Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
This is something I have been challenging the steadfast supporters of keeping the status quo for school district compensation, benefits and pensions with and is something that most of them will only dance around and not answer. Ostriches.
Thats the problem with just about every reply in support of the current status quo. There is no sustantive arguement, only ones based on emotions.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:52 PM

203 posts, read 602,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Parents who home-school their children can and do a better job than the so-called professional educators.
Actually, most of the home-schooled students I've had as freshmen college students are much better prepared for college than the publik skool educated kids.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:54 PM

203 posts, read 602,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I'm forced to conclude that this entire anti-union argument, and the degree to which it is sustained, is just teabagger ranting.

I've made some good arguments here about GDP rising, overall wealth increasing, working class incomes DECLINING, and the foolishness of blaming teachers for being well-paid. No one rebuts it. It gets ignored - crowded out in a crossfire of hyperbole and feigned concern for working class folks.

These anti-union folks are shills for millionaires.
Your argument is undermined by the leftist whining that millionaires are the ones advocating for keeping the status quo so they can exploit the masses.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
1) Why would inflation be linked to teacher salaries. Shouldn't it be linked to community wealth? Overall community wealth is increasing (if you use averages - Republicans would rather you use medians or modes).

2) You ARE shilling for millionaires. If you argue to reduce local expenditures when millionaires are earning more, then you are doing their busy work. You are making villains of teachers and unions, two institutions that help work the working-class UP.

3) If you want your taxes to stop rising, then tax the people with the money.

4) If you respond by saying, "But the millionaires will leave and I won't be paid to cut their lawn anymore!" then let them leave New York for Georgia where taxes are lower. They won't leave. YOu know why? Because the schools are wretched!

Very smart!
I don't agree with anything you're saying, but it sure looks absolutely fabulous on a computer screen - now tell me how this would actually happen in the real world, on Long Island?

Like, if billionaire X buys a house for $10 million in Cove Neck, but he's got several billion dollars in offshore bank accounts, stocks, out-of-town real estate, etc....instead of taxing him on the $10 million property value in his school district (Oyster Bay), which is how property taxes work, we should somehow find a way to tax his entire net worth applied to school district taxes across Nassau County or Long Island or whatever? Cuz you know there aren't any billionaires living in Uniondale or even Levittown for that matter....are those districts just SOL when it comes to this radical, utopian system or do they get a piece of the pie too?

I know I must be a teabagger and Bill O'Rielly fan doing the bidding of the wealthy here, but that honestly just sounds like a huge pile of nonsense.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:50 AM

66 posts, read 230,104 times
Holy hell I cant read all 30 pages of this crap. Some idiot said "but the teachers are being paid with other peoples money!"
Well now, that is a horse of another color! So teachers get paid by other peoples money, but your plumber gets paid, with his own money???? Everyone gets paid with someone elses money! Its how the damn economy works!
And dont say, they are bullying me into it because it is in the form of taxes "I must pay". You dont have to pay a damn thing, get up and move. Head on down to Alabama, so you can pay $2,000 a year in taxes. But wait, then you can spend another $8,000-$15,000 a year on a private school... aaaaaannnnnndddd your right back where you started! But at least then you can start a thread on the Alabama sub-forum trying to get the cost of private schools lowered.

And I laugh at the idiot who said "long island schools are probably so good because of the high level of parental involvement"... are you serious, look around, for the most part parental involvement is on the decline. Yelling at a teacher, just to feel high-and-mighty does not qualify as "being involved".

Face it. LI, as a whole, has the best public schools in the country... why? because, among other reasons, we have some of the best teachers in the country.

YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY LI TEACHERS SALARY! It is not forced upon you... if you dont like it, LEAVE! Take yourself somewhere else, where your taxes will be 1/2 as much, and your education will be 1/2 good. Or better yet, go somewhere the taxes are 80% less, and then you can spend more money on a decent private education.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:05 AM

280 posts, read 247,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Holy hell I cant read all 30 pages of this crap. Some idiot said "but the teachers are being paid with other peoples money!"
Well now, that is a horse of another color! So teachers get paid by other peoples money, but your plumber gets paid, with his own money???? Everyone gets paid with someone elses money! Its how the damn economy works!
And dont say, they are bullying me into it because it is in the form of taxes "I must pay". You dont have to pay a damn thing, get up and move. Head on down to Alabama, so you can pay $2,000 a year in taxes. But wait, then you can spend another $8,000-$15,000 a year on a private school... aaaaaannnnnndddd your right back where you started! But at least then you can start a thread on the Alabama sub-forum trying to get the cost of private schools lowered.

And I laugh at the idiot who said "long island schools are probably so good because of the high level of parental involvement"... are you serious, look around, for the most part parental involvement is on the decline. Yelling at a teacher, just to feel high-and-mighty does not qualify as "being involved".

Face it. LI, as a whole, has the best public schools in the country... why? because, among other reasons, we have some of the best teachers in the country.

YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY LI TEACHERS SALARY! It is not forced upon you... if you dont like it, LEAVE! Take yourself somewhere else, where your taxes will be 1/2 as much, and your education will be 1/2 good. Or better yet, go somewhere the taxes are 80% less, and then you can spend more money on a decent private education.
Wow, there is so much wrong with this post that I don't know where to begin!!

1) Teachers are paid with tax dollars, it is not comparable with a plumber being paid in the private sector. To suggest otherwise is ignorant at best and devious at worst.

2) So forcing people to move is your solution? "Don't like paying the exhorbitant taxes to support the exhorbitant taxes of the teachers, you can move!" Nice PR. Also, it doesn't quite work that way. That's why there are budgets, school board meetings, etc. We can work to change the system and some of the wheels are in motion. Your "pay your taxes and like it" attitude is exactly what people who want to change the system like to hear, keep it up.

3) LI schools are good due to the socio-ecomonic status of the LI residents. If LI teachers are so great, how come Wyandanch schools (and hempstead and all the other bad school districts) are so terrible??

4) Can you prove your statement that we have the best teachers in the country? Aside from your emotions that is...

Your argument is like a piece of swiss cheese... that was too easy to pick apart.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Wow, there is so much wrong with this post that I don't know where to begin!!

1) Teachers are paid with tax dollars, it is not comparable with a plumber being paid in the private sector. To suggest otherwise is ignorant at best and devious at worst.

2) So forcing people to move is your solution? "Don't like paying the exhorbitant taxes to support the exhorbitant taxes of the teachers, you can move!" Nice PR. Also, it doesn't quite work that way. That's why there are budgets, school board meetings, etc. We can work to change the system and some of the wheels are in motion. Your "pay your taxes and like it" attitude is exactly what people who want to change the system like to hear, keep it up.

3) LI schools are good due to the socio-ecomonic status of the LI residents. If LI teachers are so great, how come Wyandanch schools (and hempstead and all the other bad school districts) are so terrible??

4)

Your argument is like a piece of swiss cheese... that was too easy to pick apart.
1) I have read your responses on this subject but you never say how it is "different". So, how is it different?

2) I was being eccentric... just like the OP. But yea, vote, get involved with PTO, move... do something, because no one is forcing you to do anything! Yes, either move, or pay your taxes and like it! End of story. Get involved as much as you can, if things dont start to changed to your liking get out! Its easy.

3) LOL, you really need to go to other parts of the country. There are some pretty "well-off" areas in AL too, but for some weird reason none of them go to public schools.
What you dont understand: You know how you have a monthly starbucks bill... you just pay it, its just something you have grown accustom to and just have to have. Well $8,000-$15,000 per kid of private school tuition, is something most people have grown accustom to in other parts of the country. Most dont have to pay that on Long Island because we have great public schools.

4) I never said that.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:32 AM

280 posts, read 247,415 times
Quote:
1) I have read your responses on this subject but you never say how it is "different". So, how is it different?
If I have to explain this, then I think LI schools failed you.

Quote:
2) I was being eccentric... just like the OP. But yea, vote, get involved with PTO, move... do something, because no one is forcing you to do anything! Yes, either move, or pay your taxes and like it! End of story. Get involved as much as you can, if things dont start to changed to your liking get out! Its easy.
Yea, moving is "easy". The easy solution is to stop "giving away the store" to civil servants.

Quote:
3) LOL, you really need to go to other parts of the country. There are some pretty "well-off" areas in AL too, but for some weird reason none of them go to public schools.
What you dont understand: You know how you have a monthly starbucks bill... you just pay it, its just something you have grown accustom to and just have to have. Well $8,000-$15,000 per kid of private school tuition, is something most people have grown accustom to in other parts of the country. Most dont have to pay that on Long Island because we have great public schools.
Maybe they send their kids to private schools because they are more religious and value religion? Also you didn't answer my question - if LI schools as so good due to the teachers, what happened with Wyandanch, Brentwood, etc?

Quote:
4) I never said that.
Yes you did.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
If I have to explain this, then I think LI schools failed you.

Yea, moving is "easy". The easy solution is to stop "giving away the store" to civil servants.

Maybe they send their kids to private schools because they are more religious and value religion? Also you didn't answer my question - if LI schools as so good due to the teachers, what happened with Wyandanch, Brentwood, etc?

Yes you did.
Then please, help further educate me.

Never said moving is easy... that is why I gave you other "easier" options to try first.

Private does not equal religious. The funny thing, to you Brentwood is a bad school... to someone from other places around the country its not, and to someone looking to get an education its not either. You can still get a great education coming from Brentwood. I went to William Floyd, I now have a MS and a nice job and I just bought my own home... but, but, it cant be I went to Floyd! Bad student behavior does not equal bad educational resources.

I said some of the best. I also said that the good teachers werent the only reason LI schools are so good. If you think that the only reason LI schools are so good is because of the economic status of the area you are mistaken.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Very true.....a "bad" district on LI is still a much better school than many areas of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island