U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:32 PM

128 posts, read 201,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That's a misnomer!

When a school district's name says "Union Free" it does not mean free of labor unions.

Here's a definition from the website of a NY school district (Spackenkill Union Free School District):

There is always a catch isnt there !

Old 05-14-2010, 02:56 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,786,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
I agree, but there are plenty of schools on LI that are union free.

NYS School Districts may be of some help to you in understanding the different types of school districts in New York State.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:40 PM

23 posts, read 20,229 times
Excellent replies. Thank you!

To the poster who mentioned paying teachers more based upon what they teach: Couldn't agree more. Supply and demand. I always hear math teachers are in demand. If that is the case they should be paid more than the English, Social Studies, elementary, etc. teachers. It doesn't appear that the private sector is looking to lure away the plethora of 110+k Gym and other dime-a-dozen teachers Long Island has.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 PM

15,804 posts, read 16,860,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpSaveLongIsland View Post
Excellent replies. Thank you!

To the poster who mentioned paying teachers more based upon what they teach: Couldn't agree more. Supply and demand. I always hear math teachers are in demand. If that is the case they should be paid more than the English, Social Studies, elementary, etc. teachers. It doesn't appear that the private sector is looking to lure away the plethora of 110+k Gym and other dime-a-dozen teachers Long Island has.
Who knows? The private sector might want to steal away the $125K kindergarten teachers over in Garden City schools!

Old 05-14-2010, 05:39 PM

14,294 posts, read 7,699,992 times
I'm really at a loss for words at this thread.

First off I think most of us can agree that property taxes are an issue, and the schools are a huge portion of it. However, outside of a few districts Long Island has among the best schools in the country, and that is especially true when you compare LI as a whole to other regions of the country. To fire every single teacher is just so mind numbingly insane. Now teachers salaries in some cases are a bit too high, though I would say most of the extreme bloated salaries seem to be in the wealthy districts. With that being said extreme pensions and Superintendent salaries are pretty much everywhere. This is where the bulk of the taxpayer abuse occurs and what needs to be addressed.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:54 PM

46 posts, read 125,714 times
"Bear in mind, as a general rule, teachers come from the bottom-third of their high school graduating class and then attend teaching colleges, so when they graduate from a teaching college and come back to teach at a gov't high school, they are less smart than the kids they are teaching."[LEFT]
Yo Walter, stick to what you're good at, giving people maps they could care less about.
[/LEFT]

Old 05-14-2010, 06:25 PM

15,804 posts, read 16,860,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootnami View Post
"Bear in mind, as a general rule, teachers come from the bottom-third of their high school graduating class and then attend teaching colleges, so when they graduate from a teaching college and come back to teach at a gov't high school, they are less smart than the kids they are teaching."[LEFT]
Yo Walter, stick to what you're good at, giving people maps they could care less about.
[/LEFT]
could NOT care less about.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 PM

46 posts, read 125,714 times
Once again, you must be a blast at a party!

Old 05-15-2010, 02:39 AM

2,846 posts, read 6,230,313 times
OK so we can't fire all the teachers....

But can we fire all the teachers of a canon? I say yes. Aim it at North Carolina. Problem solved!

Last edited by sean sean sean sean; 05-15-2010 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: spelling boner

Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 AM

4,242 posts, read 234,089 times
I don't think we should fire all tge teachers. I think there should be a huge revolt against the administrating staff. That is where the most money is spent. Can we go back to the bare necessities and then start again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island