U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2010, 08:49 AM
 
1,917 posts, read 2,788,277 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
This area in Calverton ...

RH Town, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 AM
 
9,343 posts, read 15,705,868 times
Reputation: 4197
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
RH Town, no?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 AM
 
1,917 posts, read 2,788,277 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yes.
So referring to the place as "Riverhead" is correct and does not require clarification from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 10:46 AM
 
9,343 posts, read 15,705,868 times
Reputation: 4197
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
So referring to the place as "Riverhead" is correct and does not require clarification from you.

No; because, just like earlier in this thread when you used "BH Town" to differentiate between the town and hamlet of Brookhaven, if you meant "RH Town", you would have used "RH Town".

The accepted convention is that when a community and the town that it is in share the same name, such as the Village of Babylon and the Town of Babylon, the Hamlet of Oyster Bay and the Town of Oyster Bay and, in this case, the Hamlet of Riverhead and the Town of Riverhead, if one means the town and not the village or hamlet, one would include the word "town", and, in the absence of doing so, the reader understands the reference to be the village or hamlet, and not the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM
 
1,917 posts, read 2,788,277 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
No; because, just like earlier in this thread when you used "BH Town" to differentiate between the town and hamlet of Brookhaven, if you meant "RH Town", you would have used "RH Town".

The accepted convention is that when a community and the town that it is in share the same name, such as the Village of Babylon and the Town of Babylon, the Hamlet of Oyster Bay and the Town of Oyster Bay and, in this case, the Hamlet of Riverhead and the Town of Riverhead, if one means the town and not the village or hamlet, one would include the word "town", and, in the absence of doing so, the reader understands the reference to be the village or hamlet, and not the town.

No sir. In this case, "Calverton" has nothing to do with Walmart being built. It's RH Town. Calverton has no representation in this case. I mentioned BH Town because the town had purchased huge lots of land for preservation.
Your logic is correct but does not fit in the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Western, Colorado
1,544 posts, read 1,672,340 times
Reputation: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
You don't even live here? So what do you know about the Pine Barrens?
I still own a house in Smithtown, and up till 2000, owned a summer house in Mattituck.

I know all to well the development that area has endured over the past 20 years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2012, 11:26 PM
 
10 posts, read 5,604 times
Reputation: 20
Isn't there like five other places along that route with trees already cleared and big empty parking lots? like that old dept store that housed the newspaper for a while?
Jeeze... they really want us to hate them don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 AM
 
Location: One of the "New" States
868 posts, read 350,697 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourstorymystory View Post
Isn't there like five other places along that route with trees already cleared and big empty parking lots? like that old dept store that housed the newspaper for a while?
Jeeze... they really want us to hate them don't they?
This story is over 2 years old and to my knowledge there hasn't been any indication that this project is proceeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Suffolk County, NY
1,136 posts, read 1,052,221 times
Reputation: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
This story is over 2 years old and to my knowledge there hasn't been any indication that this project is proceeding.
Was just thinking the same exact thing and was going to post it until I just read your post. This thread was from 2010 - There is no Wal Mart there 2 + years later.

False info much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Suffolk County, NY
1,136 posts, read 1,052,221 times
Reputation: 463
Oh and I don't know where these "piney woods" are across from Tanger...looks like a hotel to my eyes. Which has been there for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top