Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:10 AM

22,633 posts, read 36,587,444 times

Advertisements

I knew Walter was gonna get me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 02:26 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,230,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
Wow, condescending much?

OP, ignore all of this. Aside from census wonks and Cliff Claven types, nobody thinks or speaks in terms of hamlets (including local papers, politicians, real estate agents and websites, local signage, etc...). If someone says "Northport Village," they mean the downtown business district. Same goes for Greenlawn, CSH, and Huntington.
Cliff Claven types... LOL!

Old 05-21-2010, 02:44 PM

1,918 posts, read 7,088,079 times
The OP was asking for practical information. Let's not RUIN the thread with geographical nonsense and BICKERING. Sheesh.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:52 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,589,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
The OP was asking for practical information. Let's not RUIN the thread with geographical nonsense and BICKERING. Sheesh.
What about correct grammar and correct spelling? Are they nonsense, too?

Or, is it only correct geography that is nonsense?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:53 PM

9 posts, read 25,189 times
I am just going to ignore the unnecessary bickering and hope a few more kind souls will do the same and answer my questions. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:40 PM

325 posts, read 734,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
What about correct grammar and correct spelling? Are they nonsense, too?

Or, is it only correct geography that is nonsense?
If this were a trivia or geography thread, your off topic (and often condescending) information might be pertinent, but the OP was looking for info from locals, not a geography lesson with little practical application. When a local refers to "Northport Village" EVERYONE knows what they are referring to, and the usage of the term is 100% correct. That's why there's a sign on Woodbine Ave that reads "Welcome to Northport Village."

I personally take offense to the idea that I am "ignorant."

While your information about hamlets might be interesting trivia (sort of) to those of us familiar with the area, it's likely to just confuse new/potential residents.

Yes, grammar and spelling are important, but your posts are akin to someone who trolls every thread to correct grammatical and spelling mistakes.

Huntington is also part of the The Outer Lands terminal moraine archipelagic region. Maybe you should spam a few threads with that helpful factoid.

OP, sorry to go off topic. If you have any questions about what the area is really like (stuff that you can't get from a geography glossary) feel free to PM me. Like I said, I'm a third generation lifelong resident of the Huntington area.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabellaanne View Post
I am just going to ignore the unnecessary bickering and hope a few more kind souls will do the same and answer my questions. Thanks!
Well, here's a try ...

The Hamlet of Centerport has a different border than does the "Centerport, NY 11721" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have other than a "Centerport, NY 11721" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Centerport): there are places in the Hamlet of Centerport with a "Northport, NY 11768" and "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address.

Northport is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where most of the places that have the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places that have a "Northport, NY 11768" mailing address that are not in the Village of Northport are in the Hamlet of Eatons Neck, the Village of Asharoken, the Hamlet of Fort Salonga, the Hamlet of East Northport and the Hamlet of Centerport.

Lloyd Harbor is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address: places in the Village of Lloyd Harbor have a "Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724" and "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 05-21-2010 at 06:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
If this were a trivia or geography thread ...

As far as I know, this is (mostly) a real estate forum, not a chat board where standards of grammar, spelling and geography are much looser.

And, it seems to me, that correct political geography is necessary to understand real estate on Long Island with its myriad of governmental jurisdictions. At least, that's what the well-respected (now deceased) Town of Huntington historian, Rufus B. Langhans, taught me.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:11 AM

85 posts, read 232,567 times
Yawn < aughhhh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island