Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 11:38 AM

168 posts, read 314,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Well, I guess we could, but only if:

Employers were held captive like taxpayers are and had a scenario similar to ours ("We will raise your real estate taxes AS MUCH AS WE WANT and we will not take into account how 'profitable' you and your family are either. If you do not pay all or part of them, we will take away your home").

Who has that kind of leverage over their employer?

Did you ever stop to think why pensions are no longer offered? Could it be because they are no longer feasible in this economic climate and have not been for a long time?

Yet you and others like you think taxpaying families can provide these things when businesses haven't done so in decades.
You have the right to collective bargain and there are self help means like strike. The workers did have that kind of leverage but unfortunately they were able to bust up most unions and the middle class degraded over the last few decades. People need to fight for what they want not fight to take away stuff from others. Unions didnt kill the automakers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacoupe View Post
You have the right to collective bargain and there are self help means like strike. The workers did have that kind of leverage but unfortunately they were able to bust up most unions and the middle class degraded over the last few decades. People need to fight for what they want not fight to take away stuff from others. Unions didnt kill the automakers
Yes, let's all go on strike in this economy with this unemployment rate!

That will get us: UNEMPLOYED and replaced immediately.

Thanks for the great idea!

I am fighting to STOP HAVING "STUFF" (AS IN EVER-INCREASING $$$$) TAKEN AWAY FROM ME to provide MUCH MORE THAN NECESSARY for a few certain classes of public employees who are only so entitled because their UNIONS own the gonads of the people they negotiate with.

If we the property taxpayers weren't stuck with the pricetag for this farce created by unions and their cronies, do you think I would be complaining about it for one second? NO! Absolutely not.

As for "unions didn't kill the automakers," well if the geniuses would have taken a steep paycut many would have at least kept their jobs and benefits, instead of (a) becoming completely unemployed in the economically desolate parts of the country they live in or (b) having to take a job that pays less money than what their decreased wages would have been.

The union pensions and health insurance benefits after retirement are what killed the automakers. Do you think the JAPANESE companies who have plants here give all that, plus high wages?

I will also say executive compensation was disgustingly greedy when it comes to the US automakers. Note Japan has an actual limit on how many times an average worker's salary can be multiplied for CEO pay. We could use that.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:07 PM

Got cut off. You hit the nail on the head with the US automakers not being able to compete with lower costs overseas. That's wasn't the unions fault. That was our own Government. Getting off topic though.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Got cut off. You hit the nail on the head with the US automakers not being able to compete with lower costs overseas. That's wasn't the unions fault. That was our own Government. Getting off topic though.
I was talking about not being able to compete with overseas companies who are building their cars within the USA and giving jobs to Americans here. There are foreign automakers who do that, you know. And they have been surviving better than the American automakers even though they also had the costs of manufacturing in the USA EXCEPT the superhigh CEO pay, crazy pensions and benefits after retirement, and inflated hourly wages dictated by the unions who ran the American automakers.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:10 PM

Got cut off. You hit the nail on the head with the US automakers not being able to compete with lower costs overseas. That's wasn't the unions fault. That was our own Government. Who could possibly compete with what is basically forced labor in places like china. Conditions that are so bad for workers that a company announced a 20% raise just to quell the suicides. Getting off topic though. Average teacher salary is nothing to write home about

Old 05-28-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Got cut off. You hit the nail on the head with the US automakers not being able to compete with lower costs overseas. That's wasn't the unions fault. That was our own Government. Who could possibly compete with what is basically forced labor in places like china. Conditions that are so bad for workers that a company announced a 20% raise just to quell the suicides. Getting off topic though. Average teacher salary is nothing to write home about
It's nothing to write home about EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE USA except Long Island (that don't also have unions holding the taxpayers hostage).

And then only because it is coupled with health insurance benefits for life for them and their dependents, guaranteed pensions that the employees have to pay a MINIMAL amount into, and job security no matter how crappy you perform your job, just as long as you don't do anything really criminal.

And even if you do commit a crime, even one against your employer, you will still get your pension no matter what. (See Tassone, Roslyn NY)

Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 PM

Not every distric has health insurance for life. Most just bridge to medicare. As far as keeping deffered compesation. Why shouldn't they. Its already earned. You can't take it away from them after they have earned it. Its just deffered till retirenment. 75k is nothing to write home about for the average teacher on LI. Pensions are still common among skilled/educated unions in private.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Not every distric has health insurance for life. Most just bridge to medicare. As far as keeping deffered compesation. Why shouldn't they. Its already earned. You can't take it away from them after they have earned it. Its just deffered till retirenment. 75k is nothing to write home about for the average teacher on LI. Pensions are still common among skilled/educated unions in private.
Where did I say anything about deferred compensation?

If people are allowed to bank vacation and sick days until retirement, then, no, it should not be pulled out from under them.

However, it should no longer be a practice UNLESS it is compensated at the rate of pay under which is was originally "earned" NOT at the highest and last rate of pay. Otherwise, once again, the taxpayer who has to foot the bill for everything loses out bigtime.

I agree that $75K for a teacher is not what I would consider way overpaid. But, once again, my most serious concerns are not with rate of salary.

I am not concerned with the entitlements given to union employees by private sector employers because I AM NOT PAYING FOR IT. It is none of my business and I do not care.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:16 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Teachers and union civil servants in general recive benefits of the union furthering their agenda. Just like the unions aren't looking out for whats good for the taxpayer, they really aren't looking out for the good of the member. It's simply the more that the member gets, the more the union gets on it's local level, and its national level. Unions have become a business just like any other, again the union member benefits because if they didnt there would be no union. However should a member have an issue that the union fighting on their behalf upset the unions cozy gig, that member isn't going to get much support.

I am a public sector worker, I will not say where and what state. I think you know what local state it can be. I am in a union although I'm not sure why. (I dont have a choice) Management recieves better health/dental benefits, a better pension, more vacation time, and higher pay with no union. While I appreciate the benefits that I recieve, they'd be better if I was non union (go figure) When I turn 65 after retirement I get put on the Medicare rolls just like everyone else.

Current scenario: In these fiscally poor times, layoffs are coming. The 'company' is required to give the union 30 days notice of a layoff. I was at a union meeting about 2 weeks ago to find out anything about layoffs, and they said to our face. "As soon as we know, you;ll know" Well a layoff notice was posted yesterday, effective next Friday. 30 days before that date is before the meeting where our union told us they hadn't heard anything. So are they really looking out for the members too?

BTW this is the second year in recent times we recieved a 0% increase, and considering the state of things, I am thankful to have a job, an am ok with that. We are not all greedy thieving bastards. I do work 40+ hrs a week (no overtime) and provide a service to the public, myself being included in that public.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:25 PM

280 posts, read 247,585 times
Quote:
That is an area of improvement I can agree upon. The problem is what to base the criteria on. We can probably all agree that a teachers role is only as effective as a childs home environment. Remember on this board if a student does well it because of the parents but if a student does poorly its the teachers fault.
And remember, according to teachers if the students do well it's due to the teachers' skills, but if students do poorly it's due to a poor home life

If teachers were the reason, or even a slight driver of student performance, what's going on in wyandanch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island