Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 18,414 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have searched through the posts and found variations of this topic a few times but I couldn't find what I was looking for. If everything following sounds familiar I apologize and I must have missed the thread.

I am a young adult(under 30) that lives in Huntington and works in NYC. As my name suggests I have lived in Huntington for my entire life except for college. Currently I live in an apartment right in the village that I purchased a little over a year ago. My girlfriend recently moved in with me and we have thought about moving to a house in 12-18 months.

We would be able to buy a house up to 500K. Huntington is basically the furthest East I would go as I want to keep my commute to 1 hour and under. NJ, PA, and upper NY are not options for us as both of our families live on Long Island and staying close to them is very important to us. We really like the feel of Huntington and would look for something similar in any other area we moved.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 11:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
^^^
Specifically, what advice are you seeking?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:13 PM

I am looking for advice on what towns you would recommend using the background information I provided.

We would like a 2-3 bedroom, 2 bath house with some property. The prices in Huntington(not the area by the train station) tend to be at the upper limit of our price range, especially since we want to live close to the village, so we are starting to look at other towns to see what else is out there.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:56 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,860 times
My advice as a lawyer is to NEVER purchase any property with your "girlfriend". Either take the next step and get married, or keep property separate. You'll thank me later.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:09 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
My advice as a lawyer is to NEVER purchase any property with your "girlfriend". Either take the next step and get married, or keep property separate. You'll thank me later.
I'd rep you, but I'm all out.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:15 PM

Sorry, should have mentioned that I am getting engaged very soon and would be married by the time we actually bought a house.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 PM

465 posts, read 1,710,334 times
It would probably be more difficult to find something less expensive in areas closer to NYC with the feel of Huntington. Do you want to stay on North Shore or you are open to all areas of LI?

I think you can do well with your budget within Huntington itself.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:54 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,852 times
Just been through this. The more west you go... the higher the prices. Have you looked in the western harbor area of Huntington? Near Harbor Heights, Glen na Little etc? There are some decent buys up there.

Maybe babylon village if you'd consider the south shore? I liked Sea Cliff and Glenn Head too, but you'll get more for the money in Huntington. Plus, the commute is actually almost the same by LIRR.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
The college section of Greenlawn is nice as well....and not all that far from the Huntington train station (it's the area in the southeast quadrant formed by Pulaski and Park).

Old 05-13-2010, 06:58 PM

93 posts, read 242,803 times
I think that is do-able. You just have to on top of the property search.

You might want to consider Northport/East Northport, also lower taxes. Can still take the train from Huntington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island