Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:38 PM

7 posts, read 12,532 times

Advertisements

Teacher and administrator salaries. website .. You can look up by teacher or by entire school district. Why are we passing these budgets with 6% increases. How are administrator's salaries increased on an annual basis ? Do they need to be voted on and if so, by whom ?
New York State | Public Employee Payrolls & Pensions on SeeThroughNY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 AM

57,060 posts, read 26,024,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stba View Post
Teacher and administrator salaries. website .. You can look up by teacher or by entire school district. Why are we passing these budgets with 6% increases. How are administrator's salaries increased on an annual basis ? Do they need to be voted on and if so, by whom ?
New York State | Public Employee Payrolls & Pensions on SeeThroughNY
Obviously if you are asking that many questions you are part of the problem. They are all under contracts that vary from 3- 5 years and your local school board and superintendent approve. They in the budget they is voted on each May but sounds like you didn’t vote.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:13 AM

574 posts, read 975,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
My school district's budget had a separate eight-figure line for STATE MANDATED increased pension contribution (to make up for the fact the markets weren't bearing an 8% return) and increased heath insurance premiums.

Of course, in the State's ultimate wisdom, they also decreased aid significantly to my school district.

Thanks!

Pension contributions are based entirely on the salaries...hence the higher the salaries the higher the contribution. Just wait until a flock of these current high end salaries start to retire...taxes will go literally through the roof! Its not the state fault..its the school boards that gave away the shop!

Old 06-02-2010, 01:53 PM

964 posts, read 2,457,982 times
I'm really baffled at the logic that asks...why is GC making a big deal over a 4.5% increase?

Ummm, maybe because that is much higher than the level of inflation? Maybe because teachers and administrators already make too much? Maybe because they already have step increases built into their salaries? Maybe because their pension benefits are defined benefits with a guaranteed 8% return? Maybe because their medical coverage is not indexed to medical expense inflation and therefore the taxpayers will bear the burden of increasing medical costs?

Maybe just maybe GC wanted to make a statement. The reason we are in this position is that every year parents kept telling themselves "it's no big deal". That has snowballed out of control and here we are today.

If you never take a stand, nothing will change. This was a stand for one village.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,240,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I'm really baffled at the logic that asks...why is GC making a big deal over a 4.5% increase?

Ummm, maybe because that is much higher than the level of inflation? Maybe because teachers and administrators already make too much? Maybe because they already have step increases built into their salaries? Maybe because their pension benefits are defined benefits with a guaranteed 8% return? Maybe because their medical coverage is not indexed to medical expense inflation and therefore the taxpayers will bear the burden of increasing medical costs?

Maybe just maybe GC wanted to make a statement. The reason we are in this position is that every year parents kept telling themselves "it's no big deal". That has snowballed out of control and here we are today.

If you never take a stand, nothing will change. This was a stand for one village.
The (il)logic goes like this: They think anyone who lives in GC must be rich. Therefore, GC residents have tons of money and can afford any and all tax increases, so GC residents should not balk at a 4.5% increase, no matter what it is spent on.

(I say: Baloney!)

Congrats to GC for taking a stand!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:41 PM

964 posts, read 2,457,982 times
GC is not a charity to fund teacher and administrator lifestyles. I know many more teachers making 6 figures than I do individuals in Garden City at this time. Many were laid off in private industry or hit hard by the recession. It's being felt everywhere....except for public sector union employees.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:55 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,240,130 times
^^^
You're preaching to the choir here, azzurrony!

Old 06-02-2010, 07:40 PM

7 posts, read 12,532 times
This goes out to Goodnight. I am a member of the PTA and yes I do vote on the budget. It is just not clear to me how the administrators get their salary increases. The administrator are not union / contract employees. If you are so knowledgeable, please share your knowledge with me...

Old 06-02-2010, 08:26 PM

574 posts, read 975,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stba View Post
This goes out to Goodnight. I am a member of the PTA and yes I do vote on the budget. It is just not clear to me how the administrators get their salary increases. The administrator are not union / contract employees. If you are so knowledgeable, please share your knowledge with me...
I'll jump in on that question:

1) Teachers contract expires. The SB hires a politically connected law firm that specializes in School labor contracts (and usually very friendly with the Unions Lawyer).The SB gives them their marching orders.The SB "hides" money in the budget for the anticipated salary increases. Sharp union reps/attorneys figure out the hidden amounts in contract & use to their advantage. If teachers feel SD playing hardball (very very rare!) they hold informational protests outside schools, use students as pawns to deliver stalled contract information to parents & flood SB meeting to intimidate Board & taxpayers that dare say something like teachers make too much money etc. Total blackout till one day you hear through the grapevine (usually from a PTO mom) that the teachers settled their contract and the yearly raises they'll be getting. No word on new clauses to benefit taxpayers whatsoever.

2) Administrators then piggyback and get the same raises as the teachers but since they make about 200K per year, the cost to taxpayers is significant.

3) The superintendent usually deals directly with the board to get his/her contract. The official contract usually has several "side agreements" that are hidden from the public.

A questions everyone should be asking their school boards right around the time the teachers contract expires & before negotiations start:

For the teachers contract:
What is the cost in dollars of each one percent raise for teachers (salary and benefits)?

For the administrators contract:
What is the cost in dollars of each one percent raise for teachers (salary and benefits)?

I know that the answers will shock most taxpayers!

Old 06-03-2010, 05:29 AM

66 posts, read 229,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post

If you never take a stand, nothing will change. This was a stand for one village....
I agree, but it is just as much the voters fault for letting it go this far. It is like the stock martket, and the voters would be the ones controling it... if you keep voting "yes" for expensive budgets year after year, dont you think there will be fallout when you stop? If these people were more involved year after year, increases could have been kept within reason over time, and no drastic changes would be needed. But not getting involved till things reach a boiling point is how 99% of society works.

Also, I know for a fact that the GC teachers union has "told" the central office "they would work with them" to get the budget to pass... central office rejected "help"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island