Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 08:22 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
No, we got our health from our school nurse or our doctor. We didn't have special ed. Remedial classes and extra help were availible in the school through the teachers.

From School Law: "At the request of a private school, a school district must provide to resident students attending a non-public school health and welfare services and facilities equivalent to those available to resident students attending the district's public schools. Such services must be provided in "essentially the same manner and to the same extent" they are offered to public school students. When students attend a private school outside their district of residence, the district of residence must contract with the district where the private school is located for the provision of such services. Such an expenditure must be included in the annual budget of the school district of residence. Health services available to private school students may include those performed by a physician, physician assistant, dentist, dental hygienist, registered professional nurse, nurse practitioner, school psychologist, school social worker or school speech therapist. They may also include dental prophylaxis, vision and hearing tests, the taking of medical histories, and the administration of health-screening tests, the maintenance of cumulative health records, and the administration of emergency care programs for ill or injured students. The obligation to provide resident private school students with health services to private school students that are equivalent to those provided to resident public school students does not require that districts provide full-time nursing services to a private school."

Also: " As authorized by law, public school districts must provide nonpublic school students with health and welfare services, transportation, textbooks, workbooks and manuals, computer software, library materials, gifted and career education, special education and related services for students with disabilities."

Now, you say you have your "own" nurse - but she may be paid by the district. And sometimes the private/parochial special ed kids are educated in the public school facility or off-site. Public school teachers aren't allowed to teach in the private/parochial buildings.

You would have to find out the specifics of what goes on in your school.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
This is a bigger problem than many admit: Martin L. Gross in "The Conspiracy of Ignorance: The Failure of American Public Schools", describes how the typical teacher is academically inferior and trained in dubious "educational psychology" and faddish "whole language" methods. Indeed, according to Gross, " ... (M)ost teachers and administrators come from the bottom third of their class and are outscored on the SAT tests by their own college-bound students."

When was this book written? Was he doing an average for the whole country?
We all are well aware of the lack of good education systems in some of our states - this doesn't include NY.
We are also well aware of the poor quality of some of the teaching programs in some state's colleges - this also doesn't include NY.

I'd be more than inclined to say that, if there were a bell curve in this guy's research for his book, NYS would be at the far right extreme of having the better educated teachers and programs for teachers. That being said, obviously, not all NYS teachers started out in NY or went to college in NY. But they do have to continue their education in NY once teaching here, getting their Master's here etc. Are there good and bad teachers? Of course, but the assumption that all our teachers are bad because some of the districts are having problems educating unmotivated students with parents who are illiterate themselves, among other problems, is ridiculous. Most of our schools here on LI do very well with the majority of their students.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Also, concerning the Masters Degree, wondertrev posted the following earlier in this thread, "The Education master's degree isn't taken seriously by anyone in academia. The undergrads ain't too bright (lowest SAT scores on most campuses),so most SUNY schools don't even have a GRE requirement. (Yes, I teach at SUNY, and have taught in the education dept).
It's something the unions instituted to prevent competition from outside workers. You could be a former NASA physicist with teaching experience and awards from teaching in other states, but w/o an M.Ed, the district is going to hire some bimbo with 12 hours of math classes and a masters degree in social justice and bulletin board making."

Are you now assuming that all teachers get their Masters at a SUNY school? Some do, some don't. In fact, many on LI go to Columbia! But Masters degrees now have to be in the subject area that the teacher was hired for - they can't take Basketweaving 101 - ha ha. Masters that are targeted this way improve the teacher's abilities to address the needs of their students. Credits taken beyond Masters are also required to be approved by the administration and generally need to be in areas that the teacher is teaching in.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
From School Law: "At the request of a private school, a school district must provide to resident students attending a non-public school health and welfare services and facilities equivalent to those available to resident students attending the district's public schools. Such services must be provided in "essentially the same manner and to the same extent" they are offered to public school students. When students attend a private school outside their district of residence, the district of residence must contract with the district where the private school is located for the provision of such services. Such an expenditure must be included in the annual budget of the school district of residence. Health services available to private school students may include those performed by a physician, physician assistant, dentist, dental hygienist, registered professional nurse, nurse practitioner, school psychologist, school social worker or school speech therapist. They may also include dental prophylaxis, vision and hearing tests, the taking of medical histories, and the administration of health-screening tests, the maintenance of cumulative health records, and the administration of emergency care programs for ill or injured students. The obligation to provide resident private school students with health services to private school students that are equivalent to those provided to resident public school students does not require that districts provide full-time nursing services to a private school."

