U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-31-2010, 05:49 PM
 
280 posts, read 44,117 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
That's not what statistical significance means. I mean, it was just a semantic glitch on your part, and you took it as a forward attack on you. I think your insistence that your improper use of the word was proper made you look like more of an idiot than you might actually be. I don't know for sure. I don't know what kind of head wounds you've experienced, so...

When I'm estimating from a sample the attitude, for instance, of a larger population, I need to sample a small number of people randomly. I deal with margin of error (+/- 5, or whatever), but I don't deal with statistical significance.

Statistical significance comes into play when I'm trying to find how two things co-relate (that doesn't mean sample co-relating with actual population). That means, attempting to understand how, say, smoking correlates with lung cancer, or religiosity correlates with conservatism. In the latter cases, I would want to know how statistically significant the results are, meaning, how likely the results are to occur, provided the sample was drawn at random, in 100 tries.
No need to copy and paste more from your textbook. I understand what statistical significance is. I didn't go into what variables correlate, just how represenative the vote was to the public. You took the context further and attempted to insult me. You missed the point, and now you are wasting time copying and pasting statiscal info from your text book. Are you really THAT bored?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 PM
 
Location: LawnGuyLind, NY / Sarasota, FL
1,380 posts, read 1,102,514 times
Reputation: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Show you statistics? Why, you won't be able to understand them anyway.


How about we use a little common sense. But before we get there, let's clear up an important fact - you posted a number of times that it drizzled, or there was "moisture", implying the rainfall was insignificant. Maybe out in the boonies of Suffolk County it was a drizzle, but it Nassau County it rained ridiculously hard all day.


Now that we've cleared up how strong the rainfall was that day, let's use some common sense. Seniors (ie: those on a fixed income and who are far removed from the school system) would be less likely to vote for the budget. Now if it rains, they would be less likely to go out due to their age/condition. Many seniors don't like to drive in the rain, and many more don't want to risk a fall.

Is this really that hard to fathom, or has your ideology so blinded you that even "Slap you in the face" common sense is not common for you?
What a ridiculously INANE comment!
This is how you respond - by a personal attack?
Childish at best.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 05:54 PM
 
280 posts, read 44,117 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
What a ridiculously INANE comment!
This is how you respond - by a personal attack?
Childish at best.
Because the poster that post was directed at showed his ignorance of statistics beyond copying and pasting definitions from his text book.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 PM
 
843 posts, read 1,133,787 times
Reputation: 309
Default You are wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Because the poster that post was directed at showed his ignorance of statistics beyond copying and pasting definitions from his text book.
I've explained what I meant 3 different ways. I defined "statistical significance" for you from my Finley and Agresti stats textbook, the more elementary one I used in grad school, for you in order to demonstrate that your use of the term was incorrect. Somehow, you've defined the conventional use of evidence, e.g., appealing to authority and/or common use definitions, as the wrong way to go about an argument (your constantly railing on about "cutting and pasting"). I mean, what do you want. A bar room definition? Should we all just conform to your malapropisms in order to help you save face?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 06:04 PM
 
280 posts, read 44,117 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I've explained what I meant 3 different ways. I defined "statistical significance" for you from my Finley and Agresti stats textbook, the more elementary one I used in grad school, for you in order to demonstrate that your use of the term was incorrect. Somehow, you've defined the conventional use of evidence, e.g., appealing to authority and/or common use definitions, as the wrong way to go about an argument (your constantly railing on about "cutting and pasting"). I mean, what do you want. A bar room definition? Should we all just conform to your malapropisms in order to help you save face?
No, your definitions are fine. The way I used the term was perfectly acceptable. It's about the CONTEXT. You chose to dig in deeper and make an issue where there wasn't one. Then you were forced to waste how much time typing what your textbook says? Maybe you should understand the context next time before you attempt to insult someone... you won't come across as a nut job.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 06:05 PM
 
843 posts, read 1,133,787 times
Reputation: 309
Default Wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
More garbage. Again with the vulgar reference. As I said before, only those who are unintelligent and have weak arguments need to resort to the vulgar sexual references.

