Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times

Advertisements

sean can you do a Nassau version? And I'll understand it to be a list of most exciting to you rather than safest or best schools.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-13-2010 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 AM

8 posts, read 23,407 times
how is the town of Hauppauge? would any of you rec if i am going to rent and for first time renter on long island?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,624 times
sean your a ****ing retard.. are you serious? wheatley heights is a nice place to live? i didnt even read the next page of crap you wrote after that.. what a waste of time you are.. you must be black. Dix Hills is the worse? you cant even afford dix hills.. dont listen to this ***.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:05 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,342,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous99999 View Post
sean your a ****ing retard.. are you serious? wheatley heights is a nice place to live? i didnt even read the next page of crap you wrote after that.. what a waste of time you are.. you must be black. Dix Hills is the worse? you cant even afford dix hills.. dont listen to this ***.

Jeez, if you're gonna argue, why sign up as a sock puppet?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
Whats wrong with COmmack?
Home of the Motor Inn!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Home of the Motor Inn!

Fan of the Jungle room, eh?

Old 05-13-2010, 01:55 PM

8 posts, read 23,407 times
any one have any info on Hauppauge?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Hahahha are you serious? There are 10 different towns and hundreds of communities ("towns") within them in Suffolk. Are you looking for a home or a place to open a business or something? I can't see how someone would simultaneously be considering living in Melville and Montauk....

Are you playing some weird version of Fantasy Baseball that uses Long Island school test scores, crime reports and % of white people as statistics and need help with your draft?

I'll give the Top 5 I think are dope in each, and then the one I think is the absolute worst.....I'm not gonna go look up every single place in Suffolk, nor am I (or likely anyone) intimately familiar with every place in the entire county. Hope that helps at least somewhat...

West to East

Town of Babylon
#1: Babylon
#2: Lindenhurst
#3: Amityville
#4: Gilgo-Oak Beach-Captree
#5: West Babylon

Worst: Wyandanch

Notes: #5 could have gone to Deer Park, North Babylon or Wheatley Heights just as easily. I'm not crazy about any of those, although objectively speaking, WH is probably the "nicest" and has the best schools by a large margin. Gilgo-Oak Beach-Captree is politically one entity, but out of all of it's neighborhoods I'd really like to live in a ridiculous crumbling old mansion on Oak Island and take my yacht to work every day....or better yet not work at all and get my jimmy whacked by my supermodel wife all day because I'm already a billionaire (hey, we're pretending right?) I didn't include North Lindenhurst because I thought it would be redundant, but if I did it would have been a solid, no contest #5. Also, lots of people think Amityville is awful because of North Amityville and the terrible school district, but the village is super nice and even has a decent little downtown. I don't have kids yet, so I don't care about the schools right now.

Town of Huntington
#1: Huntington
#2: Northport
#3: Cold Spring Harbor
#4: Greenlawn
#5: Asharoken

Worst: Dix Hills

Notes: Nothing wrong with Dix Hills, I just don't like it. I don't like any areas like that.....I think they're bland, soulless parodies of negative Long Island stereotypes. Commack could just as easily have taken that slot.....and I'm one of those people who says Huntington Station isn't so bad - I mean part of it actually is really bad, but there are other parts that are excellent and don't deserve the negative rep. In all honesty I'd still rather live in the worst part of HS than DH any day. Also, after the last storm maybe I shouldn't have stuck Asharoken at #5 with it's collapsing seawall and perilous, one-step-away-from-natural-disaster-destruction, but it's absolutely stunning up there. Huntington gets the #1 pick largely because of the Huntington Village neighborhood, though I also love the homes along the harbor up past Halesite. Maybe that should have been #5....

Town of Islip
#1: Sayville
#2: Bay Shore
#3: Brightwaters
#4: Oakdale
#5: Islip

Worst: Brentwood

Notes: Sorry B-wood, you beat out CI for the worst spot in the "TOI" thanks to a large number of gang related shootings over the last few years.....although the EPMD vs. Keith Murray aspect made it a tough call. I also had a tough decision between Sayville and Bay Shore for the top pick - and even a few short years ago it would have been a no brainer. Bay Shore has come a long, LONG way. I wanted to put Fire Island on this list for novelty purposes, but I've never been there, believe it or not, and I didn't want to sacrifice Oakdale or Islip (legitimately great places) for the unknown.