Also: " As authorized by law, public school districts must provide nonpublic school students with health and welfare services, transportation, textbooks, workbooks and manuals, computer software, library materials, gifted and career education, special education and related services for students with disabilities."

Now, you say you have your "own" nurse - but she may be paid by the district. And sometimes the private/parochial special ed kids are educated in the public school facility or off-site. Public school teachers aren't allowed to teach in the private/parochial buildings.

You would have to find out the specifics of what goes on in your school.
Is this from NYS? I find it hard to believe that its true. Pulbic schools traditional pay for textbooks, special ed services and busing. That is it.
I will research about nurses and computers.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:03 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,266 times
When was this book written?

Old 06-06-2010, 09:14 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
7CatMom, Joanne teacher, Coachgns, Fanofavatar1 and Smash255, so, for the nation as a whole, teachers (and administrators) come from the bottom-third of their high school graduating class; but, here on Long Island (and, within New York City, as well), most teachers are from an entirely different class of students than Martin L. Gross reported for the nation as whole in "The Conspiracy of Ignorance: The Failure of American Public Schools"?

So, then, if the majority of these highly-paid teachers teaching in the gov't schools on Long Island do not come from the bottom-third of their high school graduating class, do less than 50% of the teachers come from the bottom third of their high school graduating class?

Less than 40%?

Less than 30%?

Less than 20%?

Less than 10%

0%?

It's my recollection that Gross obtained his information on high school class position from the admission departments at schools/colleges of education.
Funny how everyohe jumps on you, but nobody "corrected" this yahoo in a recent thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13600979-post50.html

Quote:
While the salary appears to be high and the benefits appears to be great. This is how these districts attract top quality teachers. Most teachers are either Ivy League or tier 1 schools graduates with close to 4.0 GPA. Many scores top 2% percentile on their state certification exams. But, that will only get them an interview. It is the dedication and passion to teach that will get them (or keep) their job.

Sure, the teachers in the city cost less. But, I don’t think it’s fair to compare our districts with NYC’s. Since, their union is weak and haunted by the city’s wonderful cost cutting efforts.
I would say the most important factor for hiring LI teachers is their "in" (meaning connections) in one or more school districts, not the rank of the school they went to or their performance.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:21 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Is this from NYS? I find it hard to believe that its true. Pulbic schools traditional pay for textbooks, special ed services and busing. That is it.
Never, in the 7-8 schools I've had personal or secondary knowledge of do the public schools give computers, software, or any such things to private schools. Besides, YOUR PAYING FOR IT ANYWAY.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post

Yes it is true and has been for a very long time. It is straight from the NYS School Law book. I've known these to be fact for decades.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Never, in the 7-8 schools I've had personal or secondary knowledge of do the public schools give computers, software, or any such things to private schools. Besides, YOUR PAYING FOR IT ANYWAY.

No, they don't give them computers, they can get software from the public school district.
And yes, you are paying for it anyway, that's why you are getting it! Hello? Don't think for a minute that the little amount of tuition you pay to a parochial school is going to buy all the necessary buses, books and other services the publics give them! As I said, it would be interesting to see exactly what the tuition would be if the private/parochials did have to pay for it all by themselves! Guess what? It would be comparable to the per pupil costs of the publics, minus the difference in salary and benefits.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:53 PM

156 posts, read 449,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Funny how everyohe jumps on you, but nobody "corrected" this yahoo in a recent thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13600979-post50.html

I would say the most important factor for hiring LI teachers is their "in" (meaning connections) in one or more school districts, not the rank of the school they went to or their performance.
I didn't reply because I have no connection to the East Williston school district (which is where this poster was referring to). How am I supposed to know where their teachers went to school? I can only speak for my own situation.
As far as your other point, having connections does help, but not nearly as much as it used to. The thing that a lot of people are missing here is that while the teacher salaries have gone up tremendously in the past decade or so, the expectations on teachers have gone up tremendously too. There are some people who are double dipping, doing less work and collecting the big money, but most teachers I know are doing the work and schooling to back up the salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island