Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 10:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
And at the same time they need to make sure that the Supermarket rolls back prices to what they were 10 years ago, the gas stations roll back prices to what they were 10 years ago, the Gas & electric Co to roll back prices to what they were 10 years ago, the LL's to roll back rents to where they were 10 years ago, the colleges to roll back tuition to what it was 10 years ago, the car companies to roll back prices to what they were 10 years ago, the doctors & dentists to roll back their fees to what they were 10 years ago, the Day Care centers to roll back their charges to what they were 10 years ago, and so on & so forth.
Certainly not.

The whole point is to reduce the unconsciously high salaries and, especially, benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
You weren't really serious in that reply, were you?
Very.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:19 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Certainly not.

The whole point is to reduce the unconsciously high salaries and, especially, benefits.

Very.
Pretty much. Just had the arguement with my SIL. 39% of Sachem is making over 90K salary.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:45 AM

815 posts, read 2,051,606 times
Why can't a school district just get rid of all of them?

Getting back to the OP question, Southampton School District just "got rid of" their HS Principal and Assistant Principal. They suspended them indefinitely, with pay. Now they have to pay the suspended staff and their replacements. See how the BofE cares about your tax dollars. They did not give a reason for the suspension, but it occured the day after they went on an interview at a neighboring district.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:51 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStarfish82 View Post
OK, I have read all sorts of opinions, so very harsh and other just stating their thoughts.

I ask this, without argument or conflict:

What would you like us "horrible, overpaid" teacher to do? Should I leave my position because some people think I make to much? Should I neglect my family and say "sorry, can't do ........" because some people say that I make too much?

So I am asking honestly, what would you like me, as just a teacher, to do to make the situation better?

Frozen salary....check
Loss of money because of cut programs and positions....check

I have done these already, what else do you want me to do to make our "easy, part-time" jobs more pleasing to the public? And I am ONLY a teacher, not an administrator, member of the board, etc...I cannot change the budget and make those important decisions!

Please don't take this as sarcastic, I'm not trying to be, only laying out some facts and genuine questions. And please don't respond nastily, I really do want to know what your thoughts are without the bashing we are accustomed to.
Most of the bashers out there fall into three categories :
1. Parents who think because they gave birth and kept their children alive believe they can be a teacher and do a better job than someone who is a professional educator simply because they are parents.
2. Private sector pirates who have cut the throat of as many co workers as possible to get "theirs"and now want yours as well.
3. Private sector big shots who have cut their employee's pay and benefits to the bone while lining their own pockets with the savings. Again, they have "theirs", now they want yours too.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
1. Parents who think because they gave birth and kept their children alive believe they can be a teacher and do a better job than someone who is a professional educator simply because they are parents.
Parents who home-school their children can and do a better job than the so-called professional educators.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Parents who home-school their children can and do a better job than the so-called professional educators.
You obviously fall into category # 1.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:21 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,606 times
Parents who home-school their children can and do a better job than the so-called professional educators

But you offer no proof of this. Now before you go ballistic on me, Walter, I am sure you can quote some reference somewhere where they say this is true, but I would be suspect of the validity of that evidence. I am certain you can find a parent who home-schooled their children and the children are smarter than average, but can all parents do this? I am very skeptical of that supposition.

BTW, you mentioned rolling back all teacher's salaries to the point where they were ten years ago. While it is nice to dream about living in the past, my opinion (and you probably disagree) is that this statement is proof that you are bat@%&t crazy.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 PM

Walter's children are probably very good with geography and maps.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:30 PM

280 posts, read 247,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Most of the bashers out there fall into three categories :
2. Private sector pirates who have cut the throat of as many co workers as possible to get "theirs"and now want yours as well.
3. Private sector big shots who have cut their employee's pay and benefits to the bone while lining their own pockets with the savings. Again, they have "theirs", now they want yours too.
Wrong. I'd say most of the so called "teacher bashers" are those in the private sector scraping by to live on Long Island and have seen:

1) their taxes triple over the last 12 years

2) their medical contributions increase to the point where they are paying most of their premium, and the only benefit the employer provides is a group rate discount

3) Their salaries stagnant for most of the last 10 years

4) A pay cut the last 3 years... that's IF they haven't already lost their jobs

5) The constant fear of losing their jobs

6) Their retirement accounts dwindle while their tax dollars go to funding the ever increasing pensions of the teachers and police

7) Teachers and police salaries increasing at a greater rate than private sector salaries

8) Teachers and police getting retiree healthcare, despite it's virtual eradication from the private sector

Complaining about taxes and the main drivers of the high taxes (teacher and police compensation) is not something done by "bashers". It's done by responsible Liers who realize the current situation mirrors what's going on in Greece and cannot be sustained.

And before some teacher chimes in about their salary freeze, keep in mind more budgets on LI failed than the number of districts where teachers accepted a freeze. LI teachers have greatly benefitted from the situation (I don't blame them) but any teacher to say pay freezes or cuts hurts the children is at best disingenuous and at worst, stupidity.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:33 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:

Thank you for chiming in, Mayor Frank Rizzo.

"We need excellence in public education and if the teachers can't do it, we'll send in a couple of policemen."
Frank Rizzo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island