Town of Smithtown
#1: Kings Park
#2: Smithtown
#3: St. James
#4: Nissequogue
#5: Fort Salonga

Worst: Commack

Notes: Ohhhh snap.....just when you thought Commack was spared "worst" status from the Huntington list, it gets SLAMMED after all. Is that any big shocker? The "logical" worst choice for Smithtown is Lake Ronkonkoma, but I'm not mad at LR at all. In fact, I like it better than Nesconset too.....so put that in your Heroin syringe and inject it. Nissequogue, which - by the way - is impossibly hard to remember how to spell and Fort Salonga are kind of nonsense picks. They're obviously both incredibly nice and expensive, but I know little-to-nothing about either and have only been through once or twice for each. There are only like 7 total places in Smithtown, give me a break.

Town of Brookhaven
#1: Rocky Point
#2: Rocky Point
#3: Rocky Point
#4: Rocky Point
#5: Rocky Point

Worst: Also, paradoxically, Rocky Point. This is because Rocky Point is metaphorically the ONLY place to live on Long Island. To even acknowledge that there are other choices in the Town of Brookhaven is complete blasphemy.

Notes: Needs no explanation, though if Rocky Point were somehow nuked by terrorists (and I hear it's a prime target. They hate RP's freedom), I suppose my list would go something like Port Jefferson, Patchogue, Setauket-East Setauket, Stony Brook and Blue Point. Blue Point beats out Bellport village solely because of the beer. I'm having a really hard time coming up with an "alternate worst"....is it Mastic Beach? Is it North Bellport? Coram? Shirley? Medford? MIDDLE ISLAND!??!? I'm gonna say all of them, and probably some others I'm forgetting, since this isn't an "official" list. Listen, it's no shocker that Brookhaven has so much crap in it....Rocky Point is hogging all the awesomeness for itself.

Town of Riverhead
#1: Riverhead
#2: Jamesport
#3: Aquebogue
#4: Wading River
#5: Northvile

Worst: Riverhead

Notes: U SEE WHAT I DID THERE?! U THOUGHT IT WUZ GONNA BE CALVERTON BUT I MADE TEH "WORST" THE SAME AS THE #1!!! EDGY!! DRAMATIC!! I BET U FEEL JUST LIKE U DID WHEN U FOUND OUT BRUCE WILLIS WUZ DED AT THE END OF SIXTH SENSE!!! Actually, I think the bad part of "Riverhead" most people think of is south of the river and thus not actually in the "TOR". Still, there are some crummy areas north of it to, and some excellent ones. This is where the forks split and I love the North Fork....pretty much all of it. "Northville" is a total nonsense pick. I think it has a Jamesport ZIP....up by the sound. Definitely a nice area, though. Things get kinda thin from here on out....

Town of Southampton
#1: Sag Harbor
#2: Southampton
#3: Westhampton Beach
#4: Quogue
#5: North Haven

Worst: Riverside

Notes: Out of places I've actually been on LI, this is the one I'm probably least familiar with. Sag Harbor is absolutely lovely and Riverside is the "bad part of Riverhead" I mentioned previously. North Haven is in the middle of Peconic Bay and I like the way Quogue sounds (side note: I hate the way Quioque sounds). I wanted to add Flanders cuz of "The Big Duck", and also cuz my great grandaddy was from the Flanders in Belgium, but aside from it's large fowl I know nothing about it.

Town of Southold
#1: Greenport
#2: Laurel
#3: Orient
#4: Peconic
#5: Mattituck

Worst: None

Notes: Aside from Greenport definitively being the best, this list is totally arbitrary. Any other place in Southold could easily be swapped on, they're all great.....and for that matter kind of interchangeable. Farm, old house, vineyard, tractor, old truck, trees, water....you get the idea.

Town of Shelter Island
#1: Shelter Island Heights
#2: Shelter Island
#3: Dering Harbor
#4: N/A
#5: N/A

Worst: N/A

Notes: Yes, there is a "Town of Shelter Island" - how many people knew that? I only know it from reading....I've never actually been here. Maybe this summer? It looks great.

Town of East Hampton
#1: Montauk
#2: Sag Harbor
#3: Napeague
#4: East Hampton
#5: Springs

Worst: Wherever the highest concentration of "summering" NYC and Hollywood a-holes is concentrated.

Notes: Yeah so here's another place I don't know dick about. I used to go on family vacations in Montauk.....I love Montauk, that's for sure....but the rest? No clue. And yeah it's a total copout that I added Sag Harbor here too on a technicality LOL. Holla at me P-Diddy!
As a Smithtown snob I would like to point out that Lake Ronkonkoma is only PARTIALLY (and a really small part I might add) in the Town of Smithtown. Kind of like your divorced dad's new girlfriend's step kid. They really do not have any connection to us except at twice a year awkward family gathering (e.g. town votes).

As an aside, what would the #6 place in Town of Brookhaven be...just curious...

Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Fan of the Jungle room, eh?
There's a jungle room, Tarzan?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There's a jungle room, Tarzan?

Sure...act like you don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island