Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
Yes, I should have just gone to the bureau of labor statistics directly because that link is a few years old anyway. Here this combines the public and private middle school teachers in suffolk and nassau, excluding special ed. We all know that private school teachers get paid a lot less and not many have a problem with their salaries.

Here's the average salary for May 2009 of middle school teachers, private and public, and not including special ed: $80,820
Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education

Elementary school teachers in may 2009: $83,090
Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education

Secondary school teachers in may 2009, private and public, excluding special ed: $83,560
Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education

And looks like Nassau-Suffolk surpassed everyone else by May 2009, and yes even in middle school.
If you don't provide a median, then these numbers are almost worthless. Those wishing to claim others are paid too much often rely on averages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 AM

10 posts, read 17,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
Yes, I should have just gone to the bureau of labor statistics directly because that link is a few years old anyway. Here this combines the public and private middle school teachers in suffolk and nassau, excluding special ed. We all know that private school teachers get paid a lot less and not many have a problem with their salaries.

Here's the average salary for May 2009 of middle school teachers, private and public, and not including special ed: $80,820
Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education

Elementary school teachers in may 2009: $83,090
Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education

Secondary school teachers in may 2009, private and public, excluding special ed: $83,560
Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education

And looks like Nassau-Suffolk surpassed everyone else by May 2009, and yes even in middle school.

Ok, so accepting these numbers, you now must truly look at the numbers that affect you. Nassau teachers get paid more than Suffolk teachers and depending on the district; teachers in Great Neck get paid more than teachers in Roosevelt. Cold Spring Harbor teachers get paid more than Riverhead teachers. The tax rates reflect this, but the people in these areas also make very different salaries.
I am not here to sway anyone’s opinion. I just feel is it is better that people make informed opinions rather than those based on misinformation. If you feel teachers in your district make too much based on factual information that is fine. I do find it interesting that no matter what the teacher salary average is, people feel teachers make too much. If you look at stories from around the country, there are teacher bashers in every state complaining about teachers. It is sad that the people who do support teachers and feel that they are getting what they pay for do not get as much press. Economic times are tough and when people are hurting they look to lash out at some target, which usually means teachers.
As an aside, I find it funny that people only get to vote on school budgets and nothing else. When money gets tight, the only direct control people have is the school budgets. There is plenty of waste from the federal level down through the state and local levels that the people cannot vote on directly but can only influence electing politicians.
So, support or bash as you feel you must, just do it with facts, not assumptions or hearsay evidence.
Just for Contemplation

Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
If you don't provide a median, then these numbers are almost worthless. Those wishing to claim others are paid too much often rely on averages.
I agree, but so far I have only found the median for all of NY state. Median for Nassau or Suffolk or even Long Island in general seems to be hard to find. It would be interesting to see those numbers.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 AM

57,272 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
I would not say and average is worthless in fact it is a good indicator to most people. Why would you expect the median to deviate significantly from the average. Do you think there are enough big salaries in >$120,000 range to skew these numbers? I would not expect the average to be significantly off the average based on the salaries I have seen.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would not say and average is worthless in fact it is a good indicator to most people. Why would you expect the median to deviate significantly from the average. Do you think there are enough big salaries in >$120,000 range to skew these numbers? I would not expect the average to be significantly off the average based on the salaries I have seen.
Yes, there are. There are teachers in some very wealthy district with close to 30 years working that making 140,000+. So yes, there are large salaries out there that can skew the numbers.
Just for Information

Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Default No...

Quote:
A large difference between the median and the mean indicates that one of the two numbers (or bother) is skewed. However, if the numbers are similar, they help confirm the veracity of the other.

So, if you want further evidence of what you believe your average attest to, then provide the median. It would all come from the same data set, so it should be very readily available.

I don't care what satisfies most people. I want to know what the data actually says.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 AM

294 posts, read 610,209 times
I can only go by my SD (Herricks)...the difference between the mean and the median was negligible for 2009-2010. Food for thought when talking about arithmetic means; the number can be skewed in a downward direction just as easily as it can be in an upward direction when a list includes the salaries of part-timers, etc. That's where people can start manipulating the data a bit to better suit their position.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
We still need median.
There's a website that lists all teacher's salaries in NYS by school district. You know that already. Go there and figure out the median if you need it that bad.

FWIW, I know a teacher who retired a couple years ago and her pension is $66,000 a year. Not counting Social Security. The $85K doesn't look like such a far off number to me for working teachers.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:04 PM

57,272 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
A large difference between the median and the mean indicates that one of the two numbers (or bother) is skewed. However, if the numbers are similar, they help confirm the veracity of the other.

So, if you want further evidence of what you believe your average attest to, then provide the median. It would all come from the same data set, so it should be very readily available.

I don't care what satisfies most people. I want to know what the data actually says.

Table 10 in attached for Long Island the mean is:

$83780 elementary,$82,010 middle; $84,650 for secondary.

remainder of NY State (incl NYC):

$66,370 elementary $67,610 middle, $68,260 secondary

Also mean for experienced wages (top 2/3 of wages) on LI is $94,000 - $99,000
while entry level (bottom 1/3 wage earners) is $55,000 to $56,000

Anyway pretty close to the averages, not significant so is the veracity confirmed?

NSSBA Home Page Long Island Education:Costs and Outcomes

Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Default Yep, mean and average are pretty close...

Quote:
Table 10 in attached for Long Island the mean is:

$83780 elementary,$82,010 middle; $84,650 for secondary.

remainder of NY State (incl NYC):

$66,370 elementary $67,610 middle, $68,260 secondary

Also mean for experienced wages (top 2/3 of wages) on LI is $94,000 - $99,000
while entry level (bottom 1/3 wage earners) is $55,000 to $56,000

Anyway pretty close to the averages, not significant so is the veracity confirmed?

NSSBA Home Page Long Island Education:Costs and Outcomes
Yep - the mean and the average are pretty close. I would have guessed it because they mean the exact same thing. The median is a different measure of central tendency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island