Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 05:27 PM

280 posts, read 246,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I've never heard of an old person being afraid of the rain. So, that "knowledge" isn't so commonly held. In fact, you seem to suggest that they have more pressing and immediate motivation to vote. That does make sense to me. So, one of two things happened, they DID vote, and caused the budgets to pass. Or, the younger families had less motivation to vote FOR the budget because their benefit was more abstract.

Moreover, seniors ostensibly have the entire day to vote. As such, they can wait for the break in the rain. As you suggest, they HAD to vote these budgets down in order to avoid consuming dog food. So, they had more freedom to find a more ideal time of day compared with the workaday folk who don't know what's good for them.
You've never heard of old people not wanting to go out in the pouring rain? Do you live in a cave? Do you even know any old people?

Secondly, families with kids have significantly more motivation to vote because they want to keep the after school programs. Seniors motivation for voting is less because even if the budget is voted down, it doesn't mean there will be any negative effect on taxes. Sorry, your critical thinking skills are lacking.

Finally, enough with the hyperbole. It suggests your arguments are weak (which they are). No one is saying seniors will have to eat dog food if the budgets are passed, but those on a fixed income are affected to a greater extent than those who get COLA every year. Common sense... not very common (at least not in northport).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 05:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,620,563 times
There seems to be only one way to stop this insanity:

Each school district should lay off all their administrators and all their faculty, sell all the school buildings and give each student in the district money to attend a school district, public or private, of their choice. That would reduce the annual school property tax bill for sure.

After laying off all the administrators and all the teachers and selling all the school buildings and most other school district property, the school district would no longer be an operating school district and would simply be a mechanism for collecting (reduced) property taxes and passing these funds as vouchers to the students in the district to use at a private school or at another still existing gov't school in districts that did not lay off their teachers and sell their buildings.

Newly formed private schools will bid for many of the school buildings that the school district will be liquidating and they will interview and hire many of the teachers laid off by the school district, but at a much more rational salary and benefits package.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Nursing isn't publicly funded. That's an important part, I think.

I'm not the one waving tea bags at cameras in Washington. I don't understand what's vulgar about it.
Oh ok, so it's only sexism when it's publically funded... gotcha. Keep reaching...

Secondly, the tea bags are a symbol. Calling them tea baggers is an insulting sexual reference and you know that. Stay classy.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM

852 posts, read 2,014,096 times
Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
You've never heard of old people not wanting to go out in the pouring rain? Do you live in a cave? Do you even know any old people?

Secondly, families with kids have significantly more motivation to vote because they want to keep the after school programs. Seniors motivation for voting is less because even if the budget is voted down, it doesn't mean there will be any negative effect on taxes. Sorry, your critical thinking skills are lacking.

Finally, enough with the hyperbole. It suggests your arguments are weak (which they are). No one is saying seniors will have to eat dog food if the budgets are passed, but those on a fixed income are affected to a greater extent than those who get COLA every year. Common sense... not very common (at least not in northport).
I've heard of "people" not wanting to go out in the rain. I try not to operate from stereotypes and old wives tales. So, I asked for something other than your stepwise reasoning that conveniently supports your point while based upon spurious assumptions.

So, if seniors had a relatively lesser desire or motivation to vote, then it seems to me that the budget accurately reflects both the empirical measure of support as well as the strength of desire behind the outcome. Both of these were considerations of Madison when helping shape American democracy.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
When I explained to you that "statistic significance" dealt with inferential forms of statistics that measure the relationships between things, you more or less said, "Blah, blah, blah, yeah, whatever...."

So, given that you demonstrated the maturity of a 7 year-old in that argument, I'm kind of shocked that you publicly chose to return to it.
Actually I don't disagree with the definition. You did a great job copying and pasting the definition. That doesn't mean you understand how to apply it. As I said, you cannot see how that definition would relate to a sample being large enough to be statistically significant. My response wasn't immature, it was disbelief that someone can be so dense and not understand a basic statistical concept. Very sad..

Old 05-31-2010, 05:37 PM

Default Huh?

Quote:
Oh ok, so it's only sexism when it's publically funded... gotcha. Keep reaching...

Secondly, the tea bags are a symbol. Calling them tea baggers is an insulting sexual reference and you know that. Stay classy.
Your analogy between gender bias when comparing teaching to nursing is bizarre because you are comparing apples with horses.

As I explained, when the mechanism for providing education switch from private to public sources, the public generally didn't want the teachers to be well paid and so that service was feminized.

It remained a largely women oriented service and salaries historically lagged behind most other services and manufacturing jobs. Now that manufacturing has gone away and the middle class is demonstrably losing ground, the teaching profession is under attack because traditional family providers, men, see themselves doing relatively poorly vis-a-vis women.

Notice no tea bagger is demanding that major municipalities cease support for athletics facilities or that state universities gut their athletics programs. Nope - the target is squarely on our neighborhood teachers.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I've heard of "people" not wanting to go out in the rain. I try not to operate from stereotypes and old wives tales. So, I asked for something other than your stepwise reasoning that conveniently supports your point while based upon spurious assumptions.

So, if seniors had a relatively lesser desire or motivation to vote, then it seems to me that the budget accurately reflects both the empirical measure of support as well as the strength of desire behind the outcome. Both of these were considerations of Madison when helping shape American democracy.
Well, if you cannot fathom how 70-90 year olds would not want to go out and drive in heavy rain to vote, there's nothing anyone can do for you (other than meds maybe).

The strength of desire of the vote is completely irrelevant. That sentence was a waste of bandwidth. I acknowledge that the budget passed, but it's a tough thing to vote down since those who benefit from the budget passing will do what it takes to get the budget to pass, including stuff mailboxes the night before.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:41 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,620,563 times
Teacher unions are the true tea-baggers.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:43 PM

Default Nope

Quote:
Actually I don't disagree with the definition. You did a great job copying and pasting the definition. That doesn't mean you understand how to apply it. As I said, you cannot see how that definition would relate to a sample being large enough to be statistically significant. My response wasn't immature, it was disbelief that someone can be so dense and not understand a basic statistical concept. Very sad..
That's not what statistical significance means. I mean, it was just a semantic glitch on your part, and you took it as a forward attack on you. I think your insistence that your improper use of the word was proper made you look like more of an idiot than you might actually be. I don't know for sure. I don't know what kind of head wounds you've experienced, so...

When I'm estimating from a sample the attitude, for instance, of a larger population, I need to sample a small number of people randomly. I deal with margin of error (+/- 5, or whatever), but I don't deal with statistical significance.

Statistical significance comes into play when I'm trying to find how two things co-relate (that doesn't mean sample co-relating with actual population). That means, attempting to understand how, say, smoking correlates with lung cancer, or religiosity correlates with conservatism. In the latter cases, I would want to know how statistically significant the results are, meaning, how likely the results are to occur, provided the sample was drawn at random, in 100 tries.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Your analogy between gender bias when comparing teaching to nursing is bizarre because you are comparing apples with horses.

As I explained, when the mechanism for providing education switch from private to public sources, the public generally didn't want the teachers to be well paid and so that service was feminized.

It remained a largely women oriented service and salaries historically lagged behind most other services and manufacturing jobs. Now that manufacturing has gone away and the middle class is demonstrably losing ground, the teaching profession is under attack because traditional family providers, men, see themselves doing relatively poorly vis-a-vis women.

Notice no tea bagger is demanding that major municipalities cease support for athletics facilities or that state universities gut their athletics programs. Nope - the target is squarely on our neighborhood teachers.
More garbage. Again with the vulgar reference. As I said before, only those who are unintelligent and have weak arguments need to resort to the vulgar sexual references.

Finally, your point that the public not pointing to state universities to gut their athletic programs is nothing less than assinine. The target is on local education, k-12. Why are you bringing in state universities? State universities don't comprise 70% of people's tax bills. Sorry, but you failed again. Terrible, just terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island