U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-16-2010, 04:45 PM
 
Location: NYC
305 posts, read 633,142 times
Reputation: 143

Advertisements

You know being born and raise in NY on LI and moving out of NY only to return the quality of education in NY and LI is excellent. In other places it is the pits and with inexperience teachers at the base of it all. LI is expensive that is not doubt but truth be told if you did this the money will be spent someplace else and at least we have good schools to. Choose from
If you don't like it that much you could always packup and leave

 
Old 05-16-2010, 05:12 PM
 
843 posts, read 1,191,047 times
Reputation: 310
Default That's crazy talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
You know being born and raise in NY on LI and moving out of NY only to return the quality of education in NY and LI is excellent. In other places it is the pits and with inexperience teachers at the base of it all. LI is expensive that is not doubt but truth be told if you did this the money will be spent someplace else and at least we have good schools to. Choose from
If you don't like it that much you could always packup and leave
The quality of the schools on Long Island has nothing to do with "quality education" and "experience." Come on! These teachers are a dime a dozen. Just fire them all, and the kiddos will teach themselves. Taxes will drop, and then the financial analysts for Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs can hire us to cut their lawns (once all the evil Mexicans are kicked out).

Get with it!
 
Old 05-16-2010, 07:07 PM
 
1,841 posts, read 1,465,559 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
The quality of the schools on Long Island has nothing to do with "quality education" and "experience." Come on! These teachers are a dime a dozen. Just fire them all, and the kiddos will teach themselves. Taxes will drop, and then the financial analysts for Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs can hire us to cut their lawns (once all the evil Mexicans are kicked out).

Get with it!
I was never overly impressed by the "standards" of most public schools from what I saw. More then likely LI gets by with such high scores due to parental involvement.
 
Old 05-16-2010, 08:57 PM
 
329 posts, read 409,426 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I don't think we should fire all tge teachers. I think there should be a huge revolt against the administrating staff. That is where the most money is spent. Can we go back to the bare necessities and then start again.
Although I agree with you that the administrators are over paid and there are too many of them........The reality is that teachers salaries & benefits make up about 70% of all School District budgets.
 
Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 PM
 
72 posts, read 141,132 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
Although I agree with you that the administrators are over paid and there are too many of them........The reality is that teachers salaries & benefits make up about 70% of all School District budgets.

As they should, the teachers are educating the future of our society (not to sound cliched.) If that's not where most of the budget goes, where do you think it should?

Now, I'm not a teacher but I think a majority of you are just jealous that in such a horrible time teaching is the ideal position.

The bottom line is that teaching will always be a job that is around, and Long Island honestly has some of the best teachers.

I'm curious as to how many (or how few I should say) actually have children in Long Island schools. Because I can't imagine anyone who has actually had direct contact with the schools would make claims like this.
 
Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 PM
 
2,938 posts, read 5,696,653 times
Reputation: 745
Apart from administrator salaries and perks, in my school district there is an entire building dedicated to housing them. If we reduced the number of administrators we would not only save on direct salaries, we could sell the building to bring in money and return the property to the tax rolls.
 
Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 AM
 
1,841 posts, read 1,465,559 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyorker94 View Post
As they should, the teachers are educating the future of our society (not to sound cliched.) If that's not where most of the budget goes, where do you think it should?

Now, I'm not a teacher but I think a majority of you are just jealous that in such a horrible time teaching is the ideal position.

The bottom line is that teaching will always be a job that is around, and Long Island honestly has some of the best teachers.

I'm curious as to how many (or how few I should say) actually have children in Long Island schools. Because I can't imagine anyone who has actually had direct contact with the schools would make claims like this.
No, this has been a giant debate for at least a decade. It has however been exacerbated when we are in a recession, the COL is the same or down, and we're still giving these teachers a gold package. LI teachers are no better or worse then other programs, to say otherwise is to be more then a little under-traveled and under-versed in the way things work in the rest of the country.

I don't think anyone has a problem paying teachers. People have problems when their taxes are ridiculas and that being a teacher is like winning the lotto.
 
Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Wallens Ridge
3,131 posts, read 2,535,741 times
Reputation: 17204
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
You know being born and raise in NY on LI and moving out of NY only to return the quality of education in NY and LI is excellent. In other places it is the pits and with inexperience teachers at the base of it all. LI is expensive that is not doubt but truth be told if you did this the money will be spent someplace else and at least we have good schools to. Choose from
If you don't like it that much you could always packup and leave
^^^
If this is written by someone that was educated on L.I. , the schools aren't as good as you think .
 
Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 AM
 
8,681 posts, read 7,792,189 times
Reputation: 14954
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
These people aren't trying to hear it. The mastery of the upper class in matters of finance since the 1980s is going ignored - like slowly rising temperatures for a frog.

The working class is eating itself
(just like folks in the ghettoes kill themselves) because they don't see what's going on. Manufacturing moved away. Margins (profits) have increased for ownership. Workers lose work. Ownership makes more money. GDP increases. Workers wonder why the hell teachers get paid so much.

The downward spiral is hastened.

That has to be the most astute and insightful thing I've read on the Long Island subforum yet.
 
Old 05-17-2010, 11:22 AM
 
152 posts, read 329,872 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
^^^
If this is written by someone that was educated on L.I. , the schools aren't as good as you think .

Thanks for saving me the trouble!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top