Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:55 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If they made "basically nothing" then there would not be so many applicants!
A nice happy median would be to make money, but not enough to have 20,000 applicants for something like 100 slots.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:26 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
A nice happy median would be to make money, but not enough to have 20,000 applicants for something like 100 slots.
Yes! Too bad there's always that urge to totally destroy whoever is on the less powerful side (management or union) that results in one side getting the short end of the stick. God forbid they try and "be fair" to the less powerful side.

For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3
As a former teacher,(in private) I do believe schools should get rid of teachers that are not good. I don't think their salaries are that high considering you need a MA and it is not an easy job(unlike the police who get paid more with little education) It is administrators and supers(and believe it or not, head janitors and heads of lunch service get a starting salary of 110k a year) that are overpaid. In over 20 yrs of teaching, I never made more than 45k (private). SO, keep the competent teachers and their salaries, it is the other waste in the districts that are taking all of your tax money
That salary for that education and experience level is WAY TOO LOW. Why? Management is taking terrible advantage of the workers! Yet when it comes to unionized public school teachers, the unions, in collusion with the administrators and school boards, are taking terrible advantage of the taxpayers. It reminds me of how, instead of actually governing this country, the Republicans and Democrats spend most of their time playing power games with each other to the DETRIMENT of the people in this country.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:58 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
It's not about the education level or how "hard" the job is. It's about the ability to find a competitive replacement. If I can fire an employ that makes 100k and replace them with someone that can do the same job for 50k why would I not do that? A very telling figure that a lot of employers will use to gauge whether their salary is inline with the market is to see how many applications they get, given their pay offering. If they get hundreds of applications then they will lower their salary offer, if they get no applications then they will be forced to raise the salary offer.
You are right of course when it come to private companies but in the case of public unions particularly police and to a certain extent teachers it is just the opposite. Nassau and Suffolk police salaries only move in one direction regardless of the 10-20,000 applicants on the 3 year waiting list. I can only assume that there are many willing to risk the danger of the job.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
It's not about the education level or how "hard" the job is. It's about the ability to find a competitive replacement. If I can fire an employ that makes 100k and replace them with someone that can do the same job for 50k why would I not do that?
Because you get what you pay for.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:03 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Because you get what you pay for.
Caveat emptor.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Caveat emptor.
Not to mention that tax payers have little say in the pay and benefits of the teachers.

What we've gotten in the past decade is an exodus of young couples, future tax payers, and runaway spending.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Not to mention that tax payers have little say in the pay and benefits of the teachers.

What we've gotten in the past decade is an exodus of young couples, future tax payers, and runaway spending.
But aren't you glad a couple of politically connected UNIONS are able to heap more and more and more on their members (who are a MINORITY of the population of Nassau and Suffolk at large)? Isn't it all worth it for the rest of the taxpayers when it comes down to that?

Old 11-01-2010, 06:57 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Interesting that the UFTA wouldn't endorse Cuomo even though they have supported him in the past, I can only assume that would have been a death blow. That won't stop them from supporting the various other candidates because they need more funding from Albany for "the students".

Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Young people leaving the island is not a new phenomenon. It has been going on for over 30 years. Your point is irrelevant.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Interesting that the UFTA wouldn't endorse Cuomo even though they have supported him in the past, I can only assume that would have been a death blow. That won't stop them from supporting the various other candidates because they need more funding from Albany for "the students".
They wouldn't because he endorses property tax caps which would severly impinge upon teachers ability to get outrageous raises and benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island