Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Unfortunately, in many places teachers ARE underpaid. However, LI is certainly on the opposite end of the spectrum AND I do not advocate making LI teachers underpaid. I am against underpaid teachers also!

It can and does hurt the children because of the way the deck is stacked when it comes to what is "votable" by the public and what is not. Since the teachers and administrators get THEIRS FIRST, the kids will always get the leftovers. Is that what we're paying taxes for? I thought it was for the education of the kids, NOT the continued and ever-improving comfortable lifestyle until death of the employees!

But the kids get the crumbs and scraps of the money and if anyone dare protest by voting against the budget, they are called "kid haters" by the beneficiaries of the stacked system. Real nice.
Yes, just not on LI.

Do you think salaries should be a voteable option for election time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 PM

280 posts, read 247,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Yes, just not on LI.

No - the teachers shouldn't be held hostage to the whims of the taxpayers just as the public shouldn't be held hostage by the union. Neither side of the pendulum is productive.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
No - the teachers shouldn't be held hostage to the whims of the taxpayers just as the public shouldn't be held hostage by the union. Neither side of the pendulum is productive.
What about a base salary + set increases per time with COLA adjustment every few years?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
What about a base salary + set increases per time with COLA adjustment every few years?
That is similar to what they do (the set increases are called step raises).

Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, just not on LI.

I think the funding for the kids should come FIRST, before the entitlements and raises for the personnel, and that in a "bad economic climate," the personnel should not be demanding raises to go on "as usual."

I also think that the personnel and their union(s) need to JUSTIFY why they deserve more instead of simply demand it and expect the taxpayers to be forced to provide as much as they want.

I do not think the public should be setting the salary scale, but could vote on the percentage of the raise OR vote on the contribution percentage to the retirement accounts (in my perfect world they would not be pensions but 403b accounts).

Old 05-25-2010, 01:15 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,592 times
COLA should be guarenteed. Then additional increases can be negotiated as economic times are favorable, with no additional increases when things are bad.

Where I work, COLA was given up decades ago, any negotiations for base pay increases have been fights just to keep up with inflation.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
COLA should be guarenteed. Then additional increases can be negotiated as economic times are favorable, with no additional increases when things are bad.

Where I work, COLA was given up decades ago, any negotiations for base pay increases have been fights just to keep up with inflation.
I have never worked anywhere that gave COLA raises.

Either you earned a decent raise on merit (provided the company was giving raises that year) or you didn't.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:20 PM

280 posts, read 247,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post

The only place COLA is guaranteed is in government - and that's why we are here. No guarantees.

Last edited by Fanofavatar1; 05-25-2010 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: bad spelling mistake

Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,592 times
Quote:
The only place COLA is gauranteed is in government - and that's why we are here. No guarantees.
I guess this is true, last place I had it was when I worked for the Post Office about 10 years ago. Makes sense now

Old 05-25-2010, 03:23 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times
Quote:
The only place COLA is guaranteed is in government - and that's why we are here. No guarantees.
Have to disagree with this one.
Everyplace I've worked, since the 60's, COLA was part of the formula for raises, and none of those companies were Public employers.

In one (Large Fortune 100 company) there was an annual COLA adjustment, plus a Merit adjustment. Then there was the very small Co in a southern state that used COLA as a Factor in determining the annual raises.

And a large LI company had an annual COLA adjustment as a "floor" for a merit increase - with the policy that if a person's performance was so poor that they were getting Only the COLA adjustment, they'd probably be looking for a new job elsewhere very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island