Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 10:17 AM

577 posts, read 979,308 times

Advertisements

RE:And people should be paid based on that. Teachers hould have a nice salary, but when almost 40% of a district is making a 90K salary plus 20-30K in benefit packages while peoples taxes are doubling in <10 years then something is screwed up.

Wow good thing you don't pay school taxes in the East Williston School District:

3 Buildings
1 Superintendent
8 Administrators
7 Curriculum Associates
230 Teachers
155 employees making 90K plus =63%

Yes.....pity the poor taxpayers of the East Williston School District 63% of them make 90K plus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 10:43 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,467 times
Default What's wrong with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
RE:And people should be paid based on that. Teachers hould have a nice salary, but when almost 40% of a district is making a 90K salary plus 20-30K in benefit packages while peoples taxes are doubling in <10 years then something is screwed up.

Wow good thing you don't pay school taxes in the East Williston School District:

3 Buildings
1 Superintendent
8 Administrators
7 Curriculum Associates
230 Teachers
155 employees making 90K plus =63%

Yes.....pity the poor taxpayers of the East Williston School District 63% of them make 90K plus!
If I understand correctly, the residents there approved the budget. What's the harm?

Old 05-31-2010, 12:27 PM

RE:If I understand correctly, the residents there approved the budget. What's the harm?

The budget was approved by about 35 votes (if there were no ummm human errors like in Brentwood) with about a 10% turnout on a rainy day. Two of the five board members including the Board President voted against the budget. So I suggest the Superintendent/bloated administrators & overpaid teachers.........not get too comfortable.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:22 PM

Default Well...

Quote:
RE:If I understand correctly, the residents there approved the budget. What's the harm?

The budget was approved by about 35 votes (if there were no ummm human errors like in Brentwood) with about a 10% turnout on a rainy day. Two of the five board members including the Board President voted against the budget. So I suggest the Superintendent/bloated administrators & overpaid teachers.........not get too comfortable.
Well, they already have a ranking of 93/100 on the City-Data site.

They are above the state median on all state testing.

Almost no students test below standard.

So, I guess what you mean by "They shouldn't get too comfortable" is that they should keep working hard like they've been doing?

I agree! I'm glad they had a rewarding remuneration structure available to help motivate them. Good thing the majority of voters agreed to the taxing. Its also nice to know that those disgruntled by it enough can leave - selling their homes at competitive rates because their school district performs so well.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:23 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,110 times
Yes, quite obviously, teachers have been fair game for a long time. It's funny that no one is complaining about their "recreational" dollars going towards multi-million dollar contracts for athletes - you pay that one willingly. Or the same for stars, singers etc whose ticket prices for their movies and concerts are outrageous. You pay those willingly also. Not me.

You think a Kindergarten teacher who has been working for 30 years isn't worth the $100,000? Why? The skills and knowledge for that job are so important to the child's future in school, while being quite different from the AP science teacher whose course is actually optional, albeit difficult. I would submit that the AP teacher might have it a lot easier than the Kindergarten teacher. The students already know how to read, they are supposed to be of the highest caliber student, motivated and smart. The Kindergarten student is young, can't read, learning how to write and count, sometimes emotionally not ready, sometimes socially inept, being made to be in school for the very first time! Much more difficult to keep their attention and teach them than the AP student!

Teachers don't need to find another 60 days of work to satisfy your need, they already work full-time according to their work rules.

Regular ed teachers (which ones are those?) probably have a more difficult time teaching than the AP teachers, as per noted above. They get students at all levels of ability and motivation. In fact, AP teachers stay with the one or two courses while "regular" teachers can be moved about to several different levels of their subject area each year - remedial, Regents, Honors.

If a district has 40% or more of their teaching staff making $100,000 or more, then they have a very senior staff who is not retiring! The remedy to that is to offer them an early retirement incentive. The business supt will figure out what is needed to get several people to take the incentive and how much it will save the district the first year and from then on out. Brand new teachers coming in at 1/3 the salary is a great saving device.
Along with a concentrated effort at lowering salary increases across the board and requiring a bigger contribution to benefits will do the trick. It just takes some good negotiation!

