Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 06:02 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,049 times

Advertisements

All this bold type is giving me a headache. I think a good teacher is worth every penny. Even $129,830. The big problem is that you can't get rid of the bad ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 06:58 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
All this bold type is giving me a headache. I think a good teacher is worth every penny. Even $129,830. The big problem is that you can't get rid of the bad ones.
No offense to differing opinions, but 129K is a hard pill to swallow for me. I work with lots of professionals saving lives, working much worse shift, in much worse enviroments, with much less downtime, and making half that. Thats 150-160ish in compensation total.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 AM

577 posts, read 978,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
No offense to differing opinions, but 129K is a hard pill to swallow for me. I work with lots of professionals saving lives, working much worse shift, in much worse enviroments, with much less downtime, and making half that. Thats 150-160ish in compensation total.

That works out to about $725.00 per work day without costs for benefits & pension.

With costs for pension & benefits that teacher costs East Williston taxpayers about $880.00 per work day.

Clearly Outrageous AND Unsustainable!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:58 PM

294 posts, read 609,921 times
There's plenty of useful data on the NYS Education Dept. website. The linked report should be of particular interest to LIers and relevant to the ongoing salary dialogue on this thread. Nassau's data starts at the top of pg. 10 and ends towards the bottom of pg. 11, with Suffolk's data running from the bottom of pg. 17 to the top of pg. 20. The county summary for Nassau and Suffolk can be found on pages 24 and 25, respectively.

http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/irts/pmf/2008-09/2009_Stat-14.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-01-2010, 07:00 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,579,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP Guy View Post
There's plenty of useful data on the NYS Education Dept. website. The linked report should be of particular interest to LIers and relevant to the ongoing salary dialogue on this thread. Nassau's data starts at the top of pg. 10 and ends towards the bottom of pg. 11, with Suffolk's data running from the bottom of pg. 17 to the top of pg. 20. The county summary for Nassau and Suffolk can be found on pages 24 and 25, respectively.

http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/irts/pmf/2008-09/2009_Stat-14.pdf (broken link)
The salaries look comparable to me. They should be making more with all the time they spent in school getting an education. Honestly they could probably make more in the private sector. God bless them.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 PM

302 posts, read 590,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
The salaries look comparable to me. They should be making more with all the time they spent in school getting an education. Honestly they could probably make more in the private sector. God bless them.
About what I was expecting but I'm surprised that some nassau county districts have a median salary of 100k+. Many professionals on LI in private sector don't make that kind of money. One person working less than full-time (defined as ~250 days) and having a median salary higher than the average and median household income of the county is beyond great. Just shows how LI teachers are so so overpaid, and just look at how much all other NY teachers make. Poor struggling taxpayers in the private sector. God bless them.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:15 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
And which private sector job is going to pay salaries of 60-130K + 20-25ish benefits and you only work 185 days per year?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
And which private sector job is going to pay salaries of 60-130K + 20-25ish benefits and you only work 185 days per year?
Are you as frustrated as I am that your breakdown has to be repeated over and over?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:25 AM

294 posts, read 609,921 times
Default Humble Pie for Fastrudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Thinking up a median salary is the same as thinking up one-half of the sum of the lowest and highest salaries of teachers on Long Island. It is vague, meaning not established, determined or known. Your vague estimate of 80K-85K (and possibly 5K+ higher), is a severely inflated estimate based on the bar graph presented by silverbullet, which indicates $61+K. Your maximum estimate is nearly 50% more than reality. Besides which, in your presentation you use far too many "weasel words":
you think
probably
no less than
you state 80-85K and then add a weasel possibly and a weasel "+" sign after your already inflated estimate.
Then you weasel about who carries the burden of proof for your argument!
So there you have a reasonable arguement of why the median salary is below $80K, besides, now we have a wonderful graph, supplied by a member that torpedoes your inflated estimate.

BTW, by "purposely vague", I think that you (as well as others on this forum) do not want to INFORM the masses as much as you would like to INCITE the masses. My purpose is to inform, that is what I have done with my teaching for a very long time. I don't need weasels words to inform.
Weasel word - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HA HA HA! How's that foot tasting in your mouth right now?

Apparently, the NYS Education Department thinks my salary estimates are just about perfect; certainly much closer than that ridiculous amount of $61k that you were trying to put out there as fact.

I'm memorializing this absurd, arrogant, pontificating and self-righteous post of yours for all to see. You say your purpose is to inform, well I think you're failing miserably in that regard. As I said earlier, you're either intentionally trying to mislead people or are so intellectually lazy that you won't do the research yourself, take your pick. As an "educator", you should be embarrassed about intentionally misleading others or being that out of touch with reality when it comes to these salaries.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:20 AM

332 posts, read 613,451 times
With all of these complaints about teachers salaries, I would like to know what you think teachers should get paid, if you think they are indeed over compensated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island