Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 03:55 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyorker94 View Post
You have found my one grammar mistake, congratulations!

If you gave a reasonable argument I would happily debate with you, but you're all caught up in your pre-formed opinions. Then, when I do make a valid point, and give you ammunition, so to speak, you pick at my grammar.
If you want me to proofread all your posts, perhaps I could find more for you!

I did give a reasonable argument. You just can't refute it and that's why you left it out of my quote in your post.

When high wages and benefits are not EARNED, but rather are demanded by a powerful union and expected as if they are RIGHTS by the employees, that does not do anything for job performance, because the employee does not need to do an excellent job to keep getting raises, stay employed, etc.

Surely you have heard of public school teachers who stink at their jobs but cannot be blasted out of the school system because they have seniority and their unions demand that they stay.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:10 PM

71 posts, read 213,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you want me to proofread all your posts, perhaps I could find more for you!

I did give a reasonable argument. You just can't refute it and that's why you left it out of my quote in your post.

When high wages and benefits are not EARNED, but rather are demanded by a powerful union and expected as if they are RIGHTS by the employees, that does not do anything for job performance, because the employee does not need to do an excellent job to keep getting raises, stay employed, etc.

Surely you have heard of public school teachers who stink at their jobs but cannot be blasted out of the school system because they have seniority and their unions demand that they stay.
Teachers have a three year trial period, if they cannot prove themselves, they do not become tenured, and are let go. So, if there is bad performance, they won't be staying.

Higher wages are earned by taking more master courses. When teachers earn a second masters or more credits, their salary increases, after hours of extra work. Fair, don't you agree?

So they do earn it, and it is fair.

You have been refuted. Happy?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Teachers have a three year trial period, if they cannot prove themselves, they do not become tenured, and are let go. So, if there is bad performance, they won't be staying.

Higher wages are earned by taking more master courses. When teachers earn a second masters or more credits, their salary increases, after hours of extra work. Fair, don't you agree?

So they do earn it, and it is fair.

You have been refuted. Happy?
Around here, they have to finish the masters degree in education within 5 years of becoming employed.

Additional masters degrees do not necessarily mean higher pay. However, PhDs do, for some teaching staff (who probably go beyond being a teacher at that point).

They are not "taking masters degree courses" for their entire career in order to earn raises.

There are continuing education requirements, but raises do not come from meeting these requirements. Continued employability comes from meeting the minimum continuing ed requirements.

Look up these concepts:

Step Raises

vs.

Merit Raises

Raises are mandated by the unions when it comes to public school teachers.

Are you finding learning something interesting?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 PM

71 posts, read 213,749 times
Quote:
Around here, they have to finish the masters degree in education within 5 years of becoming employed.

Additional masters degrees do not necessarily mean higher pay. However, PhDs do, for some teaching staff (who probably go beyond being a teacher at that point).

They are not "taking masters degree courses" for their entire career in order to earn raises.

There are continuing education requirements, but raises do not come from meeting these requirements. Continued employability comes from meeting the minimum continuing ed requirements.

Look up these concepts:

Step Raises

vs.

Merit Raises

Raises are mandated by the unions when it comes to public school teachers.

Are you finding learning something interesting?
Raises are mandated by contracts. You can have a teachers' union without contracts as not all district teachers have contracts. I know my town didn't for many years. It depends on the school board and budget vote.

I cannot imagine our districts are so different but in mine, you need all "requirements" to become a full time classroom teacher. Without your masters you can become a specialty type teacher, which is in fact less pay, then once you get your masters, if you do not get tenured within three years, you are cut.

But with out that, you can become a T.A., nothing more.

Once you have a masters, and are tenured, you can take graduate courses to get more credits and eventually a second masters, then after which a PHD, if you choose. Each of these steps include a pay raise, as they should, being they entail more work.

Now, you're the one trying to come up with insults. But, it seems you're finding your information from google (correct me if I'm wrong.) I personally have a lot of insight into the world of Long Island teachers. Your insults, or attempt of, are quite laughable as they come from someone who clearly doesn't know the first step about becoming a teacher passed what you read online.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Raises are mandated by contracts. You can have a teachers' union without contracts as not all district teachers have contracts. I know my town didn't for many years. It depends on the school board and budget vote.

I cannot imagine our districts are so different but in mine, you need all "requirements" to become a full time classroom teacher. Without your masters you can become a specialty type teacher, which is in fact less pay, then once you get your masters, if you do not get tenured within three years, you are cut.

But with out that, you can become a T.A., nothing more.

Once you have a masters, and are tenured, you can take graduate courses to get more credits and eventually a second masters, then after which a PHD, if you choose. Each of these steps include a pay raise, as they should, being they entail more work.

Now, you're the one trying to come up with insults. But, it seems you're finding your information from google (correct me if I'm wrong.) I personally have a lot of insight into the world of Long Island teachers. Your insults, or attempt of, are quite laughable as they come from someone who clearly doesn't know the first step about becoming a teacher passed what you read online.
Working without a contract is the fault of the Taylor Law, which has turned out to be a mistake.

Where did I "insult" you? If I wanted to, I would. Ask anyone. I am handling you with kid gloves.

There is no need to be so hostile. But insecurity causes hostility sometimes ...

No I do not get my information on "google." The facts, figures, and contracts are all available to the public.

Correction: "past" would be the best word to use in the context of that awkward sentence, not "passed."

Goodness gracious, I hope I am not corrected the writing of a "teacher" on here. Wouldn't that be "quite laughable?" (Sadly, it wouldn't be the first time. Maybe you're an old "friend" under a new name?)

Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM

^^^
Thank you to the non-member who just threw me a rep point for the above post!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:21 PM

852 posts, read 2,016,890 times
Default That's a false dichotomy.

Quote:
Darlin, the rich run this country and we are not about to get over on them unless we do another full scale French Revolution complete with executions.

The purer the capitalism, the richer the rich.

We are a corpocracy, not a democracy.

Sorry.
Capitalism doesn't have to be "pure." There's no such thing, anyway. Adam Smith argued that capitalism fails if it doesn't function to improve the community.

The rich ran the country during the turn of the 20th century, but it didn't stop sit-ins, lock-ins and other various acts of civil disobedience that led to the widespread growth of manufacturing unions. Those consequently facilitated the growth of the middle class following World War II.

I don't advocate cutting off heads. France cut off the King's head (and his family). We can elect people who won't put holds on substantive legislation intended to reign in Wall Street, weaken our markets, gut the dollar and skew the tax burden.

Rise up!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:23 PM

852 posts, read 2,016,890 times
Default Awesome!

Quote:
^^^
Thank you to the non-member who just threw me a rep point for the above post!
Way to seize on a typo and make like you are somehow better than the rabble.

Bad argument might not help that person's argument, but arrogant bloviating won't get you too far either.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:27 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Teachers and other "educators" generally get Ed.D.'s, not Ph.D.'s.

Ed.D.'s are dumbed-down Ph.D.'s

Old 05-18-2010, 05:47 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Way to seize on a typo and make like you are somehow better than the rabble.

Bad argument might not help that person's argument, but arrogant bloviating won't get you too far either.

I might be a ninnyhammer but some people don't know their being hornswoggle.

With that said did anyone vote down the budget today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island