U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2010, 07:54 PM

519 posts, read 534,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So they will raise the taxes the next year and foot the union's demands temporarily out of the budget surpluses they have been hoarding for years while raising property taxes consistently.

I also wonder why the unions always demand so much and always get it if supposedly they are not allowed to know how much money the school board has. These people are all in bed with each other: lawyers, unions and school board members. Leaks are most likely commonplace considering how the unions always demand a lot and always get what they demand. That's some track record if the unions never know how much money the school board has, isn't it?

Yet we have to foot the bill. Nice.

Taxation without representation.

Unions do not always get what they demand! Show me proof of that one, I know for a fact it doesn't happen, unless of course they are a low-ball union and don't demand much and the board is happy about that.

"ALL" in bed with each other? Not so. Again, I know this for fact. Maybe some, not ALL by a long shot.
In my district, there was no line item stating "this is for current negotiations", it was spread out over several lines so no one could tell what or where it was.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't believe there is any setting aside for future contracts as they are usually completed prior to the budgets. Most contracts are 3-5 years and expire in June or July so a new contract would have already part of next years budget proposal. Health plan cost increases, retirement, etc they simply raise the real estate taxes.

I don't think a foil will accomplish anything since negotiations are mostly confidential but you can always attend a school board budget meeting and voice your opinion and test the temperature. The economy being what it is, people out of work, homes in foreclosure I would hope that these school boards are looking at salary freezes for the contracts expiring next summer.

Yes, there is always money in the budget for any negotiations going on. And of course there's money in the budget for the current contractual increases. Has to be. A district in NYS at least, has to run on a balanced budget. They can't have expenses and revenues out of whack, they can't go bankrupt. Budgets are mostly estimates as well, because they never know what the state aid is going to actually be due to Albany's penchant for late budgets, and because the towns don't have the final property assessment figures until the Fall, and because, if there are negotiations going on, they don't have final figures for salaries and benefits - so they have to estimate. Boards cannot agree to any contract demand that would go over what money they have available!

Your school taxes cannot increase during the budget year. Things like the health insurance or pensions would have to wait until the next budget season for any increases.

FOIL's can be done after negotiations once the contract is signed, sorry if I wasn't clear about that piece.

My husband's district is asking now to go into renegotiations for a possible freeze or something - this is after the budget vote! I don't understand why they waited to do this, as what incentive is there now for the unions to agree to a freeze if the budget passed already?

But I'll tell you, hearing from all our retired teacher friends, everybody knows they got out when the getting was good. They all know that contracts are never going to be the same, so that new atmosphere is really taking hold, the reality of the situation has hit home. It's a good bet that new contracts will be very different. Hopefully.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM

15,856 posts, read 17,138,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Unions do not always get what they demand! Show me proof of that one, I know for a fact it doesn't happen, unless of course they are a low-ball union and don't demand much and the board is happy about that.

"ALL" in bed with each other? Not so. Again, I know this for fact. Maybe some, not ALL by a long shot.
In my district, there was no line item stating "this is for current negotiations", it was spread out over several lines so no one could tell what or where it was.
Will you argue with me that the unions don't get MOST of what they want? If you are negotiating, you demand MORE than what you want, plain and simple. So they demand too much, make "concessions" of things they knew they wouldn't get anyway, etc., and end up basically with what they wanted in the first place.

I would say that the unions are the ones who always get the better end of the deal in the LI school districts and has been going on for decades.

Over on the other thread, you sing a slightly different tune:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14460591-post344.html

Quote:
Sure the union is powerful, but sometimes even they realize there are changes that are needed. It would be to their benefit to give a little to save face, but I understand completely that it doesn't happen often!
And did not tell this person (who tells it like it is) he is incorrect:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14462285-post353.html

Quote:
I have seen the past contracts for several districts and they are simply a repeat of prior years and seem to always move towards the union side except for teachers sharing in the health plans cost. It appears very little thought went into past contracts but there was no contrntion why would they bother.
The second point you made that I bolded is changed to reflect reality on Long Island as follows:

Quote:
"ALL" in bed with each other? Not so. Again, I know this for fact. MOST, but not ALL by a long shot."

Old 06-04-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Will you argue with me that the unions don't get MOST of what they want? If you are negotiating, you demand MORE than what you want, plain and simple. So they demand too much, make "concessions" of things they knew they wouldn't get anyway, etc., and end up basically with what they wanted in the first place.

I would say that the unions are the ones who always get the better end of the deal in the LI school districts and has been going on for decades.