Old 05-31-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Board members can vote against the adopted budget and have it mean nothing to a teacher's salary. It could be something very different that made them vote no.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:34 PM

Default I'll tell you why teachers are under attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Yes, quite obviously, teachers have been fair game for a long time. It's funny that no one is complaining about their "recreational" dollars going towards multi-million dollar contracts for athletes - you pay that one willingly. Or the same for stars, singers etc whose ticket prices for their movies and concerts are outrageous. You pay those willingly also. Not me.

You think a Kindergarten teacher who has been working for 30 years isn't worth the $100,000? Why? The skills and knowledge for that job are so important to the child's future in school, while being quite different from the AP science teacher whose course is actually optional, albeit difficult. I would submit that the AP teacher might have it a lot easier than the Kindergarten teacher. The students already know how to read, they are supposed to be of the highest caliber student, motivated and smart. The Kindergarten student is young, can't read, learning how to write and count, sometimes emotionally not ready, sometimes socially inept, being made to be in school for the very first time! Much more difficult to keep their attention and teach them than the AP student!

Teachers don't need to find another 60 days of work to satisfy your need, they already work full-time according to their work rules.

Regular ed teachers (which ones are those?) probably have a more difficult time teaching than the AP teachers, as per noted above. They get students at all levels of ability and motivation. In fact, AP teachers stay with the one or two courses while "regular" teachers can be moved about to several different levels of their subject area each year - remedial, Regents, Honors.

If a district has 40% or more of their teaching staff making $100,000 or more, then they have a very senior staff who is not retiring! The remedy to that is to offer them an early retirement incentive. The business supt will figure out what is needed to get several people to take the incentive and how much it will save the district the first year and from then on out. Brand new teachers coming in at 1/3 the salary is a great saving device.
Along with a concentrated effort at lowering salary increases across the board and requiring a bigger contribution to benefits will do the trick. It just takes some good negotiation!
You want to know why teachers are under attack here and elsewhere? Because their salaries haven't dropped like those of everyone else AND because they are predominantly women.

So, you have men and women making a living in construction or some service industry job making very little - maybe enough to get by. They look around, and see that these educated women are doing rather well. One way to do better, though it will improve life like hardly at all, is to reduce your property taxes (this will, however, cut off your nose because it degrades property values). So you demonize the women because you can traditionally do that with the hopes of driving down salaries and benefits for the people who teach our children.

Children were traditionally taught by men. When the state started to take this responsibility in order to ensure that NO KID would be denied an education, the "industry" was systematically feminized in order to reduce the cost of education - it was once legal to pay a woman less than a man for the same job. There is plenty of evidence for this.

Now, the tables are turned - women are becoming competitive earners and men don't like it.

There is likely to be a female teabagger in here who will tell me I'm nuts, but I don't buy it. The argument wouldn't have traction if it wasn't men predominantly voicing the argument.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:51 PM

Well, yes, I'm sure there is that consideration too. Hadn't thought about it myself, but I wouldn't doubt it's veracity.

Also, re lowering one's property taxes... we need to realize that when all the grievances for lowering taxes are totalled and given to the local district, the district needs to make up that lost amount to meet the budget that was already passed by the voters. This is why, in the Fall, you will see school boards setting the final tax rate. This is done after the townships have given them the final property assessments for the district's boundaries. If assessments go down then your district's tax rate goes up and you pay more taxes, and vice versa. So much for grieving your taxes!

Last edited by 7CatMom; 05-31-2010 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: My message was too short by 1 character? Weird.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:10 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Teaching in the K-12 gov't schools was primarily women until the Vietnam War and then women's lib changed the dynamics by first providing draft deferments to men who became teachers and then opening up other occupations to women, resulting in a dramatic increase in male K-12 teachers and a dramatic decrease in female K-12 teachers.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:11 PM

RE:You want to know why teachers are under attack here and elsewhere? Because their salaries haven't dropped like those of everyone else AND because they are predominantly women.

I guess if all else fails...turn to the race or gender card. Silly & childish for even bringing it up and you know it! I'll tell you the real reason that the focus is on teachers and administrators..... its because their bloated salaries and benefits are being paid for real estate tax dollars and about 75% of real estate taxes go to the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island