something near my children, near the Three Village and Stony Brook Hospital area for medical reasons and something not too expensive.)

Let me say here that I'm not looking for perfection. A home has to be lived in and I realize that, but minor things can and should be fixed before showing your home and structural problems should either be fixed or the house should be selling for bottom dollar as far as I'm concerned.

I saw so many houses that needed so much work, had high taxes, and in general were not worth near what the sellers were asking for them, especially because they needed many thousands more put into them to make them a nice and solid home. All I could think to myself was why on earth are people caving in and paying these prices for these pieces of junk? If home buyers would stop doing that wouldn't the prices have to drop and then maybe they'd be more in line with what the houses are really worth?

Soft floors (rotten wood underneath), sloping floors, missing screens, dirty and ancient mismatched appliances that made me question if they even worked, rotting wood everywhere, overgrown landscaping, badly sagging roof lines, roofs desperate for replacement, bad smells, windows that don't work, missing baseboard covers, a different floor covering in every room, five different wallpapers in one small house, filthy bathrooms---I mean the list goes on and on. I saw it all! And, the houses are listed as, condition: "excellent" or "mint"!! Someone needs a dictionary!!!

If I walked into five solidly built homes out of the 50 or so that I saw it was a lot and even most of them
had other problems, but at least they had "good bones". Don't get me wrong, I love LI, but come on, these prices are crazy for what you get and why are people buying these dumps at top dollar prices? As the saying goes, just say "NO!!" Wouldn't the prices have to come down then?

Meanwhile I'm going to keep renting!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 12:14 PM

2,352 posts, read 3,622,571 times
Do you know if first timers are actually buying all those properties ? Maybe someone just buys and flips them into a house that you are going to buy soon !!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:27 PM

13,835 posts, read 16,229,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
I just spent over a month of intensive house hunting in the Selden, Centereach, Port Jefferson Station areas. I was looking in the $200,000 to $315,000 price range for a 2-3 BD, 1-2BA house preferably with a basement and/or a garage. (I concentrated in that area because I'm looking for something near my children, near the Three Village and Stony Brook Hospital area for medical reasons and something not too expensive.)

Let me say here that I'm not looking for perfection. A home has to be lived in and I realize that, but minor things can and should be fixed before showing your home and structural problems should either be fixed or the house should be selling for bottom dollar as far as I'm concerned.

I saw so many houses that needed so much work, had high taxes, and in general were not worth near what the sellers were asking for them, especially because they needed many thousands more put into them to make them a nice and solid home. All I could think to myself was why on earth are people caving in and paying these prices for these pieces of junk? If home buyers would stop doing that wouldn't the prices have to drop and then maybe they'd be more in line with what the houses are really worth?

Soft floors (rotten wood underneath), sloping floors, missing screens, dirty and ancient mismatched appliances that made me question if they even worked, rotting wood everywhere, overgrown landscaping, badly sagging roof lines, roofs desperate for replacement, bad smells, windows that don't work, missing baseboard covers, a different floor covering in every room, five different wallpapers in one small house, filthy bathrooms---I mean the list goes on and on. I saw it all! And, the houses are listed as, condition: "excellent" or "mint"!! Someone needs a dictionary!!!

If I walked into five solidly built homes out of the 50 or so that I saw it was a lot and even most of them
had other problems, but at least they had "good bones". Don't get me wrong, I love LI, but come on, these prices are crazy for what you get and why are people buying these dumps at top dollar prices? As the saying goes, just say "NO!!" Wouldn't the prices have to come down then?

Meanwhile I'm going to keep renting!
Have you looked at any of the Knolls condos on Oxhead Rd in Stony Brook?
2 BR, 1-2 baths, EIK, good sized LR/DR, lanai, deep garages. The most expensive one I've seen listed is $315K.

I realize it isn't a house, but when we explored this option for my in-laws, the taxes were $2200/year. Taxes, maintenance and electric in the condo worked out to be about half of what my in-laws were paying solely for taxes in their Stony Brook home.

There's one in the Knolls on mlsli.com now. It's an end unit, and when we looked, the end units were nice because you had more yard space around you. You're not mowing the lawn, which is sweet! Common charge is $200 a month. It's $349K, I'm sorry I know this is over your budget, but the money saved on taxes, gas money shuffling back and forth to Stony Brook (family or medical reasons) might make it worth while in the long run.

mls #2252626

Old 05-10-2010, 12:31 PM

277 posts, read 292,538 times
The taxes on that condo is now about $4500.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM

1,815 posts, read 2,093,990 times
I dont know that area too well but is $200-$315K realistic for something that is abovew what you saw?

Old 05-10-2010, 12:53 PM

429 posts, read 524,741 times
I totally agree. I house hunted a year ago and was looking at garbage for 550k!!! I would expect updates or something, but nope! I gave up and decided to stay put.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:16 PM

13,835 posts, read 16,229,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
The taxes on that condo is now about $4500.

The common charge is almost the same, or within $20 of 2007.

Addendum: I stand corrected on the taxes. They are $4500.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:14 PM

292 posts, read 458,491 times
You should look in Nassau County if you think that's bad. You'll see the same stuff for $500-$600K.

It's been the same for decades, though I suspect. I was singing the same blues 14-15 years ago when we were looking. And now the houses are that much older.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Development is stagnant, and people who are living here are sometimes doing it for the wrong reasons.

Essentially from an investment standpoint, (which if you have no family is how you look at things) LI is an absolute rip.

The reason being little construction can be afforded by anyone other than the wealthy because of the lack of land and strict control over permits and constructions.

I would just like to also add to your post of people writing generically, EXCELLENT, or IN GREAT CONDITION that I always see rental ads that include... WALKING DISTANCE TO LIRR!

.... yeah, right. If I care to walk 2.8 miles each way.

I have been straight up to some people in inquiries on homes for sale or rent. You're out of your mind lady- good luck and I'm sure you'll eventually get someone... but you have an ugly home and it is in disrepair. Makes the drive out to god knows where sometimes worth it.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 PM

3,566 posts, read 5,961,928 times
Youre looking at old raggity homes because the average LI'er doesnt have $40k+ to update that kitchen or $10k to upgrade the bathroom or even the money to pay a contractor to come in and fix holes in the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island