Finally, your point that the public not pointing to state universities to gut their athletic programs is nothing less than assinine. The target is on local education, k-12. Why are you bringing in state universities? State universities don't comprise 70% of people's tax bills. Sorry, but you failed again. Terrible, just terrible.
They constitute in some instances 70% of local taxes. I've identified what constitutes a large portion of local taxes for many cities - paying back bonds with interest in order to "bail out" sports corporations with enormous new stadiums. Tea baggers aren't complaining about that in Chicago after selling bonds to fund the renovation of Soldier Field. Who's paying for the new Meadowlands?

A portion of your state taxes goes to university athletics, a disproportionate amount in poorly populated Southern states with one flagship public institution. Tea baggers aren't going after those programs.

Nope - it's the women.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 06:05 PM
 
1,824 posts, read 1,365,404 times
Reputation: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Yes, quite obviously, teachers have been fair game for a long time. It's funny that no one is complaining about their "recreational" dollars going towards multi-million dollar contracts for athletes - you pay that one willingly. Or the same for stars, singers etc whose ticket prices for their movies and concerts are outrageous. You pay those willingly also. Not me.

You think a Kindergarten teacher who has been working for 30 years isn't worth the $100,000? Why? The skills and knowledge for that job are so important to the child's future in school, while being quite different from the AP science teacher whose course is actually optional, albeit difficult. I would submit that the AP teacher might have it a lot easier than the Kindergarten teacher. The students already know how to read, they are supposed to be of the highest caliber student, motivated and smart. The Kindergarten student is young, can't read, learning how to write and count, sometimes emotionally not ready, sometimes socially inept, being made to be in school for the very first time! Much more difficult to keep their attention and teach them than the AP student!

Teachers don't need to find another 60 days of work to satisfy your need, they already work full-time according to their work rules.

Regular ed teachers (which ones are those?) probably have a more difficult time teaching than the AP teachers, as per noted above. They get students at all levels of ability and motivation. In fact, AP teachers stay with the one or two courses while "regular" teachers can be moved about to several different levels of their subject area each year - remedial, Regents, Honors.

If a district has 40% or more of their teaching staff making $100,000 or more, then they have a very senior staff who is not retiring! The remedy to that is to offer them an early retirement incentive. The business supt will figure out what is needed to get several people to take the incentive and how much it will save the district the first year and from then on out. Brand new teachers coming in at 1/3 the salary is a great saving device.
Along with a concentrated effort at lowering salary increases across the board and requiring a bigger contribution to benefits will do the trick. It just takes some good negotiation!
So the crux of your arguement is that ball players, who are not paid by my property taxes, make money?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 06:06 PM
 
843 posts, read 1,133,787 times
Reputation: 309
Default Explain yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
No, your definitions are fine. The way I used the term was perfectly acceptable. It's about the CONTEXT. You chose to dig in deeper and make an issue where there wasn't one. Then you were forced to waste how much time typing what your textbook says? Maybe you should understand the context next time before you attempt to insult someone... you won't come across as a nut job.
Explain the context in which "statistical significance" means "the sample was large enough to reflect the opinions of the actual population."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 06:08 PM
 
843 posts, read 1,133,787 times
Reputation: 309
Default Indirectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
So the crux of your arguement is that ball players, who are not paid by my property taxes, make money?
Those enormous salaries, such as for A-Rod, wouldn't exist without enormous sports corporation bailouts in the form of stadium sized gifts for the billionaires who own the teams.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 06:10 PM
 
Location: LawnGuyLind, NY / Sarasota, FL
1,380 posts, read 1,102,514 times
Reputation: 814
Fanovavatar - your posts here are becoming more shrill & inane with each post. You've made your point. A few like-minded people agree with you. Screaming louder & louder, and insulting anyone who disagrees with you, does nothing to get your point across. It detracts from it.

As for this whole silly argument about statistical significance of the vote - it is entirely irrelevant.
It was a VOTE. A Public election. If there are 1 million voters, and only one person decides to vote, that person;s vote counts, and that is the Conclusion. End of argument until the next ELECTION.
Elections are not exercises in statistics. Election results are Absolutes. They express the will of the people who care to express their opinions. Any good statistician can mainipulate statistics to prove their point. An election is what a democracy does to avoid these "Lies, Damm Lies & Statistics" (A book you - the collective you, here - may want to read. ).

And lastly, you seem to react much too strongly to the term TEABAGGERS. No one is using it in a sexual context. If this is the only way you can conceive of that term, you probably need to look deep inside. Or does that term offend you as well? "Thou dost protest too much?"
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top