Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:26 PM

13 posts, read 63,691 times

Advertisements

Considering a job offer in the USA based in NY with salary of 120k. Would a family of 3 be able to live comfortably in Long Island for this? ( public transport commute/rent/ medical insurance etc)? have no idea if this is a good salary in the US! Do not intend to live extravagantly or send child to private school, but would be looking to rent a house with a garden in a nice area less than 1 hour commute from NYC, and be able to go out to the cinema etc once in a while! Any help much appreciated...
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 03:32 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satkin View Post
Considering a job offer in the USA based in NY with salary of 120k. Would a family of 3 be able to live comfortably in Long Island for this? ( public transport commute/rent/ medical insurance etc)? have no idea if this is a good salary in the US! Do not intend to live extravagantly or send child to private school, but would be looking to rent a house with a garden in a nice area less than 1 hour commute from NYC, and be able to go out to the cinema etc once in a while! Any help much appreciated...
Thanks
If you plan on renting, you will probably be ok. Buying at that salary, unless you're coming with a big chunk of cash in hand, will be difficult. This is a great salary in the US, but only a decent salary on Long Island or Jersey. Don't forget to consider New Jersey, Connecticut, and Upstate NY. You'll get a little more for your money there, in all honesty.

I'm assuming that your job offer will include at least partially subsidized medical insurance..if not you are talking thousands right off the top of your salary.

Also, where you will be working makes that 1 hour commute different from all areas. Mass Transit on LI takes you to Penn Station. Depending on where you work it can take 30 minutes to get where you need to in Manhattan. There's a LOT for you to look into.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:03 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,830 times
I currently live on LI and I average a little under that, and I have a daughter who is in private school. It depends on how well you are able to budget, with rent I am able to afford a two bedroom duplex that is comfortable in sqft and still take my family out ever now and than. I am not at all wealthly but I am comfortable, I can pay my bills afford private school, and save cash at the same time. However, I do live in Suffolk county my husband works in NYC and he takes the train back and forth it is a little over the 1 hr mark but not terrible too much, so I would say yes if you are the type that knows how to stay in your lane and budget you could live here and be comfortable , and the best part about it is you can make 120k here as well.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
A lot of people are going to tell you that isn't enough, but you should just ignore it - because I guarantee you at least 75% of the people who respond to this thread (and post here daily) make less than that.....and somehow we all manage to live comfortably, more or less. That is a GREAT salary in the US and still above average for LI.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:20 PM

thanks for all the replies so far - very encouraging! I'm sure I'll be posting again with questions about where to live etc!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:07 PM

110 posts, read 456,436 times
You would be ok with 120K.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
To the OP there are sooo many variables in your question...Do you have to pay your medical out of your own pocket? Do you want to rent or buy? Do you have 20% to put down? etc.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
I make much less than that, I am doing just fine. The caveat is that I have been here for a while. When you just land, you may not have that much savings (unless if you are bringing in $$$), and its the best to rent for a while as you have planned to get acclimated with the neighborhoods.
I can assure you that in 2-3 years you will have something going on for you.
Don't worry, and Welcome to the US of A.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:01 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satkin View Post
Thanks
It's a good salary and since you're renting: Yes you could!!

Depending on where you're coming from, you might actually find the cost of living less expensive here in the US. I well remember my arrival here from Europe--lots of things were much more affordable here than over there...

Old 05-12-2010, 12:59 AM

we are living in switzerland at the moment which is ridiculously expensive. As to the question from the poster about too many variables, I can tell you that we would plan on renting for quite a while, and probably not buying.. Not sure about health insurance yet, but would possibly have to pay for one adult and one child - the rest likely coming from employer.

Would also welcome advice on good safe areas to live that are commutable to East New York station (LIRR to Jamaica and then change I think?) in about a maximum of 1 hour 15. Also need good public middle/high schools and a garden for dogs! Is that too much to ask - if not what would we be looking at in rental per month ? (would prefer a house to an apartment)

thanks so much for all your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island