Over on the other thread, you sing a slightly different tune:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14460591-post344.html

And did not tell this person (who tells it like it is) he is incorrect:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14462285-post353.html

The second point you made that I bolded is changed to reflect reality on Long Island as follows:
And as unions ask for more than they expect to get, boards offer a lot less on the first round. Everyone knows there's going to be back and forth over several rounds. It has been my experience that both the district and the union get some of what they want, so both win something. And it's not all about salary or health benefits.

I would say your experience in your district is different from my experience with a few districts and knowledge of many others.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:24 PM

329 posts, read 409,886 times
RE: I was talking of all the ripoffs of the taxpayers in general. My district is probably better than most.

Well...my district, East Williston probably takes top honors for ripping off the taxpayers. Come July 1, 2010 our greedy teachers and supervisors will gouging taxpayers for about an 8% raise (contract increase plus thoses bogus "step" increases). Can anyone believe that in these tough economic times, with layoffs, foreclosures, etc etc theses hogs will actually be getting an 8% raise!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 AM

8,944 posts, read 3,044,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
RE: I was talking of all the ripoffs of the taxpayers in general. My district is probably better than most.

Well...my district, East Williston probably takes top honors for ripping off the taxpayers. Come July 1, 2010 our greedy teachers and supervisors will gouging taxpayers for about an 8% raise (contract increase plus thoses bogus "step" increases). Can anyone believe that in these tough economic times, with layoffs, foreclosures, etc etc theses hogs will actually be getting an 8% raise!
East Willistonís Teachers contract does not expire until June 30, 2011; their COLA increase will be 3.25% starting in July through the end of the contract. They had a 3% average COLA for the 5 year contract not including performance or step increases. Hopefully you board will negotiate towards a freeze for the next contract; they should be starting negotiations in September, go to the budget meetings and make your points known.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:12 PM

8,944 posts, read 3,044,429 times
Quote:
Yes, there is always money in the budget for any negotiations going on. And of course there's money in the budget for the current contractual increases. Has to be. A district in NYS at least, has to run on a balanced budget. They can't have expenses and revenues out of whack, they can't go bankrupt. Budgets are mostly estimates as well, because they never know what the state aid is going to actually be due to Albany's penchant for late budgets, and because the towns don't have the final property assessment figures until the Fall, and because, if there are negotiations going on, they don't have final figures for salaries and benefits - so they have to estimate. Boards cannot agree to any contract demand that would go over what money they have available!

Your school taxes cannot increase during the budget year. Things like the health insurance or pensions would have to wait until the next budget season for any increases.

FOIL's can be done after negotiations once the contract is signed, sorry if I wasn't clear about that piece.

My husband's district is asking now to go into renegotiations for a possible freeze or something - this is after the budget vote! I don't understand why they waited to do this, as what incentive is there now for the unions to agree to a freeze if the budget passed already?

But I'll tell you, hearing from all our retired teacher friends, everybody knows they got out when the getting was good. They all know that contracts are never going to be the same, so that new atmosphere is really taking hold, the reality of the situation has hit home. It's a good bet that new contracts will be very different. Hopefully.

The teachers will always have an approved contract before the budget is voted on so there is no guess work involved and no requirement to set aside money for negotiations. Just about every contract expires in June and if a new contract required in almost all cases it is completed before the budget. If your husbands contract expired in June of this year then they are behind and yes they would need to estimate funding in the budget, otherwise it would go in next years budget.

A FOIL for the contract negotiations would serve little purpose since before hand negotiations are confidential and afterwards the final contract is public information.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:56 AM

Default The Threats Are In Overdrive For Herricks Re-Vote!

Yes, the standard lines are being pulled from the heap to threaten, scare and intimidate Herricks taxpayers into approving the re-vote school budget.
*sports will be cut
*transportation will be cut
*class sizes will increase
*most of the budget are mandated one ( yea 75% are for teachers & administrators salaries and benefits that the board signed off on!)

Some very modest cuts were made to the original budget but the greedy teachers & administrators refused to help in any way. Basically the teachers & administrators told the taxpayers & children to drop dead!

Herricks voters should stand strong and tell then to drop dead by soundly defeating the re-vote.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne teacher View Post
I do not have news 12. Can anyone post budget results as they come out? Or if you can tell me where else I can access them? Thanks a lot!
could you give me your number i will contact the budget results with you

Old 06-10-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:

And you don't think that the Union Lawyers can figure that out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island