Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times

Advertisements

So my SIL is a teacher and all her teaching buddies are posting on her FB account about how the school district passed the budget. I was then told teachers on LI don't "make all that much" after someone wondered why taxpayers are voting against the budgets.. after all its "for the children".

I'm posting the percentages of teachers making 6-figure salaries now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 02:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
^^^
Do yourself a favor and "unfriend" her because you are going to:

1. vomit
2. possibly have a huge family fight over this

Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 PM

PS: It's not all about six-figure salaries.

The biggest money eaters for unionized public school teachers and the administrators above them (who demand "more or better" than the teachers) are the following:

1. Pension (instead of what the private sector gets: a self-funded 401k with optional employer contribution). Pension is further sweetened by the un-real world deal that it "must earn 8% or more per year OR the taxpayers have to make up the difference."

2. Health Insurance for LIFE for teachers and their dependents (unlike what most of the private sector gets: Medicare at the appropriate age).

If these two thing above would change with the times, the taxpayers of NYS would not be going broke and the generous salary for working much less days than the average person's work year would be less of an issue.

Right now the motto is:

"Heads we win! Tails you lose! And we're holding your children hostage to OUR needs!"

Old 05-19-2010, 02:29 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
I hate when the breeders always intone it's "FOR THE CHILDREN". If you want to propogate the species you should pay all the resultant propogation expenses, including education.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I hate when the breeders always intone it's "FOR THE CHILDREN". If you want to propogate the species you should pay all the resultant propogation expenses, including education.
I hate when they intone "it's for the children" and it's a LIE.

It's really set up so the teachers and administrators get to gorge themselves on the taxpayers' money and the children get the scraps and left-over crumbs.

Now how is that "for the children?"

Public schools on Long Island are no longer in the business of education, but are run for the comfort and convenience of the unionized "white collar professionals" (union and white collar professional rarely crosses and you can see why) and their administrators. Education is just a side effect at this point to keep their real goal intact. The public schools are in the business of keeping unions in power, no matter what cost to the children.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:38 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
10 pages, easy.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:06 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
10 pages, easy.
^^^LOL, I am saying maybe only 6...

I can't tell you how many teachers I speak to who put "Gorge myself at the trough of Taxpayers" on their resume objective when they graduated with teaching degrees and student loan debt. Totally their motivation in choosing their profession.

The earlier poster who commented about the pension issues and healthcare costs was onto something though...and I am married to a teacher...

Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
10 pages, easy.
LOL, while everything is cordial so far, no way this thread makes it 10 pages without getting locked prior to that,

With that being said I think the bigger issue is pensions and some of the administrative costs and salaries rather than teachers pay.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
^^^LOL, I am saying maybe only 6...

I can't tell you how many teachers I speak to who put "Gorge myself at the trough of Taxpayers" on their resume objective when they graduated with teaching degrees and student loan debt. Totally their motivation in choosing their profession.

The earlier poster who commented about the pension issues and healthcare costs was onto something though...and I am married to a teacher...
The gorge myself stuff does not happen EVERYWHERE like it does on Long Island.

That would be me.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:00 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
:c rying:

Uh, no. This is part of the benefits of the society we live in. Public education is paid for by all in the community, use them or not, same as roads, mass transit, fire and police, etc.

I cant imagine how you turned out so well living in that cave where your parents neighbors didnt have to shell out a dime (indirectly) for your upbringing.

Its comments like this that make me want to have 10 more kids so you can help pick up the cost of their public education, and more garbage at my curb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island