U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 PM

89 posts, read 211,291 times
Congrats on staying for the awards ceremony. My students love when they see teachers at after school events. I try to make as many as I can... I know you're beat, but know it was worth it...

Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 PM

94 posts, read 222,926 times
I have read many of the posts on here regarding teachers and budgets. I have kept quiet because I am a teacher in a public school on LI and can be found on that list.

I am not here to agree or disagree with anyone, just want to give my thoughts.

I went through that list, and definitely felt some agitation when going through names of people and seeing the salaries they made and knowing that they do not work very hard for that money. But I say that because I don't generalize and put teachers as one category to go after. When you work in a district, you see first hand who really is dedicated and who is not.

As for the "amount" of time teachers work, it really is an individual basis. Do our contracts say "7:50-3:00"?...possibly, depending on where you work. And as for the days, yes we do get a nice set of time off. But personal days, sick time, etc....are not used every year. I have taken personal days for weddings, interviews, and graduations, and not once in my career have I used a sick day. I do work many more hours at home and outside of the classroom, even though I know some may not believe it.

Don't get me wrong, especially in today's economy, there is no doubt that we look to taxes and see the $$ we are paying for schools and get frustrated. You have every right to.

But please just think about individuals and don't put everyone in the same category when you feel that all of us "teachers" make so much and do so little, because we all deserve respect as human beings and members of society.

Like I said, this is just my thoughts, not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone

Old 05-20-2010, 09:02 PM

875 posts, read 1,732,111 times
What an eye opener this pay schedule has been for me personally. Too bad I didn't hit the gravy train getting hired as a teacher while I had the chance to rip off all of the taxpayers out there.

I have two people I know personally in the Comsewogue SD, the J's - both are teachers. Charlotte is the HS choral teacher and is making in excess of $120K/year!!!!!!!!!!! (and yes, I could do a better job than she - I've seen her in action, I have a choral teaching degree as well as huge experience in choral conducting, to the tune of my college firing the choral professor because I was better than he), and her husband Paul who has been teaching kindergarten roughly no more than 8 years - Charlotte got him his job when he was in his late 40's and he's making $90k+/year. Together they make in excess of $210K/year. They are definitely not worth the money. No way. And Charlotte has no extra work outside of the classroom - it's all music - no tests, etc. All the kids have to do is show up and she sings and flaps her arms around.

They are not worth any where near what they are being paid. Period. It's infuriating. And they get 14 weeks off per year. Outrageous. No wonder they can afford fancy vacations, great cars and babysitters for their kid.

Another acquaintance - AR of Sachem SD - a fairly new elementary music teacher at Cayuga school who complains she's not getting enough $. Amy has been teaching 5 years and makes $80K/year plus all her benefits. The way she talks you'd think she was just above the poverty line - I thought she was making somewhere in the neighborhood of $40K/year.

I had no idea teachers are being paid these extremely high salaries - none of them are worth it. And don't forget about their healthcare packages too.

I voted no on the budget in our area.

Something has to be done. The teachers are the true wealthy on LI with their guaranteed salaries plus increases, guaranteed healthcare and pensions. None of them deserve their guaranteed pension free ride when they retire. And their payscale is way out of whack. All due to the teachers union in NY State.

The reality is they're worth roughly half of what they make. That would be much more in line with the amount of work they put in.

Something has to give. I hope it's soon.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:18 PM

213 posts, read 415,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiceChianti View Post
Administrators work past last bell? Awww... poor things.

How about grading papers until 1 in the morning on a regular basis?

How long does it take to grade 25 papers?
How about prepping lab solutions and materials, then dealing with administrivia every second you have free during the day, maybe wolfing down lunch in about ten minutes?

Don't you have a prep period for that?
How about staying late and giving up even that lunch time to review for tests with kids?

Don't you get a stipend for AIS? Does your union leadership know about your "freebies"?
How about preparing lesson plans on your weekends, and MAYBE trying to get ahead on them during vacations?

Again prep period. How much non insructional time is in your 6 hour day?
How about spending thousands of your own dollars a year on school and laboratory supplies?

I have to doubt thousands but you neer know.
How about being made to sit through the same mind-numbing meetings over and over again, when you really could be doing something PRODUCTIVE for your students?

Don't you value shared information and decision making?
How about coming home physically exhausted every night after trying to provide your students with an education, but being forced to take on the extra tasks of cop, nursemaid, arbitrator, psychologist, and child welfare advocate?

Most LI schools have nurses, social workers and psycholigists and all but the nurses are paid well.
How about doing all this, and more, at a starting salary of 50K or less?

Show me a LI district teacher starting salary under 50K.

How about coming home from an awards ceremony, on your own time, as moral support for the good students who actually try hard, about a half hour ago, then sitting down at your computer and having to read THIS B.S.?

How often do you do that out of the 180 days a year you work?

GOOD teachers earn every cent they make.
I'm sorry if I sound sarcastic. It is not intentional. I am stating facts as I know them.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,084,507 times
KStarfish has it right: This teacher bashing is downright disrespectful of these people as human beings!

Broad generalizations like many are making are plain wrong.
Some teachers are worth every penny, some are not worth even a single penny. And many fall somewhere in-between.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 PM

3,939 posts, read 4,035,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
http://www.lischooltax.com/08-9TS.pdf

For all the idiots that voted yes!
And how much do you think teachers should make?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:38 PM

53 posts, read 43,060 times
1) I'm grading 85-115 papers for each assignment, depending on the sizes of my classes that year.

2) According to the posters on this thread, prep periods don't count as "work." And they aren't sufficient time to plan and prep for effective lessons that require a lot of materials.

3) No stipened for AIS unless it is an official AIS class (only around state test times). Most teachers give out these "freebies" on a regular basis. It is expected by parents and administrators. And believe it or not, we actually care about our students and want to see them succeed.

4) Yes, thousands... I can't give you numbers from receipts, because I don't keep them, as there's no chance of reimbursement. We get $75 a year for our budgetted supplies from the district.

5) Shared information and decision making is great, if our ideas are ever listened to and put into play by the powers that be. Hit or miss, at best.

6) These are still a part of the daily routines of the teachers. One social worker for 1,500 kids, with 40-50% of them at or below the poverty level? Does that sound sufficient to you?

7) I started at $42K, and that was only in 2004.

8) This time of year, I have several of these events. That doesn't count the open houses and parent conferences that periodically keep me in the building until past 8 pm. Then I get to come back in and start all over again at 7am the next morning. I'm not complaining about the awards ceremony, that was great. I have an issue with coming home from it and reading that I am some kind of useless leech.

I'm sorry if I sound sarcastic, but your "facts" don't seem to be based in fact at all.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:52 PM

94 posts, read 222,926 times
I thought this may be fitting....but I'll probably get some rolling of the eyes for this...

***WHAT DO TEACHERS MAKE?***

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.

One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Barbara. Be honest. What do you make?"

Barbara, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make? (She paused for a second, then began...)

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor winner.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental.

You want to know what I make? (She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table)

I make kids wonder.

I make them question.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.

I teach them to write and then I make them write. Keyboarding isn't everything.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math. They use their God given brain, not the man-made calculator.

I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know about English while preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.

I make my students stand, placing their hand over their heart to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, One Nation Under God, because we live in the United States of America.

Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life ( Barbara paused one last time and then continued.)

Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, with me knowing money isn't everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant.

You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

What do you make Mr. CEO?

His jaw dropped, he went silent.

THIS IS WORTH SENDING TO EVERY TEACHER, EVERY CEO, EVERY PERSON YOU KNOW.

Even all your personal teachers like mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters,
coaches and your spiritual leaders/teachers.

A profound answer!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 PM

274 posts, read 275,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
And how much do you think teachers should make?
I would love to see supply and demand determine that, similar to other professions. I think the result may be quite shocking considering supply overwhelmingly outnumbers the demand.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:03 PM

53 posts, read 43,060 times
Here you go, KStarfish. A little more raw than what you posted, but it made me feel better about being blasted by malcontents.

YouTube - Taylor Mali on what teachers